By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Braid Dev: New Xbox 'Not Strictly About Games'

YukanaSenix said:
Machiavellian said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
entertainment apps will be the primary focus of the new xbox. games are secondary for microsoft.

I know that this seems to be the current thought process but in the pass 2 years MS has purchase or built about 5 game studios.  From about 13 studios that MS has, we have not seem anything.  It's a good bet that all of those studios will be releasing games for the next Xbox.

you can bet both Sony and MShave the same goal in a media hub and the PS4 will integrate with all of Sony stuff.  The key will be which one will be able to execute their plan the best.

Kinect Fitnessgames don't count
We all have seen that list where a lot of unanounced Kinect games are listed.
The focus of Microsoft is the Media and Casual market cause they know the other people are satisfied with the Next Halo Trilogy already.

We know most studios Sony has are working on 2 Games(except PD cause they only do GT) and most of those studios are on the quality level of Naughty Dog.
Sorry Sony is putting a lot more effort in GAMING than anyone right now - PS3 even gets a lot of new games in 2013 and a new core IP from Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream.

Okay, so you think the BioShock Infinite producer, combat designer and AI lead joined Microsoft to work on Kinect fitness games?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-16-two-more-exit-bioshock-infinite-developer-irrational-games

Or the lead developer of Crysis 2 joined Black Tusk studios (used to be MS Vancouver) will do dancing-games now?
http://shogungamer.com/news/15050/microsoft-reveals-black-tusk-studios-rumored-making-sci-fi-shooter

Or one of the game designers of Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us will do Kinect Sports season 3?
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alex-liu/2b/1a9/14

Sony on the other hand closed BigBig, Sony Liverpool and Zipper and after PSABR flopped as bad as it did they did not support SuperBot Entertainment any longer and they are basically dead now. All of this happened in the past 2 years.

http://kotaku.com/5981571/sony-cuts-ties-with-playstation-all+stars-creators-studios-fate-in-question

--> conclusion: MS will only do casual games now... Riiiiiight.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
So the PS4 then? that IS strictly about games?

Neither the PS4 and 360 will be strictly about games, just like the 360 and PS3 aren't strictly about games.

Shite article.

Depends on your definition of "strictly".

Obviously PS4 will be more than just a game console, hell even the Wii U is. But games are what Sony is relying on to sell PS4s, not "interactive TV" or navigating the dashboard with Kinect. (I'm basing this off the last few years of E3 press conferences, the Playstation Meeting and current rumors.) 

@KingHades

Innovation and quality are not synonymous. They can exist independent of one another, and most often they do just that. Most innovative games do not earn a meta rating of over ninety. While most games that earn a meta rating of over ninety are rarely innovative. Typically those games garner that score, because they were a refinement of a game that was previously made. So by default they aren't truly innovative.

Most innovative games actually score pretty poorly, because people find that the innovation isn't necessarily to their liking. The vast majority of attempts at being innovative actually end in failure to one degree or another. Only a select few become break out hits, because of their innovation. I have played a lot of fairly innovative games this generation that didn't rate all that well, or sell all that well for that matter.

There are some highly innovative games that are quality enough to justify a high rating, but they are hardly the norm, and you shouldn't think the innovation alone made them happen. Alluding to my previous post and Rare. The studio in the past generation brought us Nuts and Bolts, and Viva Pinata. Both of which were highly innovative games, and while they got points for their innovation. They never the less didn't score anywhere close to over ninety.

Whatever you are trying to say. You aren't using the right word to express it.

KingHades said:

I never said that. Yes most games that don't get above a 90 are USUALLY games without innovation.

You sidestep way to much. This debate is over.

Perfect! =D Then don't you dare saying Viva Piñata is not a game without innovation. It holds an 85 in metacritic. It is an awesome game. So yes, the debate is over. Rare has done great things this gen.

DirtyP2002 said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
kowenicki said:
.... just like the 360 and PS3 aren't strictly about games.

Come on now, at least try to be subjective.

The ps3 has been way more balanced as a media / gaming machine unlike the 360. case in point; Usher @ 2012 e3

Usher was there to promote a game. -.-

a dancing "game".

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
kowenicki said:
.... just like the 360 and PS3 aren't strictly about games.

Come on now, at least try to be subjective.

The ps3 has been way more balanced as a media / gaming machine unlike the 360. case in point; Usher @ 2012 e3

Usher was there to promote a game. -.-

a dancing "game".

So these do not count now?

Isn't all this "Kinect does not count!" and "XBLA does not count either" getting old?
I played and loved Dance Central 2 (I know he promoted DC3) btw. Fun times when friends are over! Just like Kinect Sports 1 and 2 or Kinect Adventures.

It is beyond me why some people don't even accept games as games, just because they don't like them. They are so obsessed by themselves that they think their gaming taste is superior than other peoples taste.

All this hardcore gaming talk is just stupid. As if Dance Central somehow killed hardcore gaming. Gaming gets bigger and bigger and therfore it offers more for everyone. And that is why the multimedia features the next xbox will bring to the table are actually a damn good thing.

DirtyP2002 said:

As if Dance Central somehow killed hardcore gaming.

I feel like I'm having a déjà vu of discussions with nintendo fans...

Machiavellian said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
entertainment apps will be the primary focus of the new xbox. games are secondary for microsoft.

I know that this seems to be the current thought process but in the pass 2 years MS has purchase or built about 5 game studios.  From about 13 studios that MS has, we have not seem anything.  It's a good bet that all of those studios will be releasing games for the next Xbox.

you can bet both Sony and MShave the same goal in a media hub and the PS4 will integrate with all of Sony stuff.  The key will be which one will be able to execute their plan the best.

well until we get actual AAA exclusives that are ONLY on xbox and aint halo or gears of war it doesnt matter how many studios microsoft buy or build. throughout this gen microsoft have had plenty of studios but all we've got is halo and forza over and over again from their 1st party. next gen they need more exclusives.

DirtyP2002 said:

As if Dance Central somehow killed hardcore gaming.

I feel like I'm having a déjà vu of discussions with nintendo fans...

no, you have a discussion with rational gamers, who prove you wrong.

I wonder what type of focus microsoft will have during their kinectbox reveal. OBVIOUSLY it's going to be nothing but kinect lol, but what else are they planning.

I have a feeling that they are going to go way overboard in attempting to present the next xbox as an "entertainment center." Xbox isn't an entertainment center, never has been. It's important to push that idea, it benefits the company, but it's not going to sway consumers if they can't even play a bluray. At some point the PS3 took that mantle and it's been that way for a while.

If they bring out another celebrity in an attempt to offset some inadequacy of the hardware. "Presentation" over substance.... Just don't. It's that beatles rockband crap all over again. Nobody cares about celebs selling the hardware. Show us the games and features.