By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is a bad, lazy port.

Tagged games:

Ugh, I want to love this game but it's an incredibly lazy port. There are so many things wrong with it:

1) For starters, they directly ported the 3DS version, with all its shoddy textures and low poly models included. Yes, the WiiU version looks better than the 3DS version or Tri, but many textures (especially the water!) look significantly better in Tri. Why not just re-use Tri assets instead? Lazy lazy...

2) There is input lag. Just try to stand still with your character and move your left analog stick to the right or left. It takes a while before your character actually moves. This lag does not exist in the 3DS version or in Tri.

3) The framerate is not smooth at all. In fact, it seems Tri's framerate was smoother(??)

4) No more subquests. This was a vital part of the gameplay in my opinion and the removal of it entirely baffles me.

5) You can't kill Kelbi, and I assume some other minor monsters as well. Every attack, even the Great Sword slice attack, just knocks them out. Why nerf things like this? It gave Monster Hunter more depth. Now it doesn't seem to matter which weapon or attack you choose on smaller enemies.

6) You can't sleep in your bed anymore to pass to day or night. Not sure if this returns later in the game but I'm guessing not.

7) No more Wiimote controls. Why put the effort of removing something that worked so well? Another sign of a lazy 3DS port, without using Tri's features to really make this the Ultimate edition.

Anyone else disappointed by this game? I was so looking forward to it...

Around the Network

What the hell is going on with you? The game is brilliant. Almost everyone ,who owns it, is very happy with it.

foivosfoivos said:
What the hell is going on with you? The game is brilliant. Almost everyone ,who owns it, is very happy with it.

The game is brilliant, yes, but Tri was better. And that can't be right. If not for the shitloads of extra content, Ultimate is a downgrade in many ways. It just screams lazy port.

What you say makes no sense. If you like Tri so much, go back and play it instead. The Wii U is backwards compatible.

I hear you Chrizum, although I don't agree with several of your points (only 1 and 3 are relevant to me). MH3U on Wii U is great in spite of itself. It's a sloppy port, poorly polished when compared to the 3DS version or Tri on Wii.

I'll add that its usage of the touchscreen is terrible. It doesn't even fill the whole screen, the map is hard to read, and it missed the opportunity to improve inventory management, which is a sore point in the Monster Hunter experience.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Nem said:
What you say makes no sense. If you like Tri so much, go back and play it instead. The Wii U is backwards compatible.

I feel you're missing the point.

Hm, I agree with the control stick issue, already noticed it myself. About the graphics - environment looks meh (but the colors are very crispy!) while the big monsters look superb.

-Kelbis are the only monsters I couldn't kill so far

-This is a WiiU game, not a Wii game. No need for Wii controls (they were terrible anyways IMO...)

You are totally right. I've played almost every MH since MH Portable for PSP and I think they made a pretty bad job porting this. I feel that everyhting worked better on Tri.

For me, Tri was a huge step forward in terms of monster behavior and combat dynamics, not so much at the graphical level. In Tri Ultimate they have reduced difficulty TOO much, not only reducing monster's life and damage power but also decreasing their speed and removing attacks (what is particulary obvious and dissappointing in the case of Barroth, who reacts far more slowly than in Tri, making it a lot easier to kill). Also, the new monster appearances doasn't fit with the story since it remains the one seen in Tri (WTF is that firs appearance of Duramboros?? Totally out of place). At least in Portable 3rd you had a totally new story and location that gave some sense to the new monsters. Here, they just appear and doasn't matter if they fit or not.

At the graphical level it's not that bad considering it is an HD port, but still could have improved MANY things. For example, try to light the torch into the cave of Area 4 in Moga Woods and prepare your eyes to BLEED. Horrible... Also, despite monster colours and textures have been improved, landscapes still look as washed as they were in Tri, nothing to do with the colorfull locations of Portable 3rd.

You've also mentioned the removal of submissions, and I agree with you. Submissions added new targets and challenges, but also rewards. Removing them has been a big mistake. Same with the removal of Day/night cicle (wich later in the game is reincorporated, but, again, it doasn't make sense).

Overall, I'm finding it good, but not as good as Tri was with its difficult-to-difficult progression inestead of the "extremely easy-to-extremely hard" model of MHFU.

So... People (specially newcomers to the series) can say whatever they want, but this is a cheap port and could have many things improved.

Chrizum said:
foivosfoivos said:

The game is brilliant, yes, but Tri was better. And that can't be right. If not for the shitloads of extra content, Ultimate is a downgrade in many ways. It just screams lazy port.

I agree to some deegree. While I do not follow on all issues you have, I have noticed some of the stuff. Removing subquests seems so unnessecary, but they did it. Why isn't Arzuros around in the Moga-Woods, if you aren't on a quest? In quest he is in the same woods. Yes, there are many things they coul've done better. But all the extra-content makes the game basically much better than Tri.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Chrizum said:
foivosfoivos said:

how can tri be better when this adds a crap load more  content including weapons, armor, quests, Monsters etc..