By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Sony really have an interest in "outcheaping" Microsoft as far as online goes?

Pretty much, this is the question: Is Sony really interested in being a less expensive option for online experience than Microsoft as a strategy, keeping online free, and saying it offers more bang for the buck, or does it want to position itself as a clearly superior online experience, and get paid a premium for it, generating more profits than Microsoft?

I am curious what people think, because there is this presumption that Sony wants to outcheap Microsoft, and am curious whether anyone can explain why they think this is in the mind of Sony.  I see what Sony is trying to do on the PS4 and it looks like an outclassing effort to me.

Around the Network

There are many people who aren't willing to pay for LIVE. No online fee can be used as a selling point.

What I'm surprised is that they don't advertise the free online.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Microsoft managed to make people pay for something that is free on PCs and suddenly you consider Sony's option the cheap one ?
I guess Microsoft did its marketing really well..

Otherwise I have no issue paying for additional services, but charging people for a service that hardly costs you is pushing it...Online should be free. I'm ok paying for a service that comes with discounted games and other things..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

To an extent, but the creation of PS+ shows they want that market too.

By not forcing the service, but pushing an optional one, they won't be making as much money but you could definitely argue the value of positive public opinion makes up for it.

Not by a long shot. Sony offers the basic features for free because, they understand that many consumers only hop online in games a couple a times a year. Charging people to play online after they have already paid for the system, the software, and the network is a major scam.

Beyond that Sony wants to create an industry leading online ecosystem. They what to deliver the deepest online gaming experience, the most digital content, and a second to nun user experience. This is the stuff that will come at a premium, and per traditional Sony they want to offer the most bang for your buck.

Sony has never been in the business of out cheaping the competition. If anything they try to deliver to much, at to low of a cost, and fail to market it in a way people understand the value. This thread title being case and point.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I think for their best interest, Sony should try to offer a better online service than Microsoft. Even if they charge less for it, you have to make strong compelling reason for people to switch.

That being said, I haven’t seen anything to make me think they are doing that. It looks more like catching up to me. Microsoft it a tough cookie, and has been online for a long time. They offer a strong and varied service.

If the new Skype/Kinect 2.0 really does what people are hoping. It will open new world for them.

The on exception is the Share Button. Sony seems like they have done smart thing by including that button and features.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

They are trying to outclass Msoft and outprice them. Hence free PSN and PS+.

Aj_habfan said:

By not forcing the service, but pushing an optional one, they won't be making as much money but you could definitely argue the value of positive public opinion makes up for it.

I think they'll include all their cloud stuff in plus next gen along with their usual offers

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Aj_habfan said:

The difference in PS+ though is, you're getting full games to play. A person can subscribe to that, never buy a game, and be more than happy with their console. Microsoft is saying, pay $60.00 a year for the abiity to play the other half of the games you bought.

If ps4 games have dedicated servers i would pay 50 a year.
I used xbox live for a few months to try it and its the same as playing psn.

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3