By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you support gay marriage or not? What is your reasons?

DraconianAC said:
aikohualda said:
Desertghost said:
DraconianAC said:

I'm not entirely informed in the subject, but from what I've heard both sides a decent argument to make. It's a matter of opinion really, but here is mine.

I believe that gay couples should have the right to a civil union under State & FEDERAL law. They can call it marriage if they like, I don't care, but they can't force any specific religion to marry them under their doctrines.

------>One problem that may arise from this is if polygamy has a grounds for appeal too if society begins to accept it as a norm. I can't even think of any type of civil union that may be taboo, but I think it's out there.

It's a very controversial subject like abortion. For some people it is not, and I can understand because of where they stand; however, I think both arguments have some legitimate concerns. If you doubt me, just listen to what the supreme court justices discuss the subject. Things that I never thought of are in the conversation.

You made a very fine point mentioning polygamy, If they make gay marrigae legal then why not make poligamous marriages legal aswell? if its all about rights and equality. Make that legal too whatever you might say, but when will it stop?

We live in society that the only moral principle is: "If it dosen't physically hurt anyone, then why not"? That's it. Think about it. People expect you to be "open-minded" about everything now.

The question is: "what will be our base for moral principals?"

they are not allowing polygamy because they are phobiting a conduct.... they are prohibiting gay marriage "like prop 8" is because of their sexual status, which came the debate being unconstitutional...

so gay would sacrifice their rights to be married so we would avoid polygamy being in the law????? that is kinda unfair since polygamist are hetero dont you think??????

I'm sorry, I can't seem to understand you points in this post. I'll try to answer as best I can though.

As I understand it, the woman who brought this issue to the supreme court had a legimate claim that the Federal government taxed her $300,000 after her spouse died in the State of New York. New York recognizes her joint legal status, but the federal goverment (DOMA) did not. So she is sueing in the claims that gay couples with legal state civil unions are not being recognized by the federal government. The Obama administration already said they will not defend federal law that stated that marriage was between a man and a woman, so the house of representatives have taken on to themselves to hire an attourney to defend it.

One of the questions that arouse from one of the justices went into the expanding the definition of marriage that would be recognized by the government of the United States. He asked if giving claim to same sex marriages would open the debate up to other practices. Poligamy came into question because some religions actually accept it. By openning up the definition of marriage to same sex couples, would they then be bound to cross-examine others. It seems to me like a valid question. Moroms used to practice Polygamy (some still do), and if I am correct so does Islam. I warrant that with the rise of Islamic immigrants and a possible rise in their faithful could lead to them having a case being brought up to the supreme court in a couple of decades or so. Just something to think about.

If your interested in hearing what I have to say about legalizing Polygamy then here it is:  If a man can afford having more than two wifes and can prove it with his tax returns + pay more taxes for the privilage, sure let him have as many wifes as he likes. He should; however, be able to provide a separete house per wife and be able to afford to send his kids to school. He can only send his first wifes kids to pubic schools for free, and have collateral set aside for each household just incase things go south. The government shall determine the amount that is needed. =P

the case here is being able to legalize same sex marriage.... so i dont know why people keep inserting this stuff...

even in the supreme court...

Sotomayor begs the Scalia question.
JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR: Mr. Olson, the bottom line that you’re being asked — and — and it is one that I’m interested in the answer: If you say that marriage is a fundamental right, what State restrictions could ever exist? Meaning, what State restrictions with respect to the number of people, with respect to — that could get married — the incest laws, the mother and child, assuming that they are the age — I can — I can accept that the State has probably an overbearing interest on — on protecting a child until they’re of age to marry, but what’s left?

MR. OLSON: Well, you’ve said — you’ve said in the cases decided by this Court that the polygamy issue, multiple marriages raises questions about exploitation, abuse, patriarchy, issues with respect to taxes, inheritance, child custody, it is an entirely different thing. And if you — if a State prohibits polygamy, it’s prohibiting conduct. If it prohibits gay and lesbian citizens from getting married, it is prohibiting their exercise of a right based upon their status. It’s selecting them as a class, as you described in the Romer case and as you described in the Lawrence case and in other cases, you’re picking out a group of individuals to deny them the freedom that you’ve said is fundamental, important and vital in this society, and it has status and stature, as you pointed out in the VMI case. There’s a — there’s a different -

Around the Network

Tricky question.

Personally I'd prefer the state simply civil union everyone. Equal rights for most legal purposes. No point in using the term marriage in a laic state... let people call themselves married if they want or marry in a church to do so as it was originally the case.

However, the really touchy point here concerns the adoption of children or the use of artificial insemination by homosexual couples. Even if studies were to proof children are best raised on a standard family environment, what would that mean juridically? Would single-parent families, or children raised by their grandparents, be subject to a prohibition too? Hell, it's complicated.

Lol, you Americans are so medieval! Here in Holland us gays have been getting married for ages, it's nothing special. In fact, I'm gay and have been in a steady relationship for years, but have no intention of ever getting married. If we wanted, me and my BF could go and get married tomorrow, but I couldn't care less! It's nice to have the option though, the government shouldn't have any voice in deciding whether I get married or not, and to a man or a woman, for that matter. Religion shouldn't even try to chime in, what with how irrelevant it's become nowadays.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Yes. Because I'm not an ***hole.

aikohualda said:

the case here is being able to legalize same sex marriage.... so i dont know why people keep inserting this stuff...

even in the supreme court...

Sotomayor begs the Scalia question.
JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR: Mr. Olson, the bottom line that you’re being asked — and — and it is one that I’m interested in the answer: If you say that marriage is a fundamental right, what State restrictions could ever exist? Meaning, what State restrictions with respect to the number of people, with respect to — that could get married — the incest laws, the mother and child, assuming that they are the age — I can — I can accept that the State has probably an overbearing interest on — on protecting a child until they’re of age to marry, but what’s left?

MR. OLSON: Well, you’ve said — you’ve said in the cases decided by this Court that the polygamy issue, multiple marriages raises questions about exploitation, abuse, patriarchy, issues with respect to taxes, inheritance, child custody, it is an entirely different thing. And if you — if a State prohibits polygamy, it’s prohibiting conduct. If it prohibits gay and lesbian citizens from getting married, it is prohibiting their exercise of a right based upon their status. It’s selecting them as a class, as you described in the Romer case and as you described in the Lawrence case and in other cases, you’re picking out a group of individuals to deny them the freedom that you’ve said is fundamental, important and vital in this society, and it has status and stature, as you pointed out in the VMI case. There’s a — there’s a different -

May I ask if you're implying that I'm inserting stuff? Or are you stating that others are?

Around the Network

Yes, people should be aloud to love whomever they want male or female.

Branko2166 said:
Devil_Survivor said:
I support gay marriage because I believe everyone should have the right to show their love for another person in anyway they choose, whether it be marriage or something else. I like to point that very few countries in the world have a pro gay marriage law, and if the U.S. had one it would make the country look better in the a lot of eyes I think :).

Or worse. Keep in mind that the mentality for the majority of people outside of western Europe and North America is overwhelmingly anti gay. So while I agree that some may view it positively I am fairly confident that the majority will point to it as an indicator of how immoral people in the west have become.

Interesting way of looking it, and your probably right, as much it pains me to think of the world like that.