By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nvidia bitterness continues, compares PS4 specs to a 'low-end CPU'

The PlayStation 4 announcement last month immediately led to a PS4 vs Xbox 720 debate, but perhaps Sony and Microsoft's next-generation consoles are competing for second place.

"Compared to gaming PCs, the PS4 specs are in the neighborhood of a low-end CPU, and a low- to mid-range GPU side," said Nvidia's Tony Tamasi to TechRadar.

As Nvidia's senior vice president of content and development, he sees the PS4's specs as outdated, even today.

"If the PS4 ships in December as Sony indicated, it will only offer about half the performance of a GTX680 GPU (based on GFLOPS and texture), which launched in March 2012, more than a year and a half ago."

It only gets worse

Tamasi also notes that consoles, by definition, are closed platforms and not upgradeable.

"What you get today in terms of performance is what you're stuck with five - 10 years down the road. PCs don't have these problems," he told TechRadar.

"They are open and can be upgraded at any time to harness the power of newer GPUs for more performance and to take advantage of newer, modern graphics technologies."

The gap between console and PC gaming has become more apparent this console generation, and Tamasi expects more of the same when PS4 andXbox 720 get here.

"If history predicts the future, then these next-generation consoles, while being more powerful than the current ones, will very quickly end up more than an order of magnitude behind the PC."

PS4 not worth the cost to Nvidia

The comments from the Nvidia senior vice president are noteworthy because they aren't just from an industry rival trying promote PC gaming vs PS4.

The remarks come from the same company that powers the PS3's graphics chip.

Nvidia isn't buying into the PS4, however. Sony announced specs that include an eight-core AMD processor and a custom Radeon GPU.

"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tamasi told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay."

Instead, Tamasi said that Nvidia, with only so many engineers and so much capability, will be able to focus on another portion of its business that it wouldn't be able to if it did chips for Sony.

Nvidia's projects include delivering high-end graphics cards like theGeForce GTX Titan and supplying Apple computers with GPUs.

It's also looking to capture mobile processing with its Tegra 4i system on a chip for smartphones and tablets, and by releasing its own handheld gaming platform, Nvidia Project Shield.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/nvidia-compares-ps4-specs-to-a-low-end-cpu-1138051

Around the Network

Nvidea's acting like a little bitch with these comments.

Nvidia is right.

The APU has by default a mobile based CPU and GPU and therefore they are low/mid products.

This why I been laughing at all the craziness people have gone on about the 8GB of GDDR5 ram.

MSony are not pushing the limits at the start of this gen like previous. This is also why they are significantly closer to WiiU than their predecessors were to Wii. Wii to WiiU is a larger jump than PS360 to PS4/NXbox.

Now after saying that... its obvious Nvidia is in damage control.

Apparently NVidia is _extremely_ pissed about the situation. Why bring up the obvious no-brainer "A $1000 PC will be faster than the $450 next consoles" all the time?

Well, whilst he's not technically wrong, this has the strong stench of damage control.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Well, whilst he's not technically wrong, this has the strong stench of damage control.

I'd like to sign this "technically correct but alterior motive at play" petition as well.

He's not lying though.

The PS4 CPU is weak compared to the modern PC CPUs and nothing special in the GPU department either, there are many graphics cards that would rip the PS4 one apart, not to mention in a PC you can have 2 GPUs in a rig if you really feel like it.

The only thing really special about the PS4 is that it has 8GB of the faster GDDR5 RAM, but now that the gauntlet has been thrown down, you're probably start seeing PC GPUs with 4-8GB of GDDR5 soon enough.

Somini said:

Tamasi also notes that consoles, by definition, are closed platforms and not upgradeable.

"What you get today in terms of performance is what you're stuck with five - 10 years down the road. PCs don't have these problems," he told TechRadar.

I actually like that about consoles. It guarantees that me and my friends have equally powerful consoles.

OT: Ouch, he sounds like a PC fanboy. Although he's not lying I don't see why he would say that.

Not surprised they are but hurt over not getting any of their chips into the next Xbox, PS4 or Wii U.

disolitude said:
Scoobes said:

I'd like to sign this "technically correct but alterior motive at play" petition as well.

lol yeah, it must hurt that none of the big 3 have gone with Nvidia this time around.