By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Update on the Mexican Video Game Industry

True, I live near the border and I have bought almost all my games in the US. I have like 50 Wii games and 30 DS games. Prices in Mexico are ridiculous! I'm really sorry for people living in the center of the country, they have to pay like 80-90 dls for a new game! And it's also weird that here the Xbox 360 and PS3 games cost less than Wii games =/

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Around the Network

I think piracy has helped Microsoft a lot in Mexico and so it helped Sony in the past.

And by the way, 11.2 are a lot of consoles for a country like mine, roughly 11% of the total population has bought a console this gen.

Hope the market keeps growing here.

with the atrocious prices in Latinamerica (I bought my wiiU for $500, and each game cost $70+) I do not think any market is really going to grow much in the coming years (except mobile I guess)

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

It is like Brazil for games... the grow per year is a monster.

ethomaz said:
It is like Brazil for games... the grow per year is a monster.

And both markets are full of late adopters. Therefore Brazil and Mexico are a very important for longevity in consoles. When big markets are near saturarion, these two markets are having bigger and bigger sales each year.

Around the Network

I have to assume the Mexican industry is concentrated in the cities given this - (median income by state I think)

http://www.slideshare.net/HARMembers/ampis-mexico-2013-presentation

Slide 62 says 53.5% of Mexican families (mostly two earners) make $15,000 - $50,000 (USD). That makes sense to me, would be everyone from a $9,000 / $6,000 male / female couple, to a $30,000 / $20,000 male / female couple.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Mexico is actually MSs 3rd largest market (country wise).

NA really is 360 turf :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Why did I never see this thread? I can confirm Mexico is Xbox land, why? They have the best prices here, their customer services is in Mexico and pretty much all of the xbox games come in spanish and microsoft games come dubbed in mexican spanish also all the gold services are available in mexico,

Now Sony did pretty well with the PSP and are doing horribly with the vita, why? the PSP is so cheap, have really cheap games and is hackeable and the vita is the opposite of that, in respect with the PS3 is destined to be second class to the 360 because is more expensive, is not hackeable and sony doesnt have all of its services available here.

Lastly Nintendo, ah nintendo they still dont have a official presence here the company they use to distribute their games(Latamel) love to overcharge and their prices dont drop as quickly or deep compared to the other companies and they also never have any offer EVER, the wii started with a bang here it was never as crazy like with our neightbors but it did good then in the summer of 2008 ALL the prices increased and stayed there so the momentum got cold and it was even surpassed by the PS3 but the nintendo games still do good but only them are readily available so a nintendo console have the smallest variety on shelves, the DS and 3DS did good but the PSP did better and Pokemon is a monster is like the only original game a lot of DS owners have alongside new super mario bros and the 3DS started pretty low and with the price drop did better but have yet to reaches the PSP even the DS level of sales

I agree, piracy has a lot to do with the success the 360 is having in Mexico. I also believe Microsoft has a bigger advertising presence than Sony and Nintendo. In fact, the only gaming commercials I have seen down there are Xbox related. The industry is still growing and you are starting to see more gaming stores pop up, plus best buy is really expanding in Mexico the last few years.

sales2099 said:
Mexico is actually MSs 3rd largest market (country wise).

NA really is 360 turf :)

Really???

I knew Mexico was Xbox land but it's impressive that it's 3rd place. Then only the US and UK are bigger Xbox lands than Mexico, impressive