By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 720 not part of GDC. Let's talk about it.

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2293059677526185744#editor/target=post;postID=473691143414672714;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

I think the fact that the next Xbox isn't part of the GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE speaks volumes about what Microsofts plans for this console are. There's a reason Sony anounced the PS4 back in February. They wanted to be able to talk openly about the PS4 in these events. It is surely a mistake on Microsofts part. I think they're being a little arrogant just like Sony was back in 2006. "Next Gen doesn't start until we say it does". 

Any sort of mention about the next XBox has been dominated by negative rumors such as it blocking used games while the PS4 has already been announced and people are discussing its specs, its launch games and speculating on price and wonder when they can pre-order.What do you think?

Around the Network

Indeed they are missing out on valuable game announcement time. They will soon fix that.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

GDC is not a place to make an announcement. Heck as far as I know no web site does a stream of the event. This is an event made by developers and for developers. 

If the 720 is there it will be close doors, they will not show it to the public.

Nintendo and PC gamer

well oddly more talk has been about xbox more than the ps4. although its negative lol.. i dont think ms is being arrogant keep in mind that with sony going the 8 gb route that shifted the system from both being fairly the same to one having considerable more power.

whatch my words microsft has killed the amd processor and shifted to nvidia lol...
have you seen nvidia say anything about microsoft lately.

GDC is all about game developers talking to other game developers. It's rare to announce new video game consoles at GDC. As far as I am aware I don't think Sony or Nintendo are pushing their next gen systems hard at the even because it's not about that.

MS liked to announce their hardware in big overproduced events. The Xbox 360 was first shown on MTV for Pete's sake. I expect MS to very soon start leaking real details and have a mid April television debut on MTV or Spike TV. If not TV than I think they will have some kind of big party and stream the event on XBL. MS won't talk much about tech or show a lot of tech demos, but they will show teasers and trailers for games and list off all the crazy features they know will sell to consumers.

MS knows they aren't sell the Xbox 360 to tech geeks who want to know every detail about the hardware, they are selling it to people who want the best games while they sit on their couch. Those people will watch a TV special or a brief XBL stream, but they won't sit through a two hour boring shareholder sales pitch.

When E3 comes around that's when MS will talk directly to shareholders and retail because that's what E3 is about. GDC is about devs talking to other devs. PAX is about gamers and that's why MS has Halo there in force.

Around the Network

I don't think there's any arrogance there. They just haven't revealed it yet. If they showed it a month after the PS4 reveal then it'd reek of 'me too'ism. Plus, revealing at GDC would be an awful move, it's not an event that targets consumers.

Microsoft will show it off soon no doubt.

I think this might actually be more significant than some are saying.

The Xbox was announced at a GDC for a November that year launch
The 360 was announced via some MTV tv show in May for a Nov release.

An E3 announcement would be the first console MS has annoucned at E3, and (assuming it launches in Nov 2013) the shortest amount of time between announce and launch for MS ever.

It's hard to draw patterns with only 2 data points, but it's starting to look possible that MS will not release Nov 2013.

they announced the 360 in may (yes earlier to some people but officially with specs and stuff in may), not sure why they should do it much ealier this time just because sony did it. as if it would make such a difference for the console itself if a small part of gamers already talk about it on internet forums.

devs will know already some stuff about the nextbox, maybe even as much as they know about ps4, the rest is not that important 8 months or so before release.

i mean, most of the people on vgc and other sites already know which console or consoles they will buy, it's not as if most of the people here will buy a ps4 instead of a  nextbox because of the earlier announcement, they knew it already way before the ps4 announcement and outside of this forum world it's important to be in the news weeks before release and not now.

just because we won't see any talk doesn't mean there won't be any.

I am surprised they didn't want to have it as part of GDC, unless of course rumors of pre-production issues are true and they simply cannot mention it yet.

nxbox rumors started way before PS4.

We'll surely know of it well before E3 though.