By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jack Thompson defended Gaming? NO WAY!

If anyone calls this fake, you are a crazy bitter fool

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

its a trap I say!

Rath said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
To: Jack
I like your new glasses.

ROFFLE!

Jack probably only "defended" Mass Effect because he knew Cooper Lawrence was already on her way to a trainwreck and he didn't want to buy a ticket.

Jack Thompson has been in so many train wrecks that no driver should ever let him on board, one more wouldn't hurt.

Maybe he is just anti-violence not anti-sex?

No man is anti-sex. lol

Thompson shows a shred of rationality for the very first time.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

I think I'm more shocked that Galaki is in regular contact with Jack Thompson. :o

Around the Network

Rath sums it up. Video game sex isn't his specialty, video game violence is what he goes after, so he's got his own car to wreck without trying to hijack someone else's.

I don't know about that. Jack's criticisms of The Sims were every bit as moronic as what Cooper Lawrence said about Mass Effect.

In the statement, Thompson says, "Sims 2, the latest version of the Sims video game franchise ... contains, according to video game news sites, full frontal nudity, including nipples, penises, labia, and pubic hair."

The Sims 2 is a "life simulator." In the game, players steer their digital beings around their cyberlives. Actions include everything from the spectacular (getting married, having children, receiving promotions at work) to the mundane (cooking microwaved meals, going to the bathroom, mopping the floor). Such activities, as in real life, sometimes require nudity. EA circumvents inappropriateness by "blurring" out the nether regions, almost to a comical sense.

Knowing that the game is popular among all ages, EA has even taken steps to ensure that Sims fans aren't exposed to indecent depictions. In the recent expansion pack, The Sims 2 University, gamers can send their teenage sims off to college. However, instead of packing the expansion with "keggers" and "reefer," EA chose to use juice and bubble blowers.

Thompson doesn't seem to care. He cites a cheat code that can remove the blur that covers the nether regions. "The nudity placed there by the publisher/maker, Electronic Arts, is accessed by the use of a simple code that removes what is called 'the blur' which obscures the genital areas. In other words, the game was released to the public by the manufacturer knowing that the full frontal nudity was resident on the game and would be accessed by use of a simple code widely provided on the Internet."

It's not just the adults that are liberated from their wardrobes. Sims kids can also be nudified, "much to the delight, one can be sure, of pedophiles around the globe who can rehearse, in virtual reality, for their abuse."

Were this to be true, Thompson would have his smoking gun, and EA would be forced to recall all copies of The Sims 2. However, it's what's under the blur that Thompson's after. And what happens when the blur is lifted? A simple mannequin-esque smooth body, according to EA.

Jeff Brown, vice president of corporate communications at EA, in response to the accusations, told GameSpot, "This is nonsense. We've reviewed 100 percent of the content. There is no content inappropriate for a teen audience. Players never see a nude sim. If someone with an extreme amount of expertise and time were to remove the pixels, they would see that the sims have no genitals. They appear like Ken and Barbie."

Thompson doesn't buy it. "The sex and the nudity are in the game. That's the point. The blur is an admission that even the 'Ken and Barbie' features should not be displayed. The blur can be disarmed. This is no different than what is in San Andreas, although worse."

Jack is a deranged, wildly inconsistent man. He does seem to have moments of lucidity though, and this is probably one of them. The last time I felt a glimmer of respect for him was when he condemned the Left Behind game. While I don't agree with banning or censoring games -- even ones that are basically religious hate-speech -- it was nice to see that he didn't change his position as soon as the violence was part of a game that fit his worldview.

Ok, who divided by zero?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

makingmusic476 said:
I think I'm more shocked that Galaki is in regular contact with Jack Thompson. :o
It's the Kotaku guy who's in contact with Thompson, not Galaki. I assume "Brian" is followed by "Crecente" but I'm too lazy to click on the link.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
makingmusic476 said:
It's the Kotaku guy who's in contact with Thompson, not Galaki. I assume "Brian" is followed by "Crecente" but I'm too lazy to click on the link.

I'm an idiot. >_<

I thought that the article at the very top was the one that Jack linked to, and that the convo at bottom was separate, and posted by Galaki. 

I don't think it was so much that he was defending the game, but rather that he agreed that Fox News took it WAAAAY out of hand