By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Did Xbox 360 Fail in Japan?

Microsoft should not bother with Japan. Don't spend money on some jrpg:s which only few people want to play. Give us western gamers what we want and that will be enough.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
The same reason 360 sells better in US lol

The wii is the top seller....

I think he was laughing at the guy in the video.

What a shit logic to imply Japanese are xenophobic to American brands when Apple is very successful.

Turkish said:
What a shit logic to imply Japanese are xenophobic to American brands when Apple is very successful.

Ask the japanese guy who said so. Also: what changes this in the context of video-game consoles that Apple is successful with their gadgets?

Edit: I can't believe you even said "xenophobic"... There is no mention of that in OP.

Turkish said:

Apple is 'special' you'll see ;)

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Turkish said:

Ask the japanese guy who said so. Also: what changes this in the context of video-game consoles that Apple is successful with their gadgets?

The hell u talkin about contexts and stuff? You missed the point, I couldn't care less if Apple was selling underwear, Apple being an American brand is successful over there. Its making the exact same products the Japanese brands make, yet it can compete with them, unlike Microsoft with Xbox.

I guess is more like there are no other option for Apple in Japan... for 360 you have PS3 and Wii.

ethomaz said:
I guess is more like there are no other option for Apple in Japan... for 360 you have PS3 and Wii.

No option for Apple? Sony, Samsung and a gazillion other companies would like to have a word with you :P

Found this on another site. I'm posting it because it has some very good points and reasons to why Xbox360 failed in japan.

Issue of trust due to Microsoft's lack of and how fast it stopped support for Japan on the original Xbox;
Failure rate, RROD added to the untrustworthiness of the already bad Xbox brand;
360 was also known for scratching up disks and bad support;
Having to constantly pay for online for something that is free on PS3, yet support on content is lacking compared to the west;
Constantly paying for online does not suit the majority of the gaming audience in Japan ie students;
Having to over pay for expensive proprietary add-ons like harddrives and HD-DVD drive;
Lack of games of interest;
A few RPG's were good but the support soon stopped just like the original Xbox, as predicted;
Bonus of Blu-ray and future proofing;
All the exclusives eventually went to PS3 and had more content;
Kinect doesn't work in 90% of Japanese homes; XXXX
Don't blame this on patriotism at a country full of iphones and foreign products, you simply made a worse product XXX

IGN can suck my left nut

Turkish said:

That is because their is nothing else from Japan like Apple.  

The one implying is Japanese himself and he is not the first one saying this.

Then again a company like Sony is not just a Japanese company,  Sony is in the Japanese history books for being one of the companies that build up the country after WOII and also one of the companies responsible for making Japan famous as the High tech country for many Decennia.. 

That is changing though thanks to the popularity of other asian countreis like South Korea and the arrogance sony used to small retailers in Japan...  Like on asian forums you will read frequently ' Sony became big thanks to us ( the Japanese) but now is fucking/forget us( Japanese).