By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Builtlean: 180,000 Deaths Linked To Sugary Drinks

JayWood2010 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Sugar isn't the problem. Too much sugar is the problem. The people who drink so much soda that they give themselves diabetes and obesity are drinking too much soda. The millions of people who enjoy a soft drink a couple times a week don't need to be warned that too much sugar is bad for them. This study doesn't tell me or any other responsible adult anything they didn't already know.

Your body needs sugar.  In fact Fruits has sugar in them.  It gives you energy and the recommended sugar intake a day is 30 grams.  One can of soda (Coke) has 39 grams of sugar.  That means one 12 oz can already puts you over your daily needs of sugar.  Not to mention all the other health factors with soda.

That doesn't matter. A can of Coke a week is not going to kill anyone. One day you might not get even half your daily RECOMMENDED sugar and another you might get more. So long as you don't overdo it you'll be fine.

If you don't like sugar drinks that's fine. Other people do and so long as they are responsible about how much they consume let them enjoy it. I've had the same discussion with vegans who think they know better about ALL food.

A fast food burger is only bad for you if you eat it every day. A can of soda is only bad for you if you drink too many of them. The same goes for salt, cheese, chocolate, eggs, bacon, corn and everything else. You can eat too many apples too you know. Apples have a lot of sugar and if you ate a ton of apples it would be about the same as eating too much candy. Sugar is sugar so it doesn't matter where you get too much of it from. Should people drink soda instead of water? No. Should we take their rights away to stop them? Hell no.

I just don't like people telling others what they can and can't eat. I don't have a problem with your thread post, it's the rise of Food-Nazi propaganda that I'm sick of in this country. It's fine to get the truth out to educate people about how to make the right choices in moderating their food and drink. What I don't like is the fascist assault on tasty treats. If they don't like tasty treats they're free to avoid them, but don't pull my occasional treat from my mouth and tell me it's for my own good. Once or twice a year I feel like eating a God damned doughnut and sometimes I crack open a can of soda to go with my home made low fat low calorie whole wheat crust pizza with less than 150 calories slice. As an adult I think I may have the right to do that.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
JayWood2010 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Sugar isn't the problem. Too much sugar is the problem. The people who drink so much soda that they give themselves diabetes and obesity are drinking too much soda. The millions of people who enjoy a soft drink a couple times a week don't need to be warned that too much sugar is bad for them. This study doesn't tell me or any other responsible adult anything they didn't already know.

Your body needs sugar.  In fact Fruits has sugar in them.  It gives you energy and the recommended sugar intake a day is 30 grams.  One can of soda (Coke) has 39 grams of sugar.  That means one 12 oz can already puts you over your daily needs of sugar.  Not to mention all the other health factors with soda.

That doesn't matter. A can of Coke a week is not going to kill anyone. One day you might not get even half your daily RECOMMENDED sugar and another you might get more. So long as you don't overdo it you'll be fine.

If you don't like sugar drinks that's fine. Other people do and so long as they are responsible about how much they consume let them enjoy it. I've had the same discussion with vegans who think they know better about ALL food.

A fast food burger is only bad for you if you eat it every day. A can of soda is only bad for you if you drink too many of them. The same goes for salt, cheese, chocolate, eggs, bacon, corn and everything else. You can eat too many apples too you know. Apples have a lot of sugar and if you ate a ton of apples it would be about the same as eating too much candy. Sugar is sugar so it doesn't matter where you get too much of it from. Should people drink soda instead of water? No. Should we take their rights away to stop them? Hell no.

I just don't like people telling others what they can and can't eat. I don't have a problem with your thread post, it's the rise of Food-Nazi propaganda that I'm sick of in this country. It's fine to get the truth out to educate people about how to make the right choices in moderating their food and drink. What I don't like is the fascist assault on tasty treats. If they don't like tasty treats they're free to avoid them, but don't pull my occasional treat from my mouth and tell me it's for my own good. Once or twice a year I feel like eating a God damned doughnut and sometimes I crack open a can of soda to go with my home made low fat low calorie whole wheat crust pizza with less than 150 calories slice. As an adult I think I may have the right to do that.

While I agree with you completely a lot of people are unaware.   We are above 60% overweight and it is steadily raising in the United States and that is alarming.  

I'm not trying to take away food from anybody, but people need to be informed.  That one soda a week or every few days is fine but tell me how many people only drink just one?

JayWood2010 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
kain_kusanagi said:

People who don't drink a lot of sugary drinks also become obese and get diabetes.

If you just had a diet of sugary drinks and healthy foods, you'd be fine. Its the crap you get at most fast food places that really cause obesity. Hamburgers, pizza, and other horrible foods you get in mass quantities is the real cause of obesity. Even if you aren't drinking sugary drinks, those foods eaten reguarly destroys your body.

I dont think it just is with them either.  The problem is bad chouice after bad choice.  Sure plenty of lying food labels and false advertising is partially to blame, but the blame still is in the person's hand who chooses to eat and drink that way.  

The food industry in a whole is bad and fast food leads the way with unhealthy choices.  however there is healthy options out there that people are passing up.

They aren't as tasty!

People don't necessarily have to eat healthy per se. Just not gorging on much more calories than they need would be a good start.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JayWood2010 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
JayWood2010 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

While I agree with you completely a lot of people are unaware.   We are above 60% overweight and it is steadily raising in the United States and that is alarming.  

I'm not trying to take away food from anybody, but people need to be informed.  That one soda a week or every few days is fine but tell me how many people only drink just one?

Most people I know only drink soda occasionaly and only eat fast food once or twice a month. I'm not around a lot of teens so maybe my sample size is bias.