By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where do you buy your games?

Where do you purchase games from?

Gamestop 20 17.54%

Amazon 35 30.70%

Steam 12 10.53%

Other Retailers 24 21.05%

Other Online 23 20.18%

Total:114

Mostly Amazon and Best Buy for new games.

Around the Network

Something like

90% Amazon

5% Steam

5% Best Buy

Fayceless said:
Gamestop and Steam. People don't understand Gamestop's value to gaming. Wal-Mart and other general retailers stock mainly shovelware and big hits because their uneducated (gaming-wise) consumers only buy crap. Niche games need a physical home, a presence in stores, otherwise they may not be released at all. Why do you think Xenoblade Chronicles was Gamestop-only? They were most likely the biggest retailer who would even stock the game. Do you really think Wal-Mart would move Shooter-Hunter/Colorful Mini-Game 2013 for a JRPG franchise with a cult following? Forget about it, their customers are mainly rednecks and little kids (or their parents) who pick up the redneckiest or most colorfully packaged games.

Someday online will be the way to get games. Until then, we need actual game stores.

Thats a fault of your country and people who changed their taste in games the most in this Gen.
Say thank you to everyone who supported the wrong console and games in this Gen.

I live in Austria and we had Xenoblade standing in EVERY shop - Didn't matter if small retailshop or a big electronic market in big malls.
EVERYONE had Xenoblade and of course all those other "niche" games in stock.
Probably a reason why Europe is getting those games far earlier than the USA without even have to start crying on the internet to get at least a few copies.

We didn't change our taste that much.We are still loyal to Nintendo and especially Sony and get all the games cause we still have a market and enough interest for it.
Support the PS4 and Nintendo NextGen and it will change again.Stop buying copy+paste shooters and Publishers/Developers of Japanese Games see a reason to think about you again.
Wal Mart and co would stock them too if enough interest from the people over there does exist.
Didn't they release Xenoblade over there in just a small number of units in general?Of course they chose gamestop for selling those few units - Its a big name and it has the biggest chance to sell those few units to those that could be interested in it.

@Thread

PC - Digital Only...Steam and Origin - Lol@ the EA hate
Console - Small retail shops...Some shops here sell games new for 45-50€ on the release date while gamestop and big retailers often sell them for 70€.
Funny thing is if you can prove those shops sell them that cheap gamestop has to lower their price too*g*
Imports - I used VG+ a lot in the early days of this Gen cause i wanted some 360 games earlier and of course they were far cheaper thanks to the strong Euro.
For Japanese Imports i use play-asia.

Amazon.com and Gamestop.

Amazon, Gamestop, and Xbox Live (Microsoft), but I'll even check out Ebay or Half if price is more important than time it takes to get to me.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Steam

eShop

Amazon

Gamestop

and Origin (only cause of ME3 so far)

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

EB games and Ebay.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

gamestop %95 of the time and best buy the other %5

All over the place. Gamestop/EB Games and other game stores primarily but I'm a real bargain shopper and will buy from whatever store or online site has the best price. Usually wait for games to drop in price before buying.

Amazon, except in very rare cases. I get free release day delivery, they often get good pre-order bonuses (money off next game), and are often cheaper so why wouldn't I?

Amazon Prime is about the most amazing thing ever and easily pays for itself every year so it baffles me why anyone wouldn't have it.