By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever switched your console allegiance mid-gen?

Did you switch?

I switched to Nintendo. 18 9.05%

I switched to MS. 45 22.61%

I switched to Sony. 73 36.68%

I stayed with the first console I bought. 63 31.66%

Total:199

n64 to ps1 to many great mature games on ps1 (mgs RE silent hill driver) made me leave nintendo once and for all

ps3 to 360 not necessarily switching allegiance in this case but came to terms that MS handed it to sony in many important areas and imo was the better overall console of the 7th gen

Play Me

Around the Network

never switched preference mid-gen, mainly because there are more games (that interest me) coming out all the time than I could ever hope to play (and I like to try to finish every game I play).

I had an SNES then went to the PS1 then played mostly PC during the PS2/XB/GC era then went to Wii and now Wii U. For handhelds I went GBC to GBA to DS to 3DS.

Along the way I picked up an Atari 2600, NES, N64, PS2 and PS3 and also play on iPhone/iPad and my RazorMax (android). I spend most of my time playing games that are at least a year old (out to before I was born) and only pickup very select newer games.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

Last gen: had a GC then went on to the PS2.
This gen: got Wii at launch, then PS3 a couple years ago.

I was first Nintendo then I turned Sony but then I focused back on Nintendo. I still play on my PS3 but not as often as my Wii or 3DS

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

UltimateUnknown said:
pokoko said:
Wow, the fabled hat-trick.

I've never switched mid-gen. I jumped from the SNES to the PS1, so I switched the standard way. I did get a Dreamcast when I already had a PS2, but the DC was basically dead at that point and I ended up with few games, so it was back to the PS2. I did love the DC hardware though, so who knows what might have been.

That being said, I never felt like I was switching, but rather than I just had two consoles that I liked.

lol yeah, although I didn't know it was called the hat-trick lol.

Well you can always buy a new console but your primary console still remains the same. In this case, it's more about how you grow to love another console more than the one you initially had.

That said, oh man the dreamcast. By the time I bought my PS2 back in the day, and I bought it really late last gen, the dreamcast wasn't even in the market. Crazy.

Bought my Dreamcast when they were selling them for $99. Must have been after it was discontinued.

I think an interesting question would be "What exclusives do you miss on your old console loyalty" and "What exclusives did you switch for"

Not many people do switch over mid gen, but it for those that did it would be interesting to know for what games.

For Me, Wii had Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, and Pikmin coming out (was a Wii game then). Then XenoBlade sealed the deal. Wii U looks promising too with X, Pikmin 3 (again) and SMT X Fire Emblem.

For PS3, I was genuinly surprised that I enjoyed InFamous so much. Why do PS3 fans rant on about Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Metal Gear Solid, when InFamous is better then them all (Except GT). Why doesn't InFamous sell well? So for me, InFamous, Tales of Xillia, and Gran Turismo, but I do like Uncharted. The rest I can't stand (They killed Twisted Metal!).

For Microsoft, I'll miss Forza, but only Forza 1-3. MS ruined Forza with FM4 and Horizon, now you're forced to tune your car to some ambiguous level, so you can race any car and win now. I prefer FM3 and GT5 where tuning was only used in extreme cases, and when used, it was done by necessity. Halo feels dragged on now, Gears of War is over, Lost Odyssey won't see a sequel, and Mass Effect is multiplatform now.

So unless they make a good Conker sequel, or a new IP, I have no love for MS anymore.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Here are the consoles I've supported in order of generation:

Colecovision

NES, with some Mastersystem here and there.

Sega Genesis, but then switched to SNES. Because Final Fantasy, and just Squaresoft in general.

Playstation all the way through the entire gen. Was greatly impressed with Resident Evil, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and Final Fantasy VII was coming for that system, so...  But I still had some good time on Sega Saturn and N64 at my friends. Mostly with the Panzer Dragoon series, Guardian Heroes, the best arcade ports of the era on the Saturn like Street Fighter Alpha 2, and of course, Golden Eye, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Star Fox 64 on the N64.

Got my Dreamcast on 9-9-99.  And I probably gave that console as much care as any of the others for their entire 5+ year lifespan. Then, when the Dreamcast's death was inevitable, I went to Gamecube because, you know, Metroid being one of my favourite franchises ever. And then I went to the PS2, because that's where Final Fantasy could be found, after all.  

Gamecube and PS2 received pretty much the same amount of gameplay time, I guess.  But I enjoyed the Gamecube more.

I also had the original XBox for a short while, enough to get through Shenmue 2, and then sold it.

For current gen, I first went with the 360 because the PS3 barely had anything interesting at launch and for a while after. While the 360 had Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fable 2, among others. But when Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted finally released, that's when I finally decided to switch to the PS3. I still had my 360, but ever since he RRODed, I wouldn't use it as much as before... First console to ever fail on me since I'm a gamer. So yeah... Confidence got low for that system.

Then, When the 25th Anniversary Red Wii was released, that's when I bought it. But I didn't switch to that console. My PS3 remained my main console throughout most of the generation. With the PC taking first place every once in a while, like for Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 2...

Didn't switch consoles but I became more of a PC user since the compatibility of the X360 controller on most newer games.

But if Nintendo had more support from third-parties I wouldn't have invested in the upgrade.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

haxxiy said:
Nintendo to Sony sometime during late 2008. I blame Wii Fit.

Same here. 

switched from n64 to PS2

also switched from 360 (2007-2009) to PS3

I have consoles from the three companies: PS3,PSP, PSVita, Xbox369 and 3DS. So... No.