By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Plastic Surgery opinions?

NintendoPie said:
ToraTiger said:
Yeah. It's their life, but I still think it's sick for people to spend thousands of dollars just to look more accepted and more western at that.

On a different note, this is probably because most South Koreans are pretty infatuated with the west and their cultures. Can't say it's a wrong thing, but I still think it's strange.

If you asked any Korean why they wanted surgery I'm sure you won't find one who says, "I wanted to look more Western." Every story of PS I've read (that has come out of SK) was that they wanted to look more like their idols. They wanted those Double Eyelids because their idols had them, or they wanted that V-Line Jaw because their favorite K-Drama Idol had one, or that they just wanted to "fit in."

I've never seen one person say they wanted to be more Western. I doubt any of them see it that way.

Yeah it's a giant mass of conformism and media. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

Seems like people don't understand the ramifications of undergoing plastic surgery:

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like people don't understand the ramifications of undergoing plastic surgery:

Funny thing is even with all the attractive traits there is no guarentee the kid would turn out any better. Mendel's law...

Max King of the Wild said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Funny thing is even with all the attractive traits there is no guarentee the kid would turn out any better. Mendel's law...

But the funny thing is even when you consider Mendel's law, people need to bitch and ask for money. Nature's law...

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

avais1993 said:
I once read an article about a japanese/korean man taking his wife to court because she had previously had plastic surgery and he found out because his baby was ugly :L, it was pretty hilarious

Actually that story took place in China and he won the case.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
ToraTiger said:
Yeah. It's their life, but I still think it's sick for people to spend thousands of dollars just to look more accepted and more western at that.

On a different note, this is probably because most South Koreans are pretty infatuated with the west and their cultures. Can't say it's a wrong thing, but I still think it's strange.

If you asked any Korean why they wanted surgery I'm sure you won't find one who says, "I wanted to look more Western." Every story of PS I've read (that has come out of SK) was that they wanted to look more like their idols. They wanted those Double Eyelids because their idols had them, or they wanted that V-Line Jaw because their favorite K-Drama Idol had one, or that they just wanted to "fit in."

I've never seen one person say they wanted to be more Western. I doubt any of them see it that way.

True, true.  But the Korean standard of beauty seems awfully western.  The double eyelids, and the western noses.  I mean, they even get perms to make their hair more curly and dye it blonde or brown.   I don't know why they get it so often, but I think my assumption of western influences is a pretty safe one.

Not to be racist or anything, this is a country full of beady-eyed, black haired asians.  And seriously, I honestly can't tell the differences between some Korean Idols and white people.   Also, here's the site that I made the basis of my decuction from.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/23/asian-patients-seek-plastic-surgery-western-look_n_865627.html

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

2000cc said:

First off,  OMG! Lovin the games you are playing at the moment, you have good taste, last story and the xeno's are great!

I think sick is a pretty strong word to use, and speaking from a western standpoint, I grew up in a major Australian beach city, me and my friends spent a large part of our life at the beach, and a large part of the late teen/ early adult years in bikinis/swimsuits there. Cosmetic plastic surgery is sooooooo common in my home (I no longer live there, but my family/friends still do) it is the cultural norm to anyone who is anyone (it is one of the wealthier aresa of the state though too). I myself have it also, and I think my life is better for it, and would recommend it to anyone considering it. Its just a social norm for girls in my home and is accepted as the 'standard' without a second thought. You'd actually get judged much harder for not having it, than having it.

2 of my good friends are professional models, others are hairdressers, stylists, surgeons receptionists, P.R people, you simply wouldnt get any of those jobs without it. The pressure is intense and it is a competitive living environment, but I wouldn't say it was sick in any way to want to be popular and have the friends/career of your choice (especially where in most cases, the above people don't actually need to work to live).

Not trying to rant, just trying to put the alternative viewpoint out there

Oh, yes, Xenogears is a blast.  XD

I wasn't calling the people them selves 'sick, I was saying that I think the Korean social society is.  I was lamenting how bad I think surgery is becoming.  I really have nothing against someone getting surgery for whichever reasons,  and if you use it to your advantage like your friends, more power to you!  I'm just baffled by a society like South Korea where such things are so encouraged that if you don't follow these conventions, you're frowned upon. Where things like double eyelids, and western noses are considered the norm, and mothers forcing their daughters to get it so that they can be 'beautiful', and the fakeness of their celebrities.  I mean, someone should be able to feel comfortable in society without having to pay thousands to adhere to superficial standards of beauty and such.

Also, you did not come off as ranting.  XD

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

i wish people with those disgusting giant moles on their faces would have them removed.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

ToraTiger said:

2000cc said:

First off,  OMG! Lovin the games you are playing at the moment, you have good taste, last story and the xeno's are great!

I think sick is a pretty strong word to use, and speaking from a western standpoint, I grew up in a major Australian beach city, me and my friends spent a large part of our life at the beach, and a large part of the late teen/ early adult years in bikinis/swimsuits there. Cosmetic plastic surgery is sooooooo common in my home (I no longer live there, but my family/friends still do) it is the cultural norm to anyone who is anyone (it is one of the wealthier aresa of the state though too). I myself have it also, and I think my life is better for it, and would recommend it to anyone considering it. Its just a social norm for girls in my home and is accepted as the 'standard' without a second thought. You'd actually get judged much harder for not having it, than having it.

2 of my good friends are professional models, others are hairdressers, stylists, surgeons receptionists, P.R people, you simply wouldnt get any of those jobs without it. The pressure is intense and it is a competitive living environment, but I wouldn't say it was sick in any way to want to be popular and have the friends/career of your choice (especially where in most cases, the above people don't actually need to work to live).

Not trying to rant, just trying to put the alternative viewpoint out there

Oh, yes, Xenogears is a blast.  XD

I wasn't calling the people them selves 'sick, I was saying that I think the Korean social society is.  I was lamenting how bad I think surgery is becoming.  I really have nothing against someone getting surgery for whichever reasons,  and if you use it to your advantage like your friends, more power to you!  I'm just baffled by a society like South Korea where such things are so encouraged that if you don't follow these conventions, you're frowned upon. Where things like double eyelids, and western noses are considered the norm, and mothers forcing their daughters to get it so that they can be 'beautiful', and the fakeness of their celebrities.  I mean, someone should be able to feel comfortable in society without having to pay thousands to adhere to superficial standards of beauty and such.

Also, you did not come off as ranting.  XD

Thank you

Plus if it makes you look better its not 'fake' beauty, You still are more attractive in a very real sense afterward, But I understand where you are coming from, and no offense taken. Enjoy the games !!!!!!!

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

As a South Korean, I am saddened by how many girls in Korea feel the need to get plastic surgery. It's pretty much become a common practice there. Peer pressure is powerful indeed...

I'd write more but I need to study lol