By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Milked Games. Which ones should stay, Which ones should take a break?

AssAssAssCreed needs to go and that's about it.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Hey Jay, I'm a little confused by these numbers. Are you counting mobile games, remakes, ports, and collections? Also, 85 Mario games since 2000? That can't be right, even with the GBA ports.

Yes this is including collections, ports, and spinoffs.  All of those things are milking more money out of the series by using a recognizable name.  And i can send you the list of mario games.  i actually cut it down and ignored games that just had a small appearcance with him like Donkey kong or Diddy Kong Racing for DS

I understand. So you must be combining the Super Mario series with other series that feature the character Mario? Mario Kart, Paper Mario, etc.?

I personally separate the Super Mario platform series from the racing, RPG, sports, and party series, but I know not everyone does that.

To answer the OP, I'd like all those series to stay. The only think that bothers me are HD collections -- those to me are cash grabs.

I am pretty sure Ratchet and Clank is dead, so this will make a break forever. Metal Gear has had its break for quite some time, its for a new entry. God of War, Gears of War, Killzone, and Halo should take a break for at 3 years, to really be able to bring something new to the table.

you may aswell just ask do you like the franchise or not. And nothing is milked until it doesnt get near expectation or make a profit, if it continues to do those 2 releasing 2 games a year there is obviously demand for it so its not milked. which is what most of those franchises are doing

JayWood2010 said:

Mario - 85 since 2000.  Mainline series Unkown

Mario - 85 since 2000.  8 Mainline Series

I think this would be the best way of calculating main Mario games.  all of the 3D Mario titles plus the non Mario Land 2D titles.

Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, NSMB, NSMBWii, NSMB 2, NSMBU, Super Mario 3D Land. 

That would probably be the most accepted way of stating Mario mainline games, at least in my humble opinion.

Around the Network
Fireforgey said:
JayWood2010 said:

I think this would be the best way of calculating main Mario games.  all of the 3D Mario titles plus the non Mario Land 2D titles.

Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, NSMB, NSMBWii, NSMB 2, NSMBU, Super Mario 3D Land. 

That would probably be the most accepted way of stating Mario mainline games, at least in my humble opinion.

Yeah but dont you consider Paper Mario and Mario kart mainline as well?  I mean i would.  Maybe not Mario Party, Mario golf, etc but definitely Mario kart at least

JayWood2010 said:
Fireforgey said:
JayWood2010 said:

Yeah but dont you consider Paper Mario and Mario kart mainline as well?  I mean i would.  Maybe not Mario Party, Mario golf, etc but definitely Mario kart at least

Its a major spinnoff that has created a life and genre of its own.  It might be worth making an extra bullet point dedicated to just Mario Kart, but I digress.  In my opinion Mainline Mario games are the platformers and none of those you mentioned are platformers.

Fireforgey said:
JayWood2010 said:
Fireforgey said:
JayWood2010 said:

Its a major spinnoff that has created a life and genre of its own.  It might be worth making an extra bullet point dedicated to just Mario Kart, but I digress.  In my opinion Mainline Mario games are the platformers and none of those you mentioned are platformers.

Ill add subgenres.  Do you know how many Mario karts there has been since 2000?

By the way Jay, you've put 19 Metal Gear Solid titles since 2000. I cannot for the life of me work out how you got that figure. So I'm presuming you just mean everything under the "Metal Gear" umbrella? (i.e. Did you count Metal Gear Ac!d as a MGS game? Did you count Metal Gear Rising as a MGS game?)

In which case, I think you might just need to cut the word "solid" out of your OP. Solid =/= Ac!d =/= Rising, but they do all fall under "Metal Gear".

pezus said:
Mario - 85 since 2000.

Jesus

The reason behind this is that anything titled with 'Mario' will be counted. If we actually think about what games he trully "starred" in, then it would be less.