By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield 4 might run at 60fps on next-gen consoles, according to DICE

Netyaroze said:
superchunk said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=157783

The HD7970M is low-power and far more likely. See thread linked.

Hmm. You are seriously mixing up things the stuff you posted in that link is misleading or even wrong.

7850 has 130 Watt BOARD POWER.

"AMD advertises the board power at 130W (7850) and 175W (7870), board power is different then the TDP. If you try and visualize the power control settings slider in the Catalyst center, then you'll realize that you can increase it 20% meaning at default the TDP is roughly 20% lower then AMD's 130W for the 7850 and 175W for the 7870."

So 20% from 130 Watt is 100 Watt TDP. Thats the stock TDP of the 7850.

The board allows you to go higher if you want to. So yes the7850 has a possible max TDP of 130 Watt. Meaning the Card is designed to cool the GPU if you run it at the max. Take the GPU redesign Card/Cooling and it maxes out at 200 Watt TDP. 

Now the 7970m has usually not a TDP of 75 but 100 Watt. But It CAN Have a TDP of 75 Watt and what it actually has depends on the engineer designing the Notebook which is not AMD.

You are wondering right now why there are so many different numbers on the net, if you have googled it. 

Well see TDP is variable it depends on the clocks and the strength of the cooling system/power supply. If you "overclock" a 7970m to 1 GHZ the TDP will be 175 Watt and you will have a 7870 GHZ Edition in your Notebook.

See a Notebook clocks a certain chip higher or lower depending on the battery. If you have a huge strong one you can have the GPU running higher power.

Well a PS4 can use Powerlines so they will not use low power because it makes no sense. (Unless your name is Nintendo).

Low Power wafers are the ones with  30 Watt 10 Watt.

A Gefore Titan Can be considered a mobile GPU if you carry a backpack with Hydrogencells around. 

Its really die size and Transistor count that determins how big a GPU is not TDP. And the PS4 GPU is bigger and can far exceed the power of a Desktop 7850. 

Where does low Power begin for you ? Desktop ranges from 20 Watt (7350) to 375+ Watt (7990) max TDP. 

"The TDP is reference design TDP values from AMD. Different non-reference board designs from vendors may lead to slight variations in actual TDP." 

The TDP tells people how much Temperature can be transported safely away without the GPU overheating. You can freeze a GPU to absolute Zero and make it a Superconductor and feed a it insane amounts of Watt. You can do it with a mobile GPU aswell as Desktop GPU. 

So low Power is determined on how much Power a certain chip gets and where do you think low power starts what are the criteria ?

You have no idea how much watts a PS4 GPU will need but I can tell you with 1.84 Tflop its highest end mobile TDP and Midrange Desktop TDP.

The GPU itself is bigger than a 7850 so please define how the PS4 GPU is low power, low cost, mobile GPU ? Is everything not high end low power to you ? Do you think PS4 can run on a Laptop battery ?

Hmm i dont think hes read anything we have said. He still doesnt seem to get that the the 7970M and the 7870 are the exact same gpu. I don't really know how else to convince him.

Anyways, howcome i cant click on your profile :? I like your posts. They are much more clearer and in depth than mine!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Shinobi-san said:
superchunk said:

LOL you actually made a thread with completely wrong info congrats

Again theres no difference between the GPU's. Have fun deluding yourself bro.

Wrong info? Please show me in that thread.

No difference?

That's like saying a Toyota and Lexus are the same as they have similar base and company. There's a reason why the TDP drops by 1/2 between the desktop and mobile GPUs and its not just clock speed.

Yes, they have same basic features and can utilize the same tech. But one is significantly more powerful than the other.

No just no. The 7970m is EXACTLY THE SAME CHIP AS 7870. They are produced the same if you have a Wafer full of Chips one might become a 7970m the other a 7870. This is decided afterwards. A 7850 is a smaller Chip.

Netyaroze said:
superchunk said:

Hmm. You are seriously mixing up things the stuff you posted in that link is misleading or even wrong.

7850 has 130 Watt BOARD POWER.

"AMD advertises the board power at 130W (7850) and 175W (7870), board power is different then the TDP. If you try and visualize the power control settings slider in the Catalyst center, then you'll realize that you can increase it 20% meaning at default the TDP is roughly 20% lower then AMD's 130W for the 7850 and 175W for the 7870."

So 20% from 130 Watt is 100 Watt TDP. Thats the stock TDP of the 7850.

The board allows you to go higher if you want to. So yes the7850 has a possible max TDP of 130 Watt. Meaning the Card is designed to cool the GPU if you run it at the max. Take the GPU redesign Card/Cooling and it maxes out at 200 Watt TDP. 

Now the 7970m has usually not a TDP of 75 but 100 Watt. But It CAN Have a TDP of 75 Watt and what it actually has depends on the engineer designing the Notebook which is not AMD.

You are wondering right now why there are so many different numbers on the net, if you have googled it. 

Well see TDP is variable it depends on the clocks and the strength of the cooling system/power supply. If you "overclock" a 7970m to 1 GHZ the TDP will be 175 Watt and you will have a 7870 GHZ Edition in your Notebook.

See a Notebook clocks a certain chip higher or lower depending on the battery. If you have a huge strong one you can have the GPU running higher power.

Well a PS4 can use Powerlines so they will not use low power because it makes no sense. (Unless your name is Nintendo).

Low Power wafers are the ones with  30 Watt 10 Watt.

A Gefore Titan Can be considered a mobile GPU if you carry a backpack with Hydrogencells around. 

Its really die size and Transistor count that determins how big a GPU is not TDP. And the PS4 GPU is bigger and can far exceed the power of a Desktop 7850. 

Where does low Power begin for you ? Desktop ranges from 20 Watt (7350) to 375+ Watt (7990) max TDP. 

"The TDP is reference design TDP values from AMD. Different non-reference board designs from vendors may lead to slight variations in actual TDP." 

The TDP tells people how much Temperature can be transported safely away without the GPU overheating. You can freeze a GPU to absolute Zero and make it a Superconductor and feed a it insane amounts of Watt. You can do it with a mobile GPU aswell as Desktop GPU. 

So low Power is determined on how much Power a certain chip gets and where do you think low power starts what are the criteria ?

You have no idea how much watts a PS4 GPU will need but I can tell you with 1.84 Tflop its highest end mobile TDP and Midrange Desktop TDP.

The GPU itself is bigger than a 7850 so please define how the PS4 GPU is low power, low cost, mobile GPU ? Is everything not high end low power to you ? Do you think PS4 can run on a Laptop battery ?

Please see other thread for reply.

Shinobi-san said:

Hmm i dont think hes read anything we have said. He still doesnt seem to get that the the 7970M and the 7870 are the exact same gpu. I don't really know how else to convince him.

Anyways, howcome i cant click on your profile :? I like your posts. They are much more clearer and in depth than mine!

I also think he is missing the point a little, well I don't think I could have been clearer than I was in my last posts so I am curious to see his explanation if he has one that is.

My profile ? Not sure I think I deactivated it a couple of years ago or something since there is nothing on it anyway. 

Shinobi-san said:

I see that and get that.

I was looking at 7850 and 7970M and whether or not the "M" variant was more than likely the one in the PS4.

See other thread for where that is going... I think I definitely misunderstood how they display / rate TDP.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Shinobi-san said:

I see that and get that.

I was looking at 7850 and 7970M and whether or not the "M" variant was more than likely the one in the PS4.

See other thread for where that is going... I think I definitely misunderstood how they display / rate TDP.

I see. 

Ok to the question wether its  7850 or 7970m in the PS4, its neither. 

7850 is 16 CUs 7970m is 20 CUs PS4 is 18 CUs. Its also going to have an improved architecture (8 ACEs)

Its more like the 7790 with more CUs/ROPs/TMUs. 

Netyaroze said:

7850 is 16 CUs 7970m is 20 CUs PS4 is 18 CUs. Its also going to have an improved architecture (8 ACEs)

PS4:
18 Compute Units (1152 Stream Processors)
800Mhz
32 ROPs
72 TMU (speculated or is it confirmed now?)
1.84 TFLOPS Single Precision compute power

7850 is 16 CUs but with bigger clock (860Mhz in reference models) it compensates it mostly.

So the easiest to compare it would be 7850, not reference ones with bigger clocks (900+) are faster.

Going down to 7790 makes problems with everything needing to be better.... not a good point of reference.

And 7870 is too far in lead to catch it. However IF Sony raised clocks behind everybody backs on their APU :) like they made that with that "4GB? It's 8GB now. " switch :)

20 Compute Units (1280 Stream Processors)
1000Mhz Engine Clock
32 ROP Units
80 Texture Units
2.56 TFLOPS Single Precision compute power

anonim1979 said:
Netyaroze said:

PS4:
18 Compute Units (1152 Stream Processors)
800Mhz
32 ROPs
72 TMU
1.84 TFLOPS Single Precision compute power

7850 is 16 CUs but with bigger clock (860Mhz in reference models) catches somewhat.

So the easiest to compare it would be 7850, not reference ones with bigger clocks (900+) are faster.

Going down to 7790 makes problems with everything needing to be better....

I think it can't be really compared, its really different from a 7850 in terms of architecture. 

Its like if 7870 and 7850 made a child the 7860. And the 7860 has some 7790 genes in it. The child is a 7860 but its clockspeed genes are kind of weak. So it becomes a 7855 unless Sony decides to increase the clockspeeds.

VGKing said:
teigaga said:
They should probably prioritise FPS over the resolution. 1080p over 720p will only make a obvious difference for around half the audience (those with TV's over 40"), below that its starts to look the same.

Frame rate however will change the experience for everyone

There's a huge differene between 1080p and 720p. I can easily see the differnce in my 20" monitor on Guild Wars 2.
I imagine the difference would be massive on a 40" HDTV.

But you're comparing a moniter which I'm sure you sit mere inches from, to a Tv which people sit many feat from. Of course it varies on peoples set ups (how far from the TV they are), but Frame rate has a universal value, resolution does not. 

Really it would be usefull consoles provided you choice between the 2 as is the case for PC, when the option for maxing everying is not available. 

teigaga said:
VGKing said:
teigaga said:
They should probably prioritise FPS over the resolution. 1080p over 720p will only make a obvious difference for around half the audience (those with TV's over 40"), below that its starts to look the same.

Frame rate however will change the experience for everyone

There's a huge differene between 1080p and 720p. I can easily see the differnce in my 20" monitor on Guild Wars 2.
I imagine the difference would be massive on a 40" HDTV.

But you're comparing a moniter which I'm sure you sit mere inches from, to a Tv which people sit many feat from. Of course it varies on peoples set ups (how far from the TV they are), but Frame rate has a universal value, resolution does not. 

Really it would be usefull consoles provided you choice between the 2 as is the case for PC, when the option for maxing everying is not available. 

Hopefully they don't offer that option. Let the devs have full control on how they want the game to look and run. We don't need to replicate this part of PC gaming.

I do sit close to the monitor, but the difference is OBVIOUS. I'm not counting pixels and I'm not zooming in to stuff. You can just tell the picture quality goes wayyy up. It's much more clear. The bigger the monitor/tv the more noticeable this change will be.  Doesn't matter that we're sitting further away since the TV is much bigger in size than a monitor.