By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you support gay marriage or not? What is your reasons?

Being against gay marriage now is like being against interracial marriage 50 years ago or being against divorce however many years ago. You're on the wrong side in history.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

I am not against it. It is just a contract between two people

i thought gays could get married,straight people get married down the town hall all the time

are we talking gay marriage in churches and mosques,i get a bit confused by it all

Above & Beyond

DraconianAC said:

I'm not entirely informed in the subject, but from what I've heard both sides a decent argument to make. It's a matter of opinion really, but here is mine.

I believe that gay couples should have the right to a civil union under State & FEDERAL law. They can call it marriage if they like, I don't care, but they can't force any specific religion to marry them under their doctrines.

------>One problem that may arise from this is if polygamy has a grounds for appeal too if society begins to accept it as a norm. I can't even think of any type of civil union that may be taboo, but I think it's out there.

It's a very controversial subject like abortion. For some people it is not, and I can understand because of where they stand; however, I think both arguments have some legitimate concerns. If you doubt me, just listen to what the supreme court justices discuss the subject. Things that I never thought of are in the conversation.

You made a very fine point mentioning polygamy, If they make gay marrigae legal then why not make poligamous marriages legal aswell? if its all about rights and equality. Make that legal too whatever you might say, but when will it stop?

We live in society that the only moral principle is: "If it dosen't physically hurt anyone, then why not"? That's it. Think about it. People expect you to be "open-minded" about everything now.

The question is: "what will be our base for moral principals?"

zuvuyeay said:
i thought gays could get married,straight people get married down the town hall all the time

are we talking gay marriage in churches and mosques,i get a bit confused by it all

There are ceremonies held by religions and there are contracts held at goverment offices. A church for example is not forced to held a homosexual ceremony if a goverment recognizes the right for homosexuals to marry.

Desertghost said:
DraconianAC said:

I'm not entirely informed in the subject, but from what I've heard both sides a decent argument to make. It's a matter of opinion really, but here is mine.

I believe that gay couples should have the right to a civil union under State & FEDERAL law. They can call it marriage if they like, I don't care, but they can't force any specific religion to marry them under their doctrines.

------>One problem that may arise from this is if polygamy has a grounds for appeal too if society begins to accept it as a norm. I can't even think of any type of civil union that may be taboo, but I think it's out there.

It's a very controversial subject like abortion. For some people it is not, and I can understand because of where they stand; however, I think both arguments have some legitimate concerns. If you doubt me, just listen to what the supreme court justices discuss the subject. Things that I never thought of are in the conversation.

You made a very fine point mentioning polygamy, If they make gay marrigae legal then why not make poligamous marriages legal aswell? if its all about rights and equality. Make that legal too whatever you might say, but when will it stop?

We live in society that the only moral principle is: "If it dosen't physically hurt anyone, then why not"? That's it. Think about it. People expect you to be "open-minded" about everything now.

You guys have a point and I thought about it before as well. At one point some type of partnership will be discriminated against or everything will be permited. I still don't have any problem for same-sex couples though. I think the solution, like members mentioned in here as well, is for the state not to take part in any type of marriage.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
axumblade said:

My facebook profile pic for today.  <3 

I.....am....for gay marriage...*ducks* I've been in a committed relationship longer than almost literally all of my friends who are married now with kids. I'd like to join them for the party. :/

Why'd you duck, Axum? We all love you here!

OT: I fully support gay marriage. Not one human being should decide if someone can or can't marry someone else.

In my humble opinion, the Government should be out of the marriage business.  If this was the case then marriage would be a totally religious thing and at that point it would all but irrelivant.  If for some reason the government needs to be involved then at a maximum it should be the state governments rulings on this and not a federal law.

Now having said that, and seeing that the government will probably not get out of the marriage business, they must pass laws based off of some moral ground.  In the U.S.A. that moral ground is based off of Jedao Christian values, and as such gay marriage should not be allowed.  If a government allowed gay marrage then the next logical step would be for family members to marry.  This may sound a bit insane but many would do it just for insurance reasons.  So then one has to ask what exactly is marriage?  Again the answer to this question doesn't involve the government, but it is two people making vowes in front of God.  

In most peoples view, the government could go away tomorrow, tear up everyones marrage certificates and the people that were married would still consider themselves married.  Does anyone really need the government to tell them this?  Unfortunately, this comes down to money, and if the government wasn't so large (and powerful), then this wouldn't be an issue at all.  

Now the real question is why are there so many non video game posts on a video game site?  

Desertghost said:
DraconianAC said:

Same argument could have been applied to interacial marriage.

Im all for it. in the sense that it doesnt bother me at all because it has no effect on me and anyone else who isnt gay. So i think if you do have a problem with that's your loss and pretty pathetic aswell. why should anyone be able to tell others who they can marry the only peoples business it is are the gays getting married, they dont tell you what to do.

fatherofone said:

In my humble opinion, the Government should be out of the marriage business.  If this was the case then marriage would be a totally religious thing and at that point it would all but irrelivant.  If for some reason the government needs to be involved then at a maximum it should be the state governments rulings on this and not a federal law.

Now having said that, and seeing that the government will probably not get out of the marriage business, they must pass laws based off of some moral ground.  In the U.S.A. that moral ground is based off of Jedao Christian values, and as such gay marriage should not be allowed.  If a government allowed gay marrage then the next logical step would be for family members to marry.  This may sound a bit insane but many would do it just for insurance reasons.  So then one has to ask what exactly is marriage?  Again the answer to this question doesn't involve the government, but it is two people making vowes in front of God.  

In most peoples view, the government could go away tomorrow, tear up everyones marrage certificates and the people that were married would still consider themselves married.  Does anyone really need the government to tell them this?  Unfortunately, this comes down to money, and if the government wasn't so large (and powerful), then this wouldn't be an issue at all.  

Now the real question is why are there so many non video game posts on a video game site?  

We play video games but I know I for one do much more than just play games.  That is why I like to talk about other things besides games every once and a while.  I know I do make a lot of off topic stuff on this site but I'm interested in other people's opinions on the subject.  We have a very intelligent user base for the most part and some people bring up very good points about many off topic subjects like Jay520 and Kain.  Many more, but they are the first two that comes to my mind.