By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Adinnieken said:

Impact resistant windows would help significantly, especially if they include re-inforced frames.  They aren't a guarantee, however.  Laminated glass can give way with enough force, but they will hold up better than regular windows.  In Florida they're standard.  In Europe, I doubt they would be because of their expense.  Although on lower levels they would help prevent breakins.  Unless there is a regulation in Europe I'm unaware of, impact resistant glass would be extremely expensive for the average use.

My reference was more if a house like your parents was built in Florida or the Gulf Coast of the US.  I'm guessing that the majority of Europe sits high enough that if a hurricane strikes, the incoming tide would do little damage.  However, an area like the Firth of Clyde in Scotland would likely be inundated with an incoming tide.  Most of the coastal cities would have some significant damage.  Ayr, Irvine, Saltcoats, even Glasgow.

Typically, water gets in anyway it wants.  Under doors, through crawl spaces, pushing in windows or doors.  But it doesn't need to get inside to do damage either.  As with the tsunami in Japan, the outflow can either pulls down walls or undermine the foundations.

Generally speaking our houses don't turn into planes with a strong wind.  An F5 tornado is a different story, however in an F5 tornado the only safe places is in a purposed designed tornado shelter.  Regardless of the structure design, in an F5 tornado the 300+ wind speeds would obliterate any building.  Though, if you applied both hurricane and earthquake building codes it might withstand it better. 

You'd be surprised what our houses can withstand.  While we lack 1,000 year old buildings, because we haven't been around for more than 300, we do still have centuries old tinderbox, matchstick houses that somehow stand up. 

It's good to know your parents house is built with reinforced walls, I assumed being in Europe, your country lacked modern building stanards.

One side of our house is just glass. Its not like those are standard windows. The glass would otherwise collapse under its own weight or with the slightest wind. But thats beside the point, reinforced frames double glass impact resistancy those are standard features.  A lot of window manufacturer follow US safety standards (Dade County standard ?). I just looked up a few sites. But generally speaking our windows around here are top notch. 

Sure we have the old stuff still from the 70s/80s but everything new must be good. And people around here are known to rather spend a few bucks extra for safety windows and similar stuff and safe the money on a smaller TV or car again. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:

In Europe/modern Europe, double-glazing is standard which tends to be rather resiliant to knocks and bangs. Whether it is as good as a single sheet of impact resistant glass I don't know, but I've seen football(soccer balls) hit them at full force and just bounce right off. 

As for modern building standards in Europe, I think most modern houses are only one brick thick on the inside, and 2 with a cavity inbetween on the outside. Victorian used to be 3+; those houses are fantastic. 

Here in the US double-glazed (we call the double-pane) have been the standard in new/remodeled construction since the 1970's.  Now triple-pane is the new thing.   They've been around for about a decade that I know of.

Adinnieken said:
Mazty said:

In Europe/modern Europe, double-glazing is standard which tends to be rather resiliant to knocks and bangs. Whether it is as good as a single sheet of impact resistant glass I don't know, but I've seen football(soccer balls) hit them at full force and just bounce right off. 

As for modern building standards in Europe, I think most modern houses are only one brick thick on the inside, and 2 with a cavity inbetween on the outside. Victorian used to be 3+; those houses are fantastic. 

Here in the US double-glazed (we call the double-pane) have been the standard in new/remodeled construction since the 1970's.  Now triple-pane is the new thing.   They've been around for about a decade that I know of.

Dude there is nothing that exists in the US we don't have also. Why do you think houses are so expensive here ? Were does the money magically go ?

S.Peelman said:
It's not really a secret that Europe's housing is very expensive.

Especially Western Europe. For the price of the house I live in, you could buy mansions in other parts of the world. My house has three bedrooms, one bathroom and a living room/kitchen as well as a yard. That's pretty standard here. 120 square meters, so 1300 square foot I guess. That's big enough for most Europeans. We've lived in smaller homes (compared to the rest of the world excluding East Asia) for thousands of years, because there's no space.

There's been a big discussion already, but it's the absolute truth; what we lack in space we make up in built quality, hence the price.

No amount of normal natural forces except the apocalypse will be able to destroy our houses. They're all built with heavy, high quality materials. My own house has structural, load-bearing walls made of reinforced concrete 30cm (1 foot) thick on top of a reinforced concrete pile foundation! You could built a whole skyscraper with that. Interior walls are highly compressed sandstone for which you need heavy power-tools to make any kind of dent and the exterior walls are all bricks, high quality and very thick insulation with windows of multi-layered glass in hardwood or steel frames.

This is all standard for newer houses in most Western European countries, whether you live in the rural areas or not. Building in heavy stone materials, plaster and cement and even steel has been the tradition since the Romans. They must've done something right, even after numerous earthquakes that hit Rome, most of it still stands two-thousand years later.

When a quarter of my country, parts of Belgium and a good chunk of England was covered in over 20 feet of water in 1953 you didn't see any houses floating by. They all survived.

I think it's the lack of space that likely is one of the big reasons for the use of stone/brick so predominantly in many parts.  In the US, municipalities regulate how close houses can be to ensure there is enough space between wood-framed buildings to prevent a rolling fire.  My hometown was almost completely gutted when a fire spread from building to building. 

Because of the close proximity of homes and businesses in most European cities, the building materials have to be different.   Stone/brick walls, as well as slate and terra-cotta roofs can help contain a fire.  Rome did not burn in a day, but it did burn down. 

Wood has become the predominant building material because it's readily available.  That doesn't mean it is the only building material, and depending on where you live in the US it may not have even been the predominant one.  My great grandfather was a stone mason.  In my father's home town, I can go down streets and see evidence of my great grandfather's handiwork.  Chimneys, porches, or entire exteriors made of glacial field stones culled from farm fields, all built by my great grandfather.

However, wood is still the predominant interior building material.  A brick or stone wall is typically decorative, rather than functional.  The exception being chimneys.

Netyaroze said:
Adinnieken said:
Mazty said:

Dude there is nothing that exists in the US we don't have also. Why do you think houses are so expensive here ? Were does the money magically go ?

Because you're Europe and almost everything has to be more expensive just because.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:

I think it's the lack of space that likely is one of the big reasons for the use of stone/brick so predominantly in many parts.  In the US, municipalities regulate how close houses can be to ensure there is enough space between wood-framed buildings to prevent a rolling fire.  My hometown was almost completely gutted when a fire spread from building to building. 

Because of the close proximity of homes and businesses in most European cities, the building materials have to be different.   Stone/brick walls, as well as slate and terra-cotta roofs can help contain a fire.  Rome did not burn in a day, but it did burn down. 

Wood has become the predominant building material because it's readily available.  That doesn't mean it is the only building material, and depending on where you live in the US it may not have even been the predominant one.  My great grandfather was a stone mason.  In my father's home town, I can go down streets and see evidence of my great grandfather's handiwork.  Chimneys, porches, or entire exteriors made of glacial field stones culled from farm fields, all built by my great grandfather.

However, wood is still the predominant interior building material.  A brick or stone wall is typically decorative, rather than functional.  The exception being chimneys.

There is a little more space in the bigger countries like Germany, Spain and France, but I agree, here in The Netherlands, the #1 reason our homes are so expensive is because we have no space, and our building tradition evolved over the last centuries to fit the needs of that available space.

Just in a radius of 20 meters around me, there's like 10 other houses each with an average occupation of three people. And I'm in what you'd call a 'suburb' .

Netyaroze said:
Adinnieken said:

Lolwut? Double glazing hasn't been standard in Europe until the 90's, and triple glazing is unheard of even today. Stop trying to sugar coat things. The more I hear about US housing, the more it really seems that Europeans simply get ripped off at every turn. Oh my, we can withstand an earthquake....in one of the most tectonically stable places in the world (let's ignore greece & turkey). As for hurricanes and tornados, hate to break it to you but they are certainly not common place in Europe, and for the cash you save with a US house, you could easily put a bit aside and take extra precautions where needed.
Simply put there is fuck all that I've come across in this thread that would convince me that european homes are in any way superior. They are small, cramped, prone to damp and dust and generally a bit shit. And that's before looking at the price. 

Adinnieken said:
Netyaroze said:

Because you're Europe and almost everything has to be more expensive just because.

Exactly. For example:
Newegg vs Ebuyer
Bestbuy vs Currys

Mazty said:
Netyaroze said:
Adinnieken said:

Lolwut? Double glazing hasn't been standard in Europe until the 90's, and triple glazing is unheard of even today. Stop trying to sugar coat things. The more I hear about US housing, the more it really seems that Europeans simply get ripped off at every turn. Oh my, we can withstand an earthquake....in one of the most tectonically stable places in the world (let's ignore greece & turkey). As for hurricanes and tornados, hate to break it to you but they are certainly not common place in Europe, and for the cash you save with a US house, you could easily put a bit aside and take extra precautions where needed.
Simply put there is fuck all that I've come across in this thread that would convince me that european homes are in any way superior. They are small, cramped, prone to damp and dust and generally a bit shit. And that's before looking at the price. 

Adinnieken said:
Netyaroze said:

Exactly. For example:
Newegg vs Ebuyer
Bestbuy vs Currys

Triple glazing is becoming standard due to passive energy houses and heating cost savings . Its really not that special you will find it easy to get it here.

Our Taxes are higher so are property prices still  i could build a shack the size of the one posted here for 500k in rural Germany. Or I could pour all of it in a much smaller more energy efficent house.

The two building styles between Europe and USA are fundamently different. Thats where most of the price difference comes from and you can buy american style houses for much much less here too They build you one in a day a huge house if you really want. Property prises in UK add an extra I admit that but you can not compare old houses vs new ones just new ones vs new ones. I saw a whole settlement being raised 80% of the houses were my parents build were still oldschool some were build in a day. Explain to me if those houses are superior why 80% decided to build a more expensive stone/brick house over months instead of a house in a week for much less cost?

I am talking pure material cost difference a real house the size that was linked cost 4.5 Million. If I want to build it in the USA a house of that qualiry  I still pay Millions for it not 450k.

Netyaroze said:
Mazty said:
Netyaroze said:
Adinnieken said:

Adinnieken said:
Netyaroze said:

Exactly. For example:
Newegg vs Ebuyer
Bestbuy vs Currys

Triple glazing is becoming standard due to passive energy houses and heating cost savings . Its rdally not that special you will find it easy to get it here.

Our Taxes are higher so are property prises still  i could build a shack the size of the one posted here for 500k in rural Germany. Or I could pour all of it in a much smaller more energy efficent house.

The two building styles between Europe and USA are fundamently different. Thats where most of the price difference comes from and you can buy american style houses for much much less here too They build you one in a day a huge house if you really want. Property prises in UK add an extra I admit that but you can not compare old houses vs new ones just new ones vs new ones. I saw a whole settlement being raised 80% of the houses were my parents build were still oldschool some were build in a day. Explain to me if those houses are superior why 80% decided to build a more expensive stone/brick house over months instead of a house in a week for much less cost?

I am talking pure material cost difference a real house the size that was linked cost 4.5 Million. If I want to build it in the USA a house of that qualiry  I still pay Millions for it not 450k.

no. it would be cheaper in the US using the same materials. we have cheaper labor, and more importantly cheaper land. That is probably the biggest differing factor. That and the fees involved (in the US this would be school fees, property tax, and home inspections/code enforcement). Not sure what the european equilivents would be. There are plenty of brick houses in the US too, infact the one linked earlier is a brick house. The US uses different materials in different areas based on the needs of that area (earth quakes, floods, hurricanes, or tornadoes). But we have all styles across the US. Brick, stone, concrete, wood, etc.

Ok the thread crapped out on me not sure why,

but I can just read half.

Also yes it WOULD be cheaper

but the difference isn't that big alot of it is due to 

different building philosophies. Not a magnitude cheaper by default.