By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is a shift in focus to the poor by the Roman Catholic Church a bad thing?

Should the Roman Catholic Church avoid focusing on the poor?

Yes 9 14.52%

No 52 83.87%

Total:61

When the discussion of the poor come up poiltically, the battlelines are bleeding heart liberalism that wants to redistribute wealth, so that undeserving ingrates who refuse to take responsibility for themselves, get freebies vs heartless conservatives who want nothing more than to see humanity die in the streets so that the rich can get fully what they deserve.  Of course, there is also the libertarian side that goes, "Well, who am I to say what people want to do with their money?  If individuals want to throw away their money on vermin such as the poor, it is their choice and so long as it is their choice and not taken by government thugs by force, that is cool".  And yes, overly generalization here, but done stereotypically in

Well, the Roman Catholic Church elected Pope Francis, who was noted for his work with the poor, and is named after St. Francis.  So, one can see the Catholic Church will end up getting into wealth redistribution and a focus on the poor.  That is likely to be a themed focus at this point.  Is this a good thing?  Or would it be a lot better if the Catholic Church didn't discuss the poor and minded its own business.  Or, if it did speak, it spoke on the Protestant work ethic and championed rich and successful people as role models, and spoke about how people get what they deserve in this life?

Around the Network

I'm sure some Catholics will twist it around. Like the uninformed bozo speakers my church brought in when i was in confirmation class that tried to get me to believe that the Church supports the death penalty (hint: it doesn't).

It's really only about gays and women that the church is phenomenally backwards. Everywhere else, their belief in social justice serves as a strong vanguard against modern exploitation.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
I'm sure some Catholics will twist it around. Like the uninformed bozo speakers my church brought in when i was in confirmation class that tried to get me to believe that the Church supports the death penalty (hint: it doesn't).

It's really only about gays and women that the church is phenomenally backwards. Everywhere else, their belief in social justice serves as a strong vanguard against modern exploitation.

The Catholic Church has political influence. so non-Catholics are concerned.

As far as homosexuals go, there is no Biblical basis for homosexuals marrying at all, nor does it fit into tradition.  It just doesn't fit the pattern.  Of greater concern is the ban on married men being priests, which was done because priests would take over church property and give it to their kids. It was also felt that unmarried individuals could be more freed of the concerns of the world to do things.  In the Eastern Orthodoxx Church, bishops are elected from unmarried men.  It is part of the tradition of things.  But, I think it would be good here to focus on the economic side of things.  There is a core debate around the GOP's values in the United States, and a belief here in that people get what they deserve in life, and those who work hard and are gifted, always come out on top (Sean Hannity actually said that once on his show).  I also know a number here are opposed to government involvement in helping anyone at all.  Just curious to see how far this opposition goes.

I guess the church perhaps realize that people who have wealth are less likely to turn to God as much as someone who has nothing, if you have someone with nothing it's far easier to give them 1 thing they can believe in.

It's actually a clever business move.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
I guess the church perhaps realize that people who have wealth are less likely to turn to God as much as someone who has nothing, if you have someone with nothing it's far easier to give them 1 thing they can believe in.

It's actually a clever business move.

The focus on the poor also includes badgering those with money to give more, and tax policies and social welfare programs.  In short, support increases in taxes for the rich. 

As far as Christian teaching goes, look at the parable of the rich young ruler.  The focus on the poor isn't just talking to poor people, but also getting society to care more about the poor and do more.  It is just a weeee bit more demanding than what you wrote about.

Around the Network

To say it it's one thing, to mean it another. Vatican also need PR you know.

The Catholic Church has focused on the poor for a very long time... this isn't a new endeavor begun by Pope Francis. The Catholic Church places great emphasis on charity and generosity, and many Catholic nuns and laymen spend their entire lives within the Church aiding the poor.  This has long since been one of the primary missions of the Church.

Food, clothing and shelter for the poor is also one of the primary reasons there is a collection from parishioners at each Mass. It's not simply to offset the cost of administration and utility bills to keep the lights and the heat on.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

I'm glad the new Pope is a Jesuit, the most respectable branch of the Catholic church in my opinion, although I'm not Catholic. The Jesuits have traditionally focused on social justice and emphasized education. The Jesuits have founded schools and universities worldwide, as well as conducting charity and missionary work for the poor in impoverished regions. Definitely a more forward thinking group than the baseline church. Francis is apparently a very humble man as well, having lived a meagre life in Argentina and refusing many of the traditional decoration and privilege his rank in the church allowed, including after his recent election.

When has the Catholic Church not been focused on the poor?

They've pretty much always focused on charity and helping the less fortunate. Occasional scandal aside.

There effectiveness as a charity is one of the things that makes government attempts look so poor.

As for advocating for more redistributive wealth policies... I'm not sure what Saint Francis would have to do with that.. or anything really.

You are missing the entire point. Helping the poor is not only seen as a good for the poor, but as a good for the self.

Saint Francis pushed for people to reject the worldly and give all they could to help there fellow man. He didn't force anybody to do so, nor did he suggest compulsory laws to do so.

To do so would hurt others and himself spiritually in an attempt to help others physically. Since forcibly removing wealth will only cause those who have it to hold on to it tighter.  Rather then increase brotherhood across nations and within them It will breed a greater resentment towards those who are poor. 

Forcibly taking something from one person and then handing it to another psychologically doesn't exactly create friendship afterall.

If we are assuming purely spiritual motives... supporting such policies would only lead to damn others.

If we are assuming non spiritual motives... I guess they could be supporting it in hopes it would make MORE people poor and rely on the church.

Since the Catholic Church's main ways to grow tend to specifically be through charity based missionary work.

Assuming the Pope is here to promote unity and save souls etc... it probably wouldn't be the best idea.  Since such policies will only make people more drawn in.

Matthew 25:31-46.

It's very clear and unequivocal.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!