By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield 4 might run at 60fps on next-gen consoles, according to DICE

EXPECTING 1080P AND 60 fps from ps4.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
i know it isnt this simple but is frame rate related more to the processing power of a console or the RAM?

processing power.

Shinobi-san said:

Superchunk, there is no difference between laptop GPU's and desktop GPU's.

Quite frankly the only difference (talking AMD here) is the core clock speed. Usually what AMD does is take a series of GPU's from say desktop mid range, downclock the core speed and call it a series higher when moved over to a laptop or "M" variant. You making as if there is architectural differences between the GPU's, there usually isnt unless the mobile gpu is based on an older desktop version. AMD does not develop the GPU's independantly.

The best example of this is the 7970M gpu. This GPU is based on the "Pitcairn" gpu ie. 7870 and 7850 desktop gpu. In fact it is the EXACT same gpu as the 7870. Exact. One difference = core clock speed tweaked down from 1000mhz to 850mhz.

So what about the PS4 you say? Based on the PS4 specs that we know it is sitting pretty much exactly like this ---> 7850 < PS4 GPU < 7870/7970M

Granted the PS4 has some major customisations like the added memmory bandwidth which is higher than both the 7870/7970M. We also obviously know about the increased amount of memory which is 8GB. There are also other smaller tweaks which result in a give and take on performance compared to the above mentioned GPU's. Other than that this is the exact same gpu also based on pitcairn. Have a look at the gpu architecture drawings and you will see what i mean.

The final big similarity is that of the overall performance. The ps4 gpu has almost 2tflps of raw computation performance. This is exactly between the 7850 and the 7870/7970M gpu's. Exactly.

So please tell me what mobile gpu you are talking about? Keep in mind that the 7800M series is a downclocked version of the 7700 desktop series. These gpu's have raw computation power of ~0.8tflps. 

And to make this entire argument completely useless, both Sony and AMD have already announced that the PS4 gpu has 18 full GCN cores. This is two more cores than the DESKTOP 7850 gpu and 2 less than the DESKTOP 7870 gpu.

Again il reiterate 7850 < PS4 GPU < 7870/7970M.

If you already knew this then my bad. However i get the feeling your understanding of mobile laptop gpus is a bit off.

THey do more than just down clock it. Either way, I never said it was different architecture. I've always maintained that it was the same just lower-power and lower-cost.

I always see a lot of people saying they want 60hz. But I can't tell the difference between 30hz and 60hz or even 120hz. So long as it's locked at a solid 30hz with no screen tearing I'm happy.

bananaking21 said:
i know it isnt this simple but is frame rate related more to the processing power of a console or the RAM?

You'll have 0 frames if you don't have any RAM, and 0 frames if you don't have a CPU. It's not more related to either.

... Snobbery aside, I guess what you were trying to ask is what usually acts as the bottleneck for framerate on consoles. CPU and VRAM are pretty equal in that regard.

Around the Network
anonim1979 said:
Battlefield 4 will be 60fps and 720p on PS4/X720

60fps and 720p or 1080p 30fps will be standard in next gens.
New Killzone runs at 30fps 1080p
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-killzone-shadow-fall-demo-tech-analysis

PS4 will have tablet class CPU (though 8 core one) clocked at 1,6Ghz with budget-level (even for today standards) GPU with power between Radeon 7830 and 7850.
You simply need to compromise with such hardware.
And X720 probably will be similar or even somewhat slower if leaks are true.

It's 2.0ghz per core now, actually. Nothing amazing, but not as bad as we initially thought either.

Also, the GPU is between a 7850 and a 7870, Shinobi-san already gave the break down I was going to give for why. 7830 doesn't exist.

yeah, it also might be on Wii U!

ooopsy.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

kain_kusanagi said:
I always see a lot of people saying they want 60hz. But I can't tell the difference between 30hz and 60hz or even 120hz. So long as it's locked at a solid 30hz with no screen tearing I'm happy.

There is a difference. Especially for the controls. The input lag is much lower in a 60fps game it feels better, tighter more responsive. Its also visible, there is a certain fluidity to everything . Not every game profits from it but alot do.  

@Superchunk 

I read a few comments from you in different threads, it seems to me that you underestimate the next gen Consoles due to overlooking a few things. 

To the GPU part. Its definetly not lower cost than a 7850 its a bigger die for just the GPU alone, also not the same architecture. Its very likely to be way more efficent than a 7850. Its atm slightly lower clocked but still has a higher performance overall and especially per watt. 

Also we don't know the architectural details yet and the potential advantages an APU has versus a classic CPU+GPU architecture. You can not compare the PS4 APU 1:1 to a PC GPU. It doesn't work that way. No Direct X Overhead+Windows+ optimization+unified Ram+no PCI Bottleneck between CPU/GPU+improved GCN Architecture+fixed configuration advantage. Combined it does make a difference

And really we don't know what exactly Sony and AMD cooked up but its definetly better than the plain GCN Architecture used in Pitcairn GPUs.

And its not a mobile GPU part. It will not consume 30 Watt but 100 + whatever the CPU needs.

Its really not a standard Laptop part and Tablets will take forever to reach that kind of performace.

There is just one "mobile" AMD GPU that is in the same league as the one in the PS4 and thats the 7970m which is a 7870 downclocked by 200mhz and eats up 100 Watt. Its available for 10 pound Laptops with 17 inch screens, all other mobile GPUs are nothing like that, not even close.

If you want to look at PC gaming now and guess how PS4 will perform without much optimization you have to look at a 7870  Benchmark if not higher. A significant amount of power gets wasted on PC due to Drivers/APIs and Windows its the price to pay for an open and flexible system.

It better bloody well run at 60fps, anything less on a next gen console (especially with the PS4 specs) is not good!