By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - how to market a console like a boss ? sony and microsoft take notes, nintendo shows you !!!

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
So Nintendo's solution to the Wii U's sluggish sales is to advertise it against ... the Wii?

Way to go strong, Nintendo. Show the competition no mercy. You go out there are you take all 20,000 would-be Wii customers a week and you convince them to buy a Wii U instead!

Well, that's it, people. Problem solved.

They gave up on directly competing with Microsoft and Sony homeconsoles after the Gamecube, I'm not surprised they're trying to stay as far away from that fight as possible right now.

Around the Network

Sounds like the "It's not the DS, it's the 3DS" campaign or whatever they had to use.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

If the problem is that people don't know what the project is or how it is different, this is one way to demonstrate it.

Basically, the WiiU is to the Wii as the PS3 was to the PS2, until Sony took the backward compatability out.

As for the question "Why?" That is a common question when you have a product that people are not buying and don't fully understand. It does point to some previous marketing deficies, tht is for sure.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

DietSoap said:

That chart just makes it look like an updated Wii variant. They really aren't doing themselves any favors, and it seems clear they're trying to have it both ways as stupid and counter-productive as it is.

Indeed. Dumbest idea ever to make such a chart that basically says "Our new thing is a little better than our old thing".

this list is on their website since launch, and some stores with online shopping (like gamestop) already had it too. Kotaku overreacting like always. and this isn't so bad. an average casual or person who thinks its an addon probably can get a image out of the wii u.

Around the Network

Just rename the thing Wii Ultra, you can use the same logo and promo mats and people will know that is obviously and ultra Wii so you win! AAAAAaahhHHhh!1!!!

Chark said:
Sounds like the "It's not the DS, it's the 3DS" campaign or whatever they had to use.

Did that work out?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

EDIT: NVM

Otakumegane said:
Chark said:

Did that work out?

For the most part. I still think there is some confusion left and the higher than expected DS sales last holiday season kind of supports that. A 3DS isn't much more expensive than a DS and still plays DS games. I'd guess gift shoppers don't know the difference still.

What they should be doing with the Wii U is keep the name, because it is too late, but put it in the background and just start marketing the thing as "The New Wii" because consumers will immediately understand that.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Super Wii Advance 64