By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Braid Dev: New Xbox 'Not Strictly About Games'

sounds like fun

Around the Network

I find it funny that the guy who went on record to say he hasn't been able to work with the next xbox or has had any contact with Microsoft is now trying to say what they will or will not do next gen.

I said it before and I will say it again. The way he is talking is he was looking for someone to show off his game and one company returned his call over the other.

Won't matter because right now he is mad, but when the time comes he won't have any issue with taking the money he makes when his game does get to the next xbox.

Dodece said:
Atari should be a object lesson that nobody should forget. They let any and all developers do whatever they wanted on that platform, and we know how that turned out.

That's not quite true actually. Atari did not want third parties making games on their consoles. Legally, they tried to stop it and failed. There were no third party licenses, contracts or anything. If a third party developer wanted to make a 2600 game, all they had to do was get their hands on a development kit, which wasn't hard to do. Nintendo initially tried to do the same thing with the Famicom, but quickly realized thatthey could not make enough games on their own to meet consumer demand, which led to the licensing system we're all familiar with today.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

crissindahouse said:

ps4 won't be strictly about games neither, otherwise we couldn't watch movies with consoles or whatever else even this gen. the "everything only for the gamers" is just a myth even for ps4 but that microsoft tries to make a full multimedia machine out of the next console should everyone know nowadays even without the braid guy saying it. and i have absolutely no problem with it, i just can't use most the stuff here lol.

i just hope nextbox won't be much weaker as ps4 if it comes to gaming capabilities because then, even most ps4 games could suffer from it if nextbox+wii u would sell much more as ps4. maybe the same game would look better on ps4 but i don't think they would try as much as if ps4 and nextbox would be much closer in specs and those two consoles combined would dominate the market.

Assuming the rumors are true the Xbox and the PS4 are the same with the exception of the PS4 being faster at the same things. Geometry, lighting, characters on screen AI. All this will be easily handled by the Xbox.. All PS4 Multiplats need to do is crank up settings like add Physicsstuff or high res textures and AA on top. If there is s gamevision that can't be done like Intended due to lack of processing power on Xbox they will simply free resources and lower the res a little cut back on draw distance let away some assets decrease texture quality on Xbox deactivate hair/liquid physics etc. Xbox is not far enough away power wise to affect the PS4 graphics. Aslong as the game gets no PS3/360 or Wii version its fine DX11Gpu+PS4+Xbox will not change anything.

There will be still room for improvments for first partys but the PS4 will not suffer due to a slower Xbox but just by the fact Xbox exists at all. If PS4 would be all there is on the market than all the engines would be perfectly tailored to one system and build from the ground up just for it. If the competitor has 30-50% weaker features but exactly the same features, will not affect PS4 much with such similar hardware. That there  are competitors at all will make the difference between first and third party graphics.  Lets say all there is are PC and PS4 with PS4 selling more games all the tools and Engines would be mainly judged on how effectively they take advantage of the PS4, an Engines success would depent on just that and how cost effective it is to use. 

Scaling to other inferior platforms would be pointless since the only platform that matters is PS4. And PC due to power could brute force everything anyway.

But the main problem is the money and time that gets invested on Multiplatform games. Instead of wasting money on doing redundant things and dealing with 2 Platforms, this means more, better assets, better textures and time consuming optimizations. 

In short PS4 will not see disadvantages due to power of the Xbox but due to the multiplatformprocess itself. This can only be remedied by taking over the Xboxmarket, which seems unlikely. 

I would be pretty pissed ifthe next Xbox was only about games. I want a media center in my living room that plays games. Only on the internet you see this point being a negative for MS.

Heck the users of XBL spent more time on entertainment than on gaming.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/03/entertainment-apps-now-more-popular-than-multiplayer-gaming-on-xbox-live/

You are just blinded if you think this will be totally different on the PS3. Both are going after the same target audience anyway.

If the rumors indicate anything, the Xbox 3 will be just as powerful as the PS4. Well give or take 5 - 15%. So I can still play games that look like Killzone 4 and use all the entertainment apps. It is not like one is contradicting the other. And you just have to agree that MS outspent Nintendo and Sony when it comes to first party support. And somehow I doubt the producers / developers of BioShock Infinite, Crysis 2 and Need for Speed will start to make casual games now.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

If the rumors indicate anything, the Xbox 3 will be just as powerful as the PS4. Well give or take 5 - 15%. 

So there are new infos ? What changed ? 

Nsanity said:
KingHades said:
Nsanity said:
KingHades said:
Wright said:
Bad relationship with Microsoft? What a shame. I love the guy's ideas. Considering Braid debuted exclusively in the 360 and then later ported to every other platform, I thought they actually get along fine.

Tell that to Cliffy B and Rare because they don't seem to get along with MS.

Source?

I'm not saying it as a fact im saying it as how Cliffy B left Epic because he didn't want to be contracted into make Gears for the rest of his life which is a fact even IGn reported it in one of their Xbox conversations.

Rare hasn't made ONE I repeat ONE amazing game since Microsoft required them you can try and damage controll this,but im just stating facts.

Whisful thinking and facts are two completely different things.

How am I wishful thinking lol? Please show me ONE game that Rare has made that has blown people away this gen. Please show me that Cliffy B has any interest in making the stale franchise that is Gears of War.

KingHades said:
Nsanity said:
KingHades said:
Nsanity said:
KingHades said:
Wright said:
Bad relationship with Microsoft? What a shame. I love the guy's ideas. Considering Braid debuted exclusively in the 360 and then later ported to every other platform, I thought they actually get along fine.

Source?

I'm not saying it as a fact im saying it as how Cliffy B left Epic because he didn't want to be contracted into make Gears for the rest of his life which is a fact even IGn reported it in one of their Xbox conversations.

Rare hasn't made ONE I repeat ONE amazing game since Microsoft required them you can try and damage controll this,but im just stating facts.

How am I wishful thinking lol? Please show me ONE game that Rare has made that has blown people away this gen. Please show me that Cliffy B has any interest in making the stale franchise that is Gears of War.

As far as I know, Microsoft did not ask Epic to pump up the Gears games. Gears is actually an Epic IP, not Microsoft; the fact that they're releasing another Gears game this month is Epic's fault, not Microsoft. Cliff Blaosndfsoininski just got tired. Microsoft only puts the money.

Rare has made Kameo, a Banjo Tooie and Viva Piñata. If you don't like childish-looking games it is your fault, but they're awesome games. Especially Viva Piñata. (I think it holds an 85 in metacritic, not that it matters much).

And the Bungie situation is more of the same. Microsoft did not ask Bungie to keep releasing Halo's. They could have done other things. Bungie keep doing it, then they asked Microsoft if they could become an independent studio again and Microsoft accepted (Money helps, of course). Then they gave Halo (which is Microsoft property) to 343industries and they released Halo 4. What gives? It is Bungie's fault.

There is a guy on the site who claimed to have inside info on next gen from devs and he said this would happen? Where's that thread

Wright said:
KingHades said:
Nsanity said:
KingHades said:
Nsanity said:
KingHades said:
Wright said:

Source?

As far as I know, Microsoft did not ask Epic to pump up the Gears games. Gears is actually an Epic IP, not Microsoft; the fact that they're releasing another Gears game this month is Epic's fault, not Microsoft. Cliff Blaosndfsoininski just got tired. Microsoft only puts the money.

Rare has made Kameo, a Banjo Tooie and Viva Piñata. If you don't like childish-looking games it is your fault, but they're awesome games. Especially Viva Piñata. (I think it holds an 85 in metacritic, not that it matters much).

And the Bungie situation is more of the same. Microsoft did not ask Bungie to keep releasing Halo's. They could have done other things. Bungie keep doing it, then they asked Microsoft if they could become an independent studio again and Microsoft accepted (Money helps, of course). Then they gave Halo (which is Microsoft property) to 343industries and they released Halo 4. What gives? It is Bungie's fault.

Microsoft has Epic Contracted to make Gears what are you talking about? That's one of the reasons why he left Epic because he didn't want to be contracted into making Gears exclusive for the 360 for the rest of his life. You really think that they couldn't port it to PS3? It's just Microsoft will keep paying them not to do so.

Kameo isn't even good IMO,Banjo Tooie horrible when compared to the n64 games,Viva Piñata?Really? I'm older than 5 so obviously it won't appeal to me and still Rare has not made an amazing game since it joined Microsoft.