By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - First impressions of League of Legends from a Dota 2 player

Im a Hon player and I wouldnt touch LOL.

DOTA 2 on the other hand ill play that soon once i've finished my study lol it'll consume my life otherwise.

Around the Network

I'm pretty much the opposite of you, ie. I'm a LoL player that has played some Dota2.

Personally, I found Dota2 to be far less noob friendly (if I hadn't had any experience as a result of LoL I doubt I would have managed anything at all). This was actually largely because of the fact that I had so many characters available to me right from the offset, making it very overwhelming as to who to pick (thankfully I was playing with a friend who told me some noob friendly characters) whereas the unlocking method in LoL means that only starting with the free-to-play characters works helps create less confusion.

Having to unlock more characters also feels more rewarding that Dota2 does. When you finally unlock that character you wanted and you suddenly have a whole new playstyle open to you makes you feel like all those games you've played are actually achieving something, rather than simply adding to some games played counter (forgive me if I'm wrong in this regard, I haven't played a huge amount of Dota2).

As already mentioned as well, the way you get money in LoL allows for more creativity in items because if something doesn't work, you can swap it out (and yet at the same time you are punished for bad choices, as you should be) and the wider variety in stats to upgrade means you can have a wider variety of roles that one character can play (look at champions such as Alistar that can be aggressive gankers as well as tanky supports or Sion who is either a AP carry/bruiser or a tanky lifesteal AD champ).

Also, as to the problems I found with Dota2, the main one was how unforgiving it is. As a noob who was still learning the character I was playing I found that even one small mistake like going for a last hit could cost my life (especially against lanes with supports like Sandking whose burst stun seems ridiculous imo) which really didn't encourage me to go and play again whereas in LoL, making a mistake punishes you but it doesn't instantly result in you having time where you can't do anything because you were killed.

Don't get me wrong though, I like both games, I just found LoL to be far more accessible (especially since my laptop isn't very good and I can actually run it on decent settings) and as such better for someone that is only semi-serious when playing.

osed125 said:

1) Can't deny kills: very important aspect of Dota because you prevent someone from getting money, which leads to a big strategy of screwing the enemy player early in the game.

2) You can get money waaay to fast: this makes gathering items way more easy and fast, in my few matches of Lol I already had very good items relatively early in the game , in Dota getting the items you want will require more time and imo more skills (see the next point).

3) Last hitting is very easy: this is maybe because there are more creeps (that's the name of the little guys in Dota, don't know their names in Lol), but getting kills on the little guys is very simplified in Lol, very rarely I missed a last hit which didn't prevent me from getting money, by the second match I just simple auto attacked and got the gold anyway.

4) Escaping: in the matches I noticed that escaping from battles is really easy, unless you had a 4 vs 1 battle, escaping was extremely easy, you could have less than half your HP and still manage to escape successfully. Mind you, can also escape in Dota, but I noticed that unless you are an asshole who lets your whole team die, escaping is difficult and the other team can very easily kill you while you escape (unless you have a teleport scroll which won't warranty an escape).

Granted, there are some heroes in Dota (like Riki for example) that let you escape very easily, but I'm talking about normal heroes that can't disappear.

5) NO COURIER OR STASH!!!!: don't pay too much attention to this point because is a personal opinion, but in Dota you have an animal that can bring you items during a fight, very important because you may want an item but don't want to get all the way back to base (in Lol this is not the biggest issue because the maps are very small). The stash basically let's put items your items on a different place on your inventory until you go back to base or the courier bring it to you, this is particular is extremely useful.

I hear you - I had some similar complaints when I originally switched from DOTA(Not DOTA 2) to LoL. But it is, by design a very different game - here's what to note:

1) Denying kills I missed a LOT in the beginning, but it's a broken mechanic. It was only included in the original dota because the WC3 engine allowed killing your own units, and people got used to it. If you actually think about it, killing your allies/teammates to prevent your opponent from doing so doesn't belong in any game, ever. Also, it severely punishes new players who essentially need to try to last hit every creep, not just their own, and aren't accustomed to such an illogical mechanic.

2) Matches of LoL went through a period of always being around an hour - and it wasn't good for the game. Things were retuned to ensure games take less time - and that includes getting money a bit faster. The feeling that it's 'too fast' is because earning money in DOTA is just slow - this turns out to be good for the game overall, as faster earning flattens out "snowballing" a bit.

3) You apparently used heroes with decent damage. Heroes with lower attack damage it's a little harder - though still not had. But League of Legends is a PvP game, it's your opponent's harassment that's supposed to limit your ability to last hit, not the creeps themselves. Being new to the game, your competition likely isn't up to the challenge.

4) Bear in mind, there are 2 sides to every coin. It's easy to escape? Doesn't that also mean it's harder to kill someone? There are summonder spells that can be used offensively or defensively - it requires a little more skill to kill a wiley opponent. Play more games, and when you encounter people better than you/teams with decent CC, you'll feel like you can never get away.

5) Even in original DOTA days, i felt this was a design problem. DOTA penalizing you for dying was something that you had to account for early on - an interesting aspect of play. But then you just needed to remember to snag stuff back at base when you could afford it and the penalty was essentially negated. It was kind of nessecary, due to death being so costly, it caused 1 or 2 early kills in a  lane to snowball a team to victory...  Also, the base seems so far away, but it has more to do with the relative speed of the champions than the actual map size. LoL is a little more tuned to force trips to the base without dying - in fact a big part of the laning phase is forcing your opponent to go heal if you can't finish them off.

Well, it's probably because since you're a Dota player you're not bad at these types of games. Once you get to level 30 in LoL you might not find it as easy as you do now.

Kasz216 said:
wfz said:
As a Dota 2 player, when I went to LoL I found it to be a lot less...stressful, I guess. I always constantly have to pay attention and do my best in every action I take in dota 2, but in LoL i feel like I can just relax and everything is so much simpler. That being said, I really dislike the way player battle interactions work and I also hate the summoner spell. Everyone flashing, smiting, exhausting, etc., it's really annoying.

Honestly though, it's like comparing Halo to Call of Duty. The games look similar and revolve around very similar mechanics and rules, but the characters, physics, stage orientation, etc, are totally different.

Well less stressful as long as you don't pay attention to chat.  LoL has the WORSt player community.

Me, there are some things i like about both, some i dislike.  LoL seems to simplfied, but Dota2 seems almost too complicated.

As for the opwhen it comes to last hitting, i  think it has to do to animation frames.  Going from LoL to Dota 2, it felt like the Dota 2 characters would react to my attack commans MUCH slower.

That's actually by design. Some heroes in Dota 2 have very poor animations for auto attacking (such as Lina). This is an intended feature to make it more difficult for them to obtain last hits. Other heroes such as Sniper/Wisp/Gyrocopter have nearly instant auto attacks. It's just part of the complexity in the game.

Also, yeah the LoL community is terrible, but the HoN community is 10x worse. My coworkers and I always joke about it. I just don't pay attention to the chat or I humorously troll along. My favorite thing to do, actually, is to troll my own character in all chat. It confuses the hell out of people.

Around the Network
Yoshiya said:
I'm pretty much the opposite of you, ie. I'm a LoL player that has played some Dota2.

Personally, I found Dota2 to be far less noob friendly (if I hadn't had any experience as a result of LoL I doubt I would have managed anything at all). This was actually largely because of the fact that I had so many characters available to me right from the offset, making it very overwhelming as to who to pick (thankfully I was playing with a friend who told me some noob friendly characters) whereas the unlocking method in LoL means that only starting with the free-to-play characters works helps create less confusion.

Having to unlock more characters also feels more rewarding that Dota2 does. When you finally unlock that character you wanted and you suddenly have a whole new playstyle open to you makes you feel like all those games you've played are actually achieving something, rather than simply adding to some games played counter (forgive me if I'm wrong in this regard, I haven't played a huge amount of Dota2).

As already mentioned as well, the way you get money in LoL allows for more creativity in items because if something doesn't work, you can swap it out (and yet at the same time you are punished for bad choices, as you should be) and the wider variety in stats to upgrade means you can have a wider variety of roles that one character can play (look at champions such as Alistar that can be aggressive gankers as well as tanky supports or Sion who is either a AP carry/bruiser or a tanky lifesteal AD champ).

Also, as to the problems I found with Dota2, the main one was how unforgiving it is. As a noob who was still learning the character I was playing I found that even one small mistake like going for a last hit could cost my life (especially against lanes with supports like Sandking whose burst stun seems ridiculous imo) which really didn't encourage me to go and play again whereas in LoL, making a mistake punishes you but it doesn't instantly result in you having time where you can't do anything because you were killed.

Don't get me wrong though, I like both games, I just found LoL to be far more accessible (especially since my laptop isn't very good and I can actually run it on decent settings) and as such better for someone that is only semi-serious when playing.

I understand all of your points. And like I said Lol is more accessible (which is not a bad thing). I do agree with what some users have said that Lol is less stressful and thus more fun, but I personally like strategies and thinking in games so that's probably the main reason I prefer Dota.

Nintendo and PC gamer

wfz said:
Kasz216 said:
wfz said:
As a Dota 2 player, when I went to LoL I found it to be a lot less...stressful, I guess. I always constantly have to pay attention and do my best in every action I take in dota 2, but in LoL i feel like I can just relax and everything is so much simpler. That being said, I really dislike the way player battle interactions work and I also hate the summoner spell. Everyone flashing, smiting, exhausting, etc., it's really annoying.

Honestly though, it's like comparing Halo to Call of Duty. The games look similar and revolve around very similar mechanics and rules, but the characters, physics, stage orientation, etc, are totally different.

Well less stressful as long as you don't pay attention to chat.  LoL has the WORSt player community.

Me, there are some things i like about both, some i dislike.  LoL seems to simplfied, but Dota2 seems almost too complicated.

As for the opwhen it comes to last hitting, i  think it has to do to animation frames.  Going from LoL to Dota 2, it felt like the Dota 2 characters would react to my attack commans MUCH slower.

That's actually by design. Some heroes in Dota 2 have very poor animations for auto attacking (such as Lina). This is an intended feature to make it more difficult for them to obtain last hits. Other heroes such as Sniper/Wisp/Gyrocopter have nearly instant auto attacks. It's just part of the complexity in the game.

Also, yeah the LoL community is terrible, but the HoN community is 10x worse. My coworkers and I always joke about it. I just don't pay attention to the chat or I humorously troll along. My favorite thing to do, actually, is to troll my own character in all chat. It confuses the hell out of people.

Worse then LoL?  I might play HoN just to see that.

I mean in LoL you have people who make money playing the fucking game not being able to stop from being such huge raving douchebags they get their accounts banned.

Jereel Hunter said:
4) Bear in mind, there are 2 sides to every coin. It's easy to escape? Doesn't that also mean it's harder to kill someone? There are summonder spells that can be used offensively or defensively - it requires a little more skill to kill a wiley opponent. Play more games, and when you encounter people better than you/teams with decent CC, you'll feel like you can never get away.

Like I said I only played a few matches of Lol so there are things I might still not understand, and the escaping thing is something I noticed. Since in Dota escaping is harder it requires more teamwork and knowing which heroes are better against others to counter-attack their ulti. When I reach a high rank I won't probably say the same thing, but "noob" players in Lol have more options to escape, which makes rage quitting less common (something that's kind of an issue in Dota).

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:

Yoshiya said:

*mass of points*

I understand all of your points. And like I said Lol is more accessible (which is not a bad thing). I do agree with what some users have said that Lol is less stressful and thus more fun, but I personally like strategies and thinking in games so that's probably the main reason I prefer Dota.

Yea that's fair enough. I haven't really played either in a while but if I was in a mood for some more serious game I would probably choose Dota and if I was in the mood for some more casual gaming I would go with LoL. They play differently enough that I think they need to be looked at as being more different than they are (just like you would say W-RPGs are different to J-RPGs despite them both being a kind of RPG).

Kasz216 said:

Worse then LoL?  I might play HoN just to see that.

I mean in LoL you have people who make money playing the fucking game not being able to stop from being such huge raving douchebags they get their accounts banned.

Well that's the point isn't it? Riot DOES ban their accounts, even salaried pros, for that behaviour. They just banned ten players from various teams for accepting money to level other people's accounts. Unlike say Blizzard customer support, Riot does time ban and mute players if they recieve enough reports, and you know when you report that every one will count. And they've made it clear they will be changing these systems in future if they can be made better.

So they are doing everything they can to combat this. And people do feel attached to accounts they've bought/acquired lots of RP/IP on, even though it's F2P. Dota 2 and HoN have all champs unlocked (I think?) so less attachment to a single account.

They may well have a worse community but there's good reasons for it not to be.