By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the PS4 be a revolution to the industry?

^Was about to post the exact same thing. Course if it did have something revolutionary then it'd sell even better, so they should always be striving for said revolution.

Around the Network

No. I am fine with that. the SNES and PS2 are my favorite consoles and they were refinements of previous generations and gave me amazing games. I will be happy if the games are the focus and not other aspects like forced in features.

ThatGreekGuy said:

Do you believe that it will be something that will change the console market and industry?

I think it has the possibility to sell huge and usher in a sh!t ton of new features that will make older systems feel like sluggish dinosoars, but it won't be the mainstream revolutions that were the PS2 and Wii.

No, which is why it disappointed me (but not as much as WiiU did).

It'll be a fine console but in a quickly evolving industry I doubt it'll even make PS3 numbers.

Mario_pana said:
What are you guys talking about I think it will.
1. PS4 is on demand from two to three weeks ago.
2. It has cloud streaming games PSone, PS2, PS3 it's the future of backwards compatibility.
3. It is very developer friendly easy to make games, because of this there will be more suport in more exclusive franchises.
4. You can play a part of a game that you have finished for a friend who can't beat it.
5. There is a grathics jump like PSone to PS2 and I thort grathics could not become much better.
6. No load times. 😃

1. PS4 is on demand from two to three weeks ago.

Have abosolutly no clue what this have to do with the PS4 being a revolution to the industry.

2. It has cloud streaming games PSone, PS2, PS3 it's the future of backwards compatibility. 

Its the future when Sony can actually show this feature working without issues.  If Sim City, Diablo3 and a host of other games have shone, game companies and the internet is not ready for such internet traffic.  Also with people having limits to the amount of data they can upload and download we will see how much this feature actually is used.  If we are to go by Online, there is a lot of things that will need to change before this is a feature worth anything more than a bullet point on the console box..  Saying you can do something and actually having the bandwidth to actually make it work is 2 different things.

3. It is very developer friendly easy to make games, because of this there will be more suport in more exclusive franchises.

I am sorry but this is not revolutionary.  This was already done by MS with the first Xbox and just because Sony got wise and did the same thing isn't suddenly going to change the industry.  As developers have already stated the WiiU is easy to develop for and you can bet the next Xbox will as well.  As someone stated before, welcome to 2005 Sony.

4. You can play a part of a game that you have finished for a friend who can't beat it.

Out of everything you stated this actually sounds pretty damn good but until we see it implemented its just wishful thinking.  I want to see implementation not marketing talk because we already seen that with MS kinect.  MS stated all these great things you will see the Kinect do but when it came to implementation the hardware was not capable.  Right now Sony only talked about what they want to do, we have not seen what they can actually bring to the table.

5. There is a grathics jump like PSone to PS2 and I thort grathics could not become much better.  

This jump just make the PS4 comparable to TODAY's PC capability.  Everyone expects the PS4 to have a decent jump in visuals but so far from the games they showed at their press conference, there isn't nothing there that says the PS4 will outclass whats capable for PC today.

6. No load times.  

We will see about this one.  More memory does help with load times but revolutionary is more towards evolution as both consoles and PC has tons of memory to accomplish the same task.

Personally I do not see any particular feature shown at the PS4 conference for the PS4 that says it will change the industry.  Most points people have stated are already done by other companies, hardware or infrastructure.  The PS4 is a solid but it's not lighting my fire.  The CPU is a mobil chip and the GPU has the power of a mid range graphics card at this time.  The 8GB of GDDR is the most exciting thing as far as hardware goes but I am interested in see how Sony will solve the latency issue with CPU intensive parts of a game and will there need be compromises.

Around the Network

No I don't think it will. However I think the 8th gen games hopefully will. It looks like the race is on for photorealism, or at least beginning to see characters as people rather than NPC's. I think this emotional interaction will push gaming out of the immature, similar crap it has been the entire 7th gen and give us something new and improved.

Occuls Rift however may revolutionise gaming.

nej

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Yes it definitely will but I say the next Xbox will be part of that as well. Next-gen consoles will change the way we play. We're already seeing Wii U letting you play without a TV. That is a revolutionary feature.

I'm guessing the 'revolutionary' design of PS4 and 720 will be the ever evolving tech of both consoles. With this constant talk of hardware generations ending -- Both Sony and MS are quite aware that streaming will allow them to deliver games without releasing pricey dedicated hardware every few years. In the current smartphone/tablet dominated market it's easy to figure out that streaming is the only way to combat the smartphone tech that emerges ever 1.5yrs. Social features such as Facebook/Youtube/Twitter/Tumblr support will all play a major role. Both Sony and MS are developing consoles post smartphone revolution. What we see from them will mimic what is available on handheld mobile devices.

Sony and microsoft aren't going to present anything groundbreaking. Neither company has lead the charge on anything in the last few years. I would expect more of a 'catch up' and 'ride the wave' strategy from both Sony and MS. Microsoft may try to overplay it's kinect card... but it's a toss up right now. Nobody knows what they actually have lol.

Since nintendo isn't a threat on any level, even this early in the generation -- it's obvious that it's going to get pretty heated in the next 8 months.

Are you kidding? Sony isn't even trying to revolutionize anything. They're just using the same old Playstation formula with a heavy dose of cost control.

To be fair, the industry as a whole and Sony in particular sure do need to learn to control costs.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.