By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Builtlean: 180,000 Deaths Linked To Sugary Drinks

FitLinks: 180,000 Deaths Linked To Sugary Drinks

A recent study links 180,000 obesity-related deaths worldwide to sugary drinks, including 25,000 adult Americans. The US & Mexico, which both have a very high rate of sugared-drink consumption, are at the top of the countries with high sugar-related deaths. Diabetes caused the highest number of deaths, with cardiovascular disease and cancer coming close behind. With all the controversy over the dismissed Soda Ban, this study comes at a charged time and holds some compelling research.

Relating to nutrition, we have two articles that warn about excessive consumption of certain nutrients in food and supplement form. There are also some great bodyweight workouts for you to try and a cool article about why music is so effective in motivating you to workout.

Please Note: The articles and videos listed below are informative, popular, newsworthy, or a combination of all three. Just because we have included an article within FitLinks does not necessarily mean that BuiltLean supports, or agrees with its contents or views. If you have a question about our position on any article, please leave a comment and we will be happy to respond!

Around the Network

much less as i thought if true

€dit: ok it's only obesity-related deaths due to sugary drinks which means it could be more if we look at all dead people who died because of sugar in cakes and whatever (there are a lot of people who eat much sugar but drink only water or coffee, especially older people)

...Specifically, the researchers found that in 2010, 132,000 deaths from diabetes, 44,000 deaths from CVD, and 6000 deaths from cancer in the world could be attributed to drinking sugar-sweetened soft drinks, fruit juice, or sports beverages...

spurgeonryan said:
180,000 out of 7 billion people?

Look out!

:-p

Because all 7 billion people drink sugar everyday.

Sugar isn't the problem. Too much sugar is the problem. The people who drink so much soda that they give themselves diabetes and obesity are drinking too much soda. The millions of people who enjoy a soft drink a couple times a week don't need to be warned that too much sugar is bad for them. This study doesn't tell me or any other responsible adult anything they didn't already know.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
180,000 out of 7 billion people?

Look out!

:-p

Considering the leading desease in America (Which also is often linked to poor eating habits) is Heart disease which kills 600,000 a year then 180,00 from just sugar drinks is a lot.  Heart disease is caused by numerous thing where as one type of drink alone is killing up to 180,000 a year.  Point is that these type of drinks are garbage that people are putting in there bodies.  You want to drink it then go ahead but it is bad for you no matter what you say.

kain_kusanagi said:
Sugar isn't the problem. Too much sugar is the problem. The people who drink so much soda that they give themselves diabetes and obesity are drinking too much soda. The millions of people who enjoy a soft drink a couple times a week don't need to be warned that too much sugar is bad for them. This study doesn't tell me or any other responsible adult anything they didn't already know.

Your body needs sugar.  In fact Fruits has sugar in them.  It gives you energy and the recommended sugar intake a day is 30 grams.  One can of soda (Coke) has 39 grams of sugar.  That means one 12 oz can already puts you over your daily needs of sugar.  Not to mention all the other health factors with soda.

spurgeonryan said:
I never said it was not bad. They addict you as a kid. I do no give my kids hardly any sweets and never soda.

It is too late for me.

Don't be rude.

No worries.  I may have misunderstood you or something.  Not trying to be rude.

kain_kusanagi said:

People who don't drink a lot of sugary drinks also become obese and get diabetes.

If you just had a diet of sugary drinks and healthy foods, you'd be fine. Its the crap you get at most fast food places that really cause obesity. Hamburgers, pizza, and other horrible foods you get in mass quantities is the real cause of obesity. Even if you aren't drinking sugary drinks, those foods eaten reguarly destroys your body.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
kain_kusanagi said:

People who don't drink a lot of sugary drinks also become obese and get diabetes.

If you just had a diet of sugary drinks and healthy foods, you'd be fine. Its the crap you get at most fast food places that really cause obesity. Hamburgers, pizza, and other horrible foods you get in mass quantities is the real cause of obesity. Even if you aren't drinking sugary drinks, those foods eaten reguarly destroys your body.

I dont think it just is with them either.  The problem is bad chouice after bad choice.  Sure plenty of lying food labels and false advertising is partially to blame, but the blame still is in the person's hand who chooses to eat and drink that way.  

The food industry in a whole is bad and fast food leads the way with unhealthy choices.  however there is healthy options out there that people are passing up.