By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you actualy like the current music thats being made???

you still didnt come to detention

Around the Network

There's tons of great music being made this generation. I just haven't found most of it because it's not what the music industry pushes. That said, one of my favourite bands is the quite current The Weakerthans. They're sort of a punk/folk band with some terrific lyrics.

Here's their song sung from the perspective of an explorer who was on Shackelton's trip to the Arctic. The video itself is kind of weird.

Here's an ode to their home city, Winnipeg.

And given Bod's new modship, I think this is quite fitting. This is "Plea from a cat named virtue", in which a nice young cat calls for his owner to not be so depressed. The following is a fanmade video.

They're terrific live too.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

TWRoO said:
tombi123 said:
TWRoO said:
tombi123 said:
Thatmax said:
kirby007 said:
daft punk > all

Im not alone yay!!!

Daft Punk is playing at my house, my house. (LCD Soundsystem). 

I love the music scene at the moment. British music is always the best. 

Fixed to agee with the twrooth.

Thanks xD

Just checked your profile... you have incredibly similar book/film taste to me [see my profile] I didn't put the same films as you but your chioces could all have been on there. [Pans Labyrinth I have not seen to the end but what I saw was amazing]

Oh yeah! I also like Hot Chip and Blackadder! Great minds think alike :). The only glaring difference is that you are almost twice the height of me :P

MrBarbrook said:
you still didnt come to detention

lol im a sixth former, you cant give me detentions

Garcian Smith said:
If you hate all music that's currently being released, you aren't looking hard enough for stuff that you like.

I'll second this. There is TONNES of music out there which will never make it on the radio/tv/mainstream but is brilliant. It just requires a bit more work to find than sitting on your arse waiting for someone to play it to you and telling you to like it.

Internet radio might be a good start (I don't listen to any form of radio, so I can't really comment), because there are stations dedicated to specific genres.

Go out an see some local gigs. You know, those bands which don't have million dollar contracts, but play at the local club once every few months. You might be surprised at the "undiscovered" talent out there.

Listen to something different. I personally have a very broad taste in music, but my favourite genre is Metal. So people give me very strange looks when I tell them that I went to a Jazz club on the weekend or out to a dance party (for the music, I can't dance to save my life).

I'm sure someone else can come up with other suggestions.

Around the Network

Classic 70's rock and 80's rock is alwasy the best too me, but I like the stuff today. I'm not too picky about genres, but I won't listen to rap(why is this considered music), and I don't like most country(rock with annoying twang at least now).

So yea.

All of the mainstream stuff is rubbish, but sites like progarchives.com keep me from completely losing faith in current music :)

As long as people just aren't screaming and calling it music, it's fine in my books. Who here likes cliffs of dover, doesn't it sound like a mega man game?

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Active musical talent that I like: Lily Allen, Opeth, Bob Dylan (yep, he's still making music), Beck, Witchcraft, The Sword, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Down, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Kanye, M.I.A., The Shins, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Outkast, Modest Mouse, Muse, Silversun Pickups, etc. I'm tired of listing.

Lots of great music is being made today. It's just very little of it gets the Clear Channel seal of approval...

If you want to find good music, try listening to college/community radio, or the CBC Radio 3 podcast.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.