By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - EDGE 'always on, always connected' Durango SDK leak is real

prayformojo said:
Player1x3 said:
This can't be true, there's no way Microsoft is this stupid

Windows 2000,Vista and Zune say hello.

There was nothing bad about win2k.

Around the Network

Always on, always connected isnt as big a problem as its made out to be. I cant be assed looking up facts and figures while im eating my breakfast but internet, regardless of speed is widespread enough to start looking at Always on, Always connected. Also, whos to say Microsoft dont build in a sim card slot? It wouldnt support online play but would let the console stay connected.

Just to be clear, I think always on, always connected is a shit idea regardless of how well its implemented. I agree that 2nd hand games profits should be divided amoungst retailers, developers and publishers but their ae better ways to do it instead of just trying to shut the door completly.

AbbathTheGrim said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like in the end Micro realized that Blu-ray isn't as unnecessary as they said years back, if the rumors are true.

Bluray was unncessary for the 7th gen. Especially for the price. Not a single PS3 game demonstrated we needed Bluray.

The Bluray hardware is cheap now and next gen games will require more space. Seems like a no brainer now.

Metal Gear Solid 4:

It was announced that Guns of the Patriots is the first PlayStation 3 game that uses a 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc[18] even with the use of file compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4#Development

Yes, nice try to show that games needed Blu-ray and to show that x360 with DVD is inferior :) 

Kyuu said:
D-Joe said:
Kyuu said:
Slimebeast said:
Flame said:
This can't be real. MS isn't that stupid.

I don't get it. What exactly is stupid??

1) People with no internet connection wont be able to play.

2) No respect to user's privacy.

3) You're going to need a huge harddrive to be able to install games unless you keep deleting/installing back and forth, which kills the so called "instant-play"

4) Hints the inability of playing used games.

Even you don't wanna read the XDK,could you at least read the thread before reply?other than point 3(again it said you can play the game after the install started,no need to wait it finished),where are the XDK mentioned 1,2 and 4?

“The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current"

I think I misunderstood this statement though.

As for my 4th point.. I only said "hints" If the game can be installed, it means I can give the disk to hundreds of friends to install it on their systems as well. And Microsoft's silence about all these rumors hints more.

Even crazy media like IGN still know it's talking about low power mode and backgroud updates,not require online

And MS always silence about every rumors,especially a console techically non-exist for them

Squint_Eastwood said:
Always on, always connected isnt as big a problem as its made out to be. I cant be assed looking up facts and figures while im eating my breakfast but internet, regardless of speed is widespread enough to start looking at Always on, Always connected. Also, whos to say Microsoft dont build in a sim card slot? It wouldnt support online play but would let the console stay connected.

Just to be clear, I think always on, always connected is a shit idea regardless of how well its implemented. I agree that 2nd hand games profits should be divided amoungst retailers, developers and publishers but their ae better ways to do it instead of just trying to shut the door completly.

I think you are getting the wrong idea. In the leaked image there is no indication that the console HAS to be connected to work, it just says that it's possible for the console to update the OS/games while in a low power/standby mode.

Neither is there any indication of blocking the 2nd hand market.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
Squint_Eastwood said:
Always on, always connected isnt as big a problem as its made out to be. I cant be assed looking up facts and figures while im eating my breakfast but internet, regardless of speed is widespread enough to start looking at Always on, Always connecteddont build in a sim card slot? It wouldnt support online play but would let the console stay connected.

I think you are getting the wrong idea. In the leaked image there is no indication that the console HAS to be connected to work, it just says that it's possible for the console to update the OS/games while in a low power/standby mode.

Neither is there any indication of blocking the 2nd hand market, i was just adding my own thoughts. I think Microsoft and Sony will introduce a There

There are so many stories doing the rounds regarding Nextbox that its hard to seperate rumours. Everybody seems to have a different interpretation of what this document means. I havnt read itproperly to be honest so thank you for correcting me. I read a different thread based on this document and they interpretted it as no connection, no game. Its all conjecture at this point.

My point on the 2nd hand market was just thinking aloud. 

Xbox 720 will have a sleeping mode and start instantly = OMG it is always online and won't work offline!

Xbox 720 will have a big support for entertainment apps  = OMG it won't care about games!

Xbox 720 will come with Kinect 2 = OMG it won't care about core games!

Xbox 720 will install games automatically on the HDD from your disc, while you play the game, without any delay = OMG it won't play used games!

IMO those are four great features, how some people spin this is quite entertaining.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

Xbox 720 will have a sleeping mode and start instantly = OMG it is always online and won't work offline!

Xbox 720 will have a big support for entertainment apps  = OMG it won't care about games!

Xbox 720 will come with Kinect 2 = OMG it won't care about core games!

Xbox 720 will install games automatically on the HDD from your disc, while you play the game, without any delay = OMG it won't play used games!

IMO those are four great features, how some people spin this is quite entertaining.

I'd say it's the obvious people spinning as always,  nothing new. I would like to some of them apologizing when MS reveals the strategy behind it all but I don't think that'll happen.

theprof00 said:
Well, I for one welcome all the xbros into the playstation fold.
Just.cannot.be.real

doomed... We have a winner. Waiting for 9th gen.

Ex Graphics Whore.