By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Michael Pachter chooses the Xbox to win the next generation

Well....

PS4 1st place confirmed? 627 84.96%

The Oracle knows it all!! 111 15.04%

Total:738
TheAdjustmentBureau said:

I wasn't on about sales. among Sony gamers its considered the best sim. Not neutrals or critics. My fave site for Sims inside sim racing also said forza 4 is the better overall sim game.

halo hasn't had reviews in the 70s like Gt. I'm not having a dig at Gt, but they need to fix a lot for it to be considered best sim racer. sound needs to be addressed. sense of speed needs to be addressed. it needs more tuning options like forza. it needs to get rid of old assets. and tracks need to be laser scanned as some tracks have things missing. and also they need to make Laguna secs the right damn colour. why oh why is there loads of green grass everywhere in Gt Laguna secs. view any real vid of Laguna seca, its griffin Brown/sand.

This thread is about sales and who will win the generation...

A guys says GT7 is counter move to Halo in 2015... I guess it is sales wise...

You reply saying Forza meta is better than GT...

I replaied on topic saying GT will help more PS4 than Forza help Xbone... it is be a system seller... and corrected you about the metacritic comment because it is considered the racing sim of the last generation and reviewes only did the same about Destiny... downgraded the scores due expectations.

Every critic expect next God from GT games... from Forza not.

Do you see what the issue here?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
daredevil.shark said:
ethomaz said:
WOW Playdomination confirmed... I like that.

You are much better than an "analyst" in prediction.

It was pachter... he always 100% confirm the opposite of what he said.

You'd think that he would realize that and say Playstation will win, so that the opposite would happen..... I guess it still hasn't occurred to him

Deeds said:

Oh the hypocricy. So why are you mocking Pachter for jumping the gun when some of you are doing the same thing. Here is a little fact, the generation isn't over yet.

I hope you're not implying that what Pachter was really claiming is that after a botched release and a first year in which MS would see its industry leading product completely eclipsed by its primary competitor, that the product would stage a complete overhaul and that MS would carefully engineer a plan to reverse its fortunes to go on to win the next generation years later.

Because if that was his prediction, he would have stated it as such.

Ms made a bad error with DRM.

However Sony is throwing it away right now. Driveclub is a shambles with its average reviews and broken online aspect of an online heavy game. The order has terrible previews. And my friends are struggling to justify their ps4 right now. They bought because of titles Luke driveclub and the order.

Microsoft just need to keep up the exclusives with good reviews. Indies are all coming so slowly ps4 is looking pretty much a 3rd party machine only atm. I only really see uncharted trying to compete with halo 5, quantum break and rise of the tomb raider. Bloodbourne is coming next year. Butsales will be low for that game as history shows.

Sony are throwing it all away.

Funny you mention reviews when you have never even played the game.Most of the people who bought it are enjoying it which is what matters. Oddly enough you say that Lost Odyssey was a good game dispite the mediocre reviews it recieved and you ignore the flops that were Ryse and Kinect Sports Rivals. Two hyped X1 games that both failed critically and financially.

Kinect is a colossal failure for the X1 which was their main strategy for selling the X1 before it died. Titianfall failed to stimulate sales no matter the reviews.So that just leaves the same game "Froza" that MS has for high praise until Halo. You also conviently left out the average reviews for Killer Instinct and the good reviews for Infamous Second Son and Reso Gun.Funny how you criticise Sony for Idies, but MS announced tons of Indie games over the summer (with Project Spark being an Indie game) and you are ok with it.

As for previews, they are irrelevant, because the full game has not even been played and Quantum Break has less hype than Susnset,but they both will flop just like Ryse. The facts are that the PS4 will keep kicking butt and people are buying it because it's the best brand in gaming.No one bought the console for Drive Club (even though they are enjoying it) and The Order will have no impact on sales since the console is still the best selling hardware and will remain so.Whatever makes you sleep at night I guess.

Why are we discussing anedote of supposelly Friends that were in love with Xbox 360 but decided to change to Ps4 because of first parties but never liked the genres of games available on Sony only? Sony is providing first parties that they may not like plus most 3rd partie western or not. But MS is doing better because they paid for 2 exclusives? Go sell this story to someone that would buy it. How many of those anedotes have we had and X1 stayed on ps4 trail?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Funny to see that one creep back to the top :-/

He made a lot more appearances back then, I would say that the launch of the new consoles made a lot of gaming talking heads loose credibility over things they should have just said they did not know, or not touched... then again, someone had to ask MS about their DRM "features" at their big reveal event...

Still some of the stuff he liked from a business perspective (but he forgot about possible consumer backlash)

- The integration of publicity with Kinect

- Thight DRM

- Emphasis on DLC/paid content at the platform level

MS stated they would sell 1 billion of these over 10 years ! (not sure what they smoked when the projected this, but that must have been some really strong stuff)

Now, it seems current days MS is at least aware of what's going on outside their bubble and they addressed most anti-consumer practices and are handling their PR pretty well too...

Anyway, Pachter has always been a big MS fan, so there is no surprise there.

MrChaos said:

However Sony is throwing it away right now. Driveclub is a shambles with its average reviews and broken online aspect of an online heavy game. The order has terrible previews. And my friends are struggling to justify their ps4 right now. They bought because of titles Luke driveclub and the order.

Microsoft just need to keep up the exclusives with good reviews. Indies are all coming so slowly ps4 is looking pretty much a 3rd party machine only atm. I only really see uncharted trying to compete with halo 5, quantum break and rise of the tomb raider. Bloodbourne is coming next year. Butsales will be low for that game as history shows.

Funny you mention reviews when you have never even played the game.Most of the people who bought it are enjoying it which is what matters. Oddly enough you say that Lost Odyssey was a good game dispite the mediocre reviews it recieved and you ignore the flops that were Ryse and Kinect Sports Rivals. Two hyped X1 games that both failed critically and financially.

Kinect is a colossal failure for the X1 which was their main strategy for selling the X1 before it died. Titianfall failed to stimulate sales no matter the reviews.So that just leaves the same game "Froza" that MS has for high praise until Halo. You also conviently left out the average reviews for Killer Instinct and the good reviews for Infamous Second Son and Reso Gun.Funny how you criticise Sony for Idies, but MS announced tons of Indie games over the summer (with Project Spark being an Indie game) and you are ok with it.

As for previews, they are irrelevant, because the full game has not even been played and Quantum Break has less hype than Susnset,but they both will flop just like Ryse. The facts are that the PS4 will keep kicking butt and people are buying it because it's the best brand in gaming.No one bought the console for Drive Club (even though they are enjoying it) and The Order will have no impact on sales since the console is still the best selling hardware and will remain so.Whatever makes you sleep at night I guess.

Lol good point MrChaos! He also said that any Halo games are never got below 70 metacritics but The Spartan Assault received 53 on XB1 and 70 PC. Lost Odyssey actually is a good game, it got 78 metacritic score......not mediocre as you thought.

on the other hand, MGS4 is clearly the best game ever made, received 94 metacritic score! So clearly he never actually played it and straight out bashing it like its a trash game. 

And he said Dynasty Warriors are repetitive and bad game but Ryse is also repetitive with its QTE, only eye-candy graphics and nothing else. Even The Order 1886 preview doesn't have that much QTE and most gamers that actually played the demo gave positive impressions, even some game journalists praised it (i repeat, some.....not most).

He also said that Bloodborne sales will be bad but he clearly has no idea how well Dark Souls series sold. And most journalist claims that the gameplay demo is better that DaS so there's that.

But then again, PS4 is doomed!! Nooooo......

Before driveclub delay. before ps4 launched in the UK driveclub boxes were all over ps4 promotion stands. Sony pushed this game massive.

so far quantum break has got great previews. and the order poor previews.

I agree there is no first party answer to bloodbourne. But I think the witcher 3 will overshadow it both in reviews and sales. It's getting amazing praise. and visually is one of the most impressive games to come on consoles. and it releases right near bloodbourne.

I still maintain ex 360 owners are more western centric gamers, and Xbox looks to be doing a better job there.

It wasn't massive. They advertised it like other new franchises, but I knew from the start this would be an average game. It was supposed to be given away for free! Seriously, I can't stress that enough. It was meant to be an extra incentive to start paying for online on PS4 and to ease the PS audience into this notion. If someone expected a new Forza level franchise - he made a mistake. This game was designed to fulfill a particular mission and it wasn't to be mindblowing. I guess Sony kind changed plans when they realized they don't need that, since PS4 turned into the beast it did and they decided to give the studio more time to make the game better. Whether this panned out - doesn't matter to me, as this was supposed to be a free game and that's how I treat it

QB looked very interesting until they showed gameplay, which was so bland and uninspiring that I lost almost all interest in it. It still can improve, it has some talented people working on it, but while I was very excited at first, I'm not excited at all now. Have to wait and see something that interests me. I know people are criticising The Order, I hope Santa Monica helps Ready at Dawn and that they set it all straight. After all the critic came, they had a solid half year to change things, let's hope it's enough. I love the settings of the game, would be very sad if it was all destroyed by bad gameplay. I'd love to see this become a franchise.

Witcher 3 is gonna be awesome, but it's a multiplat, so will sell better on PS4 no matter what (I wonder if MS pays for parity in this game, they pay for some other extras after all) and all in all it's a different type of game. The Souls audience won't ignore Bloodbourne because of Witcher, these games satisfy different itches. Witcher is here to compete with Dragon Age and TES, not the Souls series.

I wouldn't say Xbone is doing a better job, since games you list don't even exist. GeoW? C'mon! We have only seem a logo. Halo 5? Still a long way till we play it. Titanfall? Forget about it. First one was average at best and the next installments will be on PS4. Forza is cool, but Sony has GT and no matter what you say about it, this game is in a league of its own and doesn't care about any Forza, The Crew, NFS or DriveClub. Lets face it, so far all this Western support you're talking about boils down to a lackluster Titanfall and Halo: MCC (just a port). Sony can answer with TLOU:R, Infamous: Second Son and extra content in Destiny. In 2014 the consoles are pretty much on par, you can't say MS is ahead, cause it's not. What will MS give next year? Halo 5, QB and timed exclusivity of TR. Compare that to Uncharted, The Order (even if it's only average), Bloodborne, delayed TR and it actually still is on par at best. MS isn't dominating Sony in any aspect anytime soon.

Also, don't forget about one massively important thing. We know everything that MS is doing. We know what all their top teams are doing. That is not the case with Sony. What is Santa Monica doing? That Rapture game, but such a massive studio has to be brewing something else as well - a new God of War? They've been hiring many people some time ago, so there has to be something coming. And let me remind you, that this has been one of the top studios in the world the last decade. Guerilla Games is working on two titles - we have no idea about any of them. One is probably another Killzone and we'll have to wait some time for it, but the second team is working on some mysterious RPG we know pretty much nothing of. Then we have Naughty Dog - one team is doing Uncharted 4, but what is the second team preparing? TLOU2? What is Sony Bend doing? There will be some massive announcements for PS4 in the future from the biggest studios making Western games. On the other hand 343, Black Tusk and Remedy won't be doing more than what we already know they are doing and MS has no more quality studios (apart from the Forza one). MS won't be able to compete with the output that Sony has, there is no magic here.

As you see, you are comparing the heaviest guns MS can possibly have with Sony that hasn't actually revealed all their strongest cards yet. Yes, Sony has a problem that it just can't seem to establish a massive online FPS franchise - Resistance, Killzone, SOCOM, Starhawk, Dust, etc. they are trying so hard to get such a game, but just can't steal the Halo and GeoW audience and it is a big deal in America. This is a problem for them, but they are fully aware of it and maybe they'll finally manage to overcome it somehow? That's why they paid extra for Destiny after all. They are aware of their weakness and are working on it, so don't take an MS victory here for granted. Bloodborne is a great example of that.

And a final note - when you say "Western" you actually mean "American" Cause European audience is different in this regard, we like different games, but still are very much Western

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

I agree that Sony have undelivered with their games so far but I would say PS4 is looking better in 2015. Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Tearaway and Uncharted 4 against Halo, Quantum Break and TR (which is coming to PS4 eventually). As of now 2015 looks equal but we also don't know what all of Sony's other devs are doing, theres still games to be announced from Santa Monica, Sony Bend, Guerilla Games, Guerilla Cambridge, Sony London, Sony Japan (Which consists of a few teams), The next GT which is scheduled to release 2015/16 and the next MLB. A few of these studios could release within 2015 so don't count Sony out yet.

Edit: Sony also has Ratchet & Clank and Until Dawn releasing in 2015, and Quantic Dream is also working on another game, probably won't see it in 2015 though.

Scisca said:

Haha, doesn't really sound credible. People losing faith in PS4 because of DC and The Order? I can't imagine anyone caring that much about DC, there can't be a single person that bough PS4 for it. Let me remind you - it was supposed to be a free game given away on PS+ right from the start! It was obvious from the first announcement that it would be more of a filler in the waiting for GT7 than a serious new franchise on the market.

On the other hand The Order looked awesome, but let's face it, it's being made by a dev who was only doing PSP games - that is telling. This should be a Vita title really. I'd say that the level of hype and excitement they managed to get aroung their game is a surprising success already. This is a B studio trying to make a step up, the same applies to Sony Bend and their upcoming game. This is the background, not the main dish Sony has to offer. Wait for Guerilla Games, wait for Santa Monica.

Setting Uncharted alone vs Halo 5, QB and TR is as unfair as it gets. TR is only timed exclusive, so it shouldn't even be mentioned. Halo 5 is a massive game, bigger than Uncharted, but QB looks just as disappointing as The Order. Moreover, Uncharted isn't coming alone - there is Bloodborne, which looks awesome and has no competition in the stables of MS. GT7 is inevitable and it is easily on pair with Halo. There are so many other games coming, Sony has many more franchises and studios than MS and it will show soon, just like it did last gen.

Before driveclub delay. before ps4 launched in the UK driveclub boxes were all over ps4 promotion stands. Sony pushed this game massive.

so far quantum break has got great previews. and the order poor previews.

I agree there is no first party answer to bloodbourne. But I think the witcher 3 will overshadow it both in reviews and sales. It's getting amazing praise. and visually is one of the most impressive games to come on consoles. and it releases right near bloodbourne.

I still maintain ex 360 owners are more western centric gamers, and Xbox looks to be doing a better job there.

The thing is, last generation saw the Xbox 360 holding several basic advantages that it doesn't any longer- price, launch time, multiplat quality, etc- as well as actually having a decently varied array of exclusive titles. There were some Japanese titles, less 'shootery' stuff like Kameo, etc, etc, before the 360's final few years dissolved into just Halo, Gears and Forza over and over. But by then, of course, the 360 had a big, big gap in the U.S., and because of the whole 'Going To Get What My Friends Have' phenomenon, the console continued to sell on its own merits, despite the lack of new exclusives. So simply declaring that all, or even most, of those 360 owners are going to get an Xbox One 'Because Western' isn't by any stretch of the imagination a guarantee.

Heck, since you were using a personal story in another thread about how your friends are disappointed in their PS4s, let me share you one of mine. A friend of mine, fiery lass that she is, big Call of Duty fan, (filthy mouth when she plays it, too,) she was even quite attached to her Gamerscore, and while she was initially irritated with Microsoft's original policies, price, etc, when they reversed all that, she decided 'Yeah, when I get the money together, I'll get an Xbox One.' Largely because she was a 360 gal, might as well get the next Xbox. Now, despite my love of debate on here, I don't pressure or prod my friends, so I respected her decision.

As it turns out, her decision changed anyway; after she had seen Sony and Microsoft's Gamescom shows, she made such an abrupt about-face, I was actually pretty surprised. Bottom line, she wanted variety, and as far as she was concerned, Microsoft flopped facefirst in delivering that for their show. This was a decision notable to me because it wasn't born of that whole DRM and pricing mess, it was literally, entirely based on her comparison of their game lineups. (For the record, her judgement of Quantum Break, based on the footage they showed, was 'Well, it's technically impressive and sparkly, but kinda looks like another shooter where time goes wibbly.' ) ((She's also a Doctor Who fan.))

Now, obviously, neither my, nor your, personal stories mean 'Entire Market Will Be Like This,' but in my case, it isn't meant to be 'Sales Will Go This Way Because...' reasoning. Rather, I'm just advancing 'If Sales CONTINUE To Go This Way (Sony In The Lead) It Will Likely Be Because...' Things may indeed change. Or they may not. We'll have to wait and see. =P

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.