By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is a shift in focus to the poor by the Roman Catholic Church a bad thing?

Should the Roman Catholic Church avoid focusing on the poor?

Yes 9 14.52%

No 52 83.87%

Total:61

Protestants champion rich and successful people?

Around the Network

uh... can we like wait for like a day or two or a week, how about a year with the new pope to see if there is any shift at all?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

A focus on the poor is a good thing. Saying the poor have only themselves to blame is not fair. Many people are given a difficult lot in life and have neither the brains or will power or other talent to overcome it. We should care for them. Now, if he will also work to get rid of pedophiles, stop being against birth control (non-abortion), allow women to have equality and allow priests to marry...then the church will get somewhere.

Porcupine_I said:
uh... can we like wait for like a day or two or a week, how about a year with the new pope to see if there is any shift at all?

76 years old with one lung... are you sure he has a year left in him? We'd better just judge him now.

badgenome said:
Porcupine_I said:

76 years old with one lung... are you sure he has a year left in him? We'd better just judge him now.

i hate to admit that you have am point, badgenome! ...if that really IS your name!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

the church has always helped the poor. i have been saying this on these very forums. they not only help them they are good at it too. Unlike the United States government. i dont see this as any change though. its always been my view one of the best way to help the poor not just in the united states, but around the world, is to donate to the catholic church. they operate every where. they are their own bank. . many of their workers are volunteers.

TheLastStarFighter said:
A focus on the poor is a good thing. Saying the poor have only themselves to blame is not fair. Many people are given a difficult lot in life and have neither the brains or will power or other talent to overcome it. We should care for them. Now, if he will also work to get rid of pedophiles, stop being against birth control (non-abortion), allow women to have equality and allow priests to marry...then the church will get somewhere.

They don't really have to get rid of pedophiles, just stop shielding them, which they've already done.

Because of their blundering of the situation it makes it seem like pedophillia is a huge problem in the Catholic Church, but as far as research can tell... it's actually REALLY undepretented compaired to the general population.

It's a lot how people think everyone who comes back from a warzone is an insane depressed PTSD riddled shell's who are suicidal when the reality is, that people in the Military who have entered a warzone are as mentally sound on average as a normal person.

It's just that those who join the military are far less likely to suffer from depression, suicide etc, before they enter combat.

You should be a lot more afraid of leaving your child alone with your brother or sister then your "Father"

ganoncrotch said:
I guess the church perhaps realize that people who have wealth are less likely to turn to God as much as someone who has nothing, if you have someone with nothing it's far easier to give them 1 thing they can believe in.

It's actually a clever business move.

Yes, say one thing – even hand out a little help, yet still keep billions for yourself.

Plus, they research things like: If children do not go to college, they are less likely to leave the Church.  Having more kids means you can't send as many to college.  Thereby, tell your parishioners to have lots of kids, fewer kids leave the Church, thereby increasing your flock.  Church gets bigger.  

They used to support birth control, but reversed it during the plague (which was a good thing)  because so many people died they didn’t think civilization could survive.  I think for the good of people, civilization and the planet, it’s time for them to go back to their old ways.

For the benefit of all, and mostly the poor.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
ganoncrotch said:
I guess the church perhaps realize that people who have wealth are less likely to turn to God as much as someone who has nothing, if you have someone with nothing it's far easier to give them 1 thing they can believe in.

It's actually a clever business move.

Yes, say one thing – even hand out a little help, yet still keep billions for yourself.

Plus, they research things like: If children do not go to college, they are less likely to leave the Church.  Having more kids means you can't send as many to college.  Thereby, tell your parishioners to have lots of kids, fewer kids leave the Church, thereby increasing your flock.  Church gets bigger.  

They used to support birth control, but reversed it during the plague (which was a good thing)  because so many people died they didn’t think civilization could survive.  I think for the good of people, civilization and the planet, it’s time for them to go back to their old ways.

For the benefit of all, and mostly the poor.

How many centuries before the Black Death was birth control invented that the Catholic Church supported?

richardhutnik said:

How many centuries before the Black Death was birth control invented that the Catholic Church supported?

The idea goes back to antiquity, but almost nothing is known about medieval European methods prior to the plague because it was so methodically stamped out.