By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Milked Games. Which ones should stay, Which ones should take a break?

Kresnik said:
By the way Jay, you've put 19 Metal Gear Solid titles since 2000. I cannot for the life of me work out how you got that figure. So I'm presuming you just mean everything under the "Metal Gear" umbrella? (i.e. Did you count Metal Gear Ac!d as a MGS game? Did you count Metal Gear Rising as a MGS game?)

In which case, I think you might just need to cut the word "solid" out of your OP. Solid =/= Ac!d =/= Rising, but they do all fall under "Metal Gear".

Sorry if i never replied earlier.  Yeah I included all Metal Gear games.  Maybe I should take out Solid and just put Metal gear, but yeah once again like games like Halo wars, Fable Coin Golf, Uncharted Card Game etc it is merely a way for a company to milk a series with a recognizable series name.  

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

Yeah but dont you consider Paper Mario and Mario kart mainline as well?  I mean i would.  Maybe not Mario Party, Mario golf, etc but definitely Mario kart at least

Mario Kart would be in line with Mario Party, Mario Golf, etc. (Or, possibly, by itself.)

Paper Mario should count as a "Mainline" Mario game.

JayWood2010 said:
Fireforgey said:
JayWood2010 said:
Fireforgey said:
JayWood2010 said:

Mario - 85 since 2000.  Mainline series Unkown

Mario - 85 since 2000.  8 Mainline Series

I think this would be the best way of calculating main Mario games.  all of the 3D Mario titles plus the non Mario Land 2D titles.

Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, NSMB, NSMBWii, NSMB 2, NSMBU, Super Mario 3D Land. 

That would probably be the most accepted way of stating Mario mainline games, at least in my humble opinion.

Yeah but dont you consider Paper Mario and Mario kart mainline as well?  I mean i would.  Maybe not Mario Party, Mario golf, etc but definitely Mario kart at least

Its a major spinnoff that has created a life and genre of its own.  It might be worth making an extra bullet point dedicated to just Mario Kart, but I digress.  In my opinion Mainline Mario games are the platformers and none of those you mentioned are platformers.

Ill add subgenres.  Do you know how many Mario karts there has been since 2000?

I believe 5 but I'll check.  Sub genres or a Spinoff point would be a good idea.

JayWood2010 said:

Sorry if i never replied earlier.  Yeah I included all Metal Gear games.  Maybe I should take out Solid and just put Metal gear, but yeah once again like games like Halo wars, Fable Coin Golf, Uncharted Card Game etc it is merely a way for a company to milk a series with a recognizable series name.  

It's okay.  I don't think I said anything worth replying to :P

Alls I was getting at with that post was that... hmm.  The best way I can describe it is - Mario Kart is not a New Super Mario Bros. game.  NSMB is not a MK game.  But you could put them both collectively under the "Mario" umbrella (at a push, I don't know as much about the Mario series as some of the other guys in this thread so I'll let them debate that out with you).

Metal Gear Solid; Metal Gear Ac!d & Metal Gear Rising are sub-genres within the Metal Gear umbrella.  But a MGS game is not a MGR game; and vice versa.  If you see what I mean.  Just a matter of semantics, really.

edit: But I see you've changed it now anyway, so that's all I have to say about the matter.  Thanks!

NintendoPie said:
JayWood2010 said:

Mario Kart would be in line with Mario Party, Mario Golf, etc. (Or, possibly, by itself.)

Paper Mario should count as a "Mainline" Mario game.

Paper Mario is an RPG, I wouldn't really call that a mainline game. =P

Around the Network

I think for the Mario main series you have to go to his roots which are platformers 2D or 3D,everything else is a spin off weather it be the Kart series,the rpg games or any inbetween.

Mario Kart - Spinoff series that can and will most times outsell the main
Mario Sports Games- Spinoff
RPG Mario - Different genre but still a spinoff (includes Paper and Mario&Luigi)

So since 2000 we could go with these as his main games

Super Mario Advance Series (4 games),
Sunshine,
Mario 64 DS,
NSMB (DS,Wii,3DS,Wii U,)
Galaxy 1 and 2,
Allstars remake,
3D Land

We all know Mario is the most milked series on the list because there is 1+ of his games across all series every year but its really ok with him because the series brings so much to the table that each game feels new everytime unlike most of the games on this list hes refreshing with each new game IMO

Also im very surprised Pokemon didnt have a spot on the list with as many games it came out with just this gen alone lol

sub-zero-TM said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I personally don't consider Halo milked at all, or Gears of War. But the rest on that list probably are

Dude if you don't consider Gears of War milked then why Uncharted?

I don't consider Gears of War milked or Uncharted what are you talking about?

NobleTeam360 said:
sub-zero-TM said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I personally don't consider Halo milked at all, or Gears of War. But the rest on that list probably are

You said you don't consider Gears and Halo milked but every other game on the list yes that includes Uncharted.

sub-zero-TM said:
NobleTeam360 said:
sub-zero-TM said:
NobleTeam360 said:

You said you don't consider Gears and Halo milked but every other game on the list yes that includes Uncharted.

Well like I just said I don't consider Gear, Halo, or Uncharted (added) milked 

the most thing that bugs me is the yearly releases. its honestly getting boring, the holiday season is actually starting to get boring for me since the games that release yearly always release in the holiday season