By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should it be necessary to have a PS2, PS3 AND PS4 hooked up all at once to play?

why is it such a big deal to hook up or constantly hook up systems to your tv? will a couple of secmin really effect your gaming experience? I know it's unfortunate that Sony didn't inlude BC bu the same people complaining about Sony not having BC would probably be complaining about the price being too high if they did.

many of people here are multi-console owners of this gen consoles, i wouldn't see it particularly different than the current problem posted by the OP.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
richardhutnik said:
brendude13 said:
kowenicki said:
How else can money be made from "remakes"

Huh?

Remove backwards compatibility, remix content, and rerelease.  Look at what has been done with Halo and also a number of PS2 titles on the PS3.  There is HD remakes.

I didn't get how his answer linked into the question.

I saw it as, "Why have backwards compatibility, when you can sell remakes?"  In short, backwards compatibility undermines reselling old content.

I came back to a few PS1 and PS2 games a while back. While the nostalgia factor is GRAND, I've got sore thumbs right now from wrestling with some of the older controls.
I'm playing Bugs Bunny Lost in time on the PS3 right now and GOD is it killing my fingers. I've booted up Crash Bandicoot Twinsanity on the PS2 and most of the first levels I've only gone around and died because nothing works as I've gotten used to. Sure, it's fun to revisit days of future past, but in the end it's not something particularly important for me.

I agree with the posts that say you should just keep the older consoles boxed and pull them out once there's something you really wish to replay. That way you save up space and you get a healthy dose of nostalgia bliss while you're pulling the machine out, dusting it off and set it up somewhere on the floor, a remote island of "What was" among your newer tech.
My opinion on the matter.

I understand the whole issue of the Cell Processor being to expensive to incorporate and too complicated to emulate.

I'm still concerned about this Gaiaki issue.

Basically access to our back catalogue is dependent on an Internet connection, right? Thats seems risky. What happens if we loose our connection as the game is running? What if we live in households with multiple users dependent on the same connection.

I just don't like it. It means our BC is dependent on an Internet connection. What about countries where the Broadband services are inefficient. This Gaikai solution solves 1 issue and creates another problem. Does anyone have a good explanation for this? I admit I'm a bit confused about the situation.

arcane_chaos said:
why is it such a big deal to hook up or constantly hook up systems to your tv? will a couple of secmin really effect your gaming experience? I know it's unfortunate that Sony didn't inlude BC bu the same people complaining about Sony not having BC would probably be complaining about the price being too high if they did.

many of people here are multi-console owners of this gen consoles, i wouldn't see it particularly different than the current problem posted by the OP.

I have limited space myself, and have content I would like to be able to still use.  It is preferable that viable content i can still use.

Around the Network
rutea7 said:
darkknightkryta said:

You bought the God of War PS3?????

No, last years I sold my fat ps3 without the ds3 and got the ps3 slim red with two red ds3, I love it. Besides I had some friends over and with 3 controllers we had some fun with games like motorstorm apocalypse, Scott pilgrim and lbp2. It was a mess of course.

Yeah my fat PS3 is currently my Netflix box in the family room.  Was it a mess?  Or was it the greatest night of gaming ever?!!!!

bc is only really handy in the first 6-12 months of a consoles life cycle. after that i just move on entirely. but hey, i have 2 NES, snes, n64, gc, gb and ds still around if i want to play old games. ..if i want to dig them out of storage.

richardhutnik said:
brendude13 said:

I didn't get how his answer linked into the question.

I saw it as, "Why have backwards compatibility, when you can sell remakes?"  In short, backwards compatibility undermines reselling old content.

Oh, gotcha. I musn't have been reading it right.

TheKoreanGuy said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
NightDragon83 said:
Backwards compatibility is definitely overrated.

This.

PS3 ditched ps2 compatibility because it did not prove to be a major selling point and it was not worth the additional costs.

It would have been a better selling point if the thing didn't launch at freaking $599.

How ?

The PS2 compatibility came at a cost: the ps3 hardware itself couldn't play PS2 games. That's why the first PS3s came with the PS2 CPU & GPU on board.

TheKoreanGuy said:
NightDragon83 said:
Backwards compatibility is definitely overrated.

This.

PS3 ditched ps2 compatibility because it did not prove to be a major selling point and it was not worth the additional costs.

It would have been a better selling point if the thing didn't launch at freaking $599.

How ?

The PS2 compatibility came at a cost: the ps3 hardware itself couldn't play PS2 games, it came with the PS2 CPU & GPU.

The Cell processor is the main reason for the high cost of PS3. If PS3 launched at $499 without Cell and with BC, I would bet that it would've sold so much better. Sony didn't ditch PS2 BC because it proved to be worthless. They did it to lower costs in order to alleviate their other poor decisions with the PS3. Now PS4 has to suffer because Sony is smart enough to ditch the Cell processor. I'm not saying having no BC is a deal breaker, but having it is a GOOD selling point, if not major for others.