By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo make more sequels in the same console generation?

Screamapillar said:
Fireforgey said:
Wow a bunch of people taking about Nintendo sequels without them being called rehashed...What the hell am I on?

TROLL!!!

actually I'm a Nintendo fan, I'm just so used to seeing "Nintendo sequal", and "rehash"  always put in the same thread if not the same sentence.  Today has been completely upsidedown and backwards for me and this thread has continued that trend.  Next someone is going to talk about how the PS4 isn't that amazing, and the Playstation fanboys will graciously laugh and pokea little bit of fun at themselves for the hype that is made.  Then, proceed to appreciate Nintendo's heritage in the Video Game Industry......Today has been wierd.

Around the Network

I think it has to do with the fact that Nintendo games tend to have very long legs. Unlike cross platform games many Nintendo games actually don't sell the majority of thier units in the first month following release. If Nintendo were to release a second Mario Kart game on a platform the first Mario Kart game would probably stop selling alltogether and the legs would be replaced by the new mario game. So yeah they sell maybe 4 Million units to the same people who own the first Mario Kart game but after that they just be selling the new mario kart game instead of the the old mario kart game to a late adopter of the system.

A game like Mario 3d makes sense to release a sequel as well as something like Metroid Prime where a larger percentage of the buyers are core gamers. But for 2d Mario and Mario Kart I don't think there would be a huge benifit sales wise and Nintendo is better off creating an expasion pack like they are doing with the new Luigi expansion in New Super Mario Bros U because it won't have any negative affect on the legs of the main game.  They would also be better of creating a game with a different flavor such as a Mario RPG which caters to a different audience and will have it's own legs.

Am I wrong here?

pokeclaudel said:

Look at the sales of Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2. Galaxy 2 only sold 3 million less than the first one using all the same engine and assets the game must have cost almost nothing to make but made almost as much. Even the Mario party games released in the same gen sell around the same amount (with the exception of Mario party 8) of around 2 million each.  

I would eat up Zelda if they released 3 games in the series in the same gen. You can't say people would get tired of the game because look at Uncharted. Naughty dog released a game every other year and each sold 4-6 million each. Even if the first Zelda sold 5 million and the second only sold 3 million and the third sold only 2 million that's still 10 million copies sold using the assets. Each Zelda game has like 30-50 hours of entertainment so all they have to do is lower that to 20-30 increase production value with voice acting add a little more story. And in the next 2 years tweak the engine add more story by maybe fleshing out characters that were popular and they could reuse a lot of the old assets and put out another 20-30 hour game rinse and repeat.

According to Nintendo a lot of time spent developing a Zelda game is making the art styles, tones, and settings in the games so it well really helps everyone. If they are grounded into a setting, they could spend more time on making the other aspects of the game better by getting rid of fetch quests with more dungeons or side quests with legitimate rewards.

What's the down side to doing something like this?

Well, with the 3DS has gotten so many New 1st Party IPs that I don't think it even matters.

And the Wii U is also getting quite a bit of New 1st Party IPs.

Just look at my 2 Official Sig Logo, from Nintendomination to get an idea.

And we have already gotten a Sequel to some of the New 1st Party IPs on the 3DS, like Crashmo & Dillon's Rolling Western the Last Ranger.

So I think you are...like everyone else on VGChartz, stuck in 2010. While gamers like me are living in 2013.

Fireforgey said:
Wow a bunch of people taking about Nintendo sequels without them being called rehashed...What the hell am I on?

Well yes, this looks like a positive thread, finally. Maybe it will be a new record?

OP: To maintain the value in the IP. I believe Nintendo wants to release only one game per generation on each IP, that way they can expand their portafolio with. Problem for them is that not every IP sell in line of expectations, therefore recurrs to a sequel to obtain the lost sales.

I think the Wii series is the perfect example.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Besides what people already stated, they simply dont NEED to make sequels. YOu make one Mario game a gen and that game would sell for the entire gen, not a lot of series are like that. Why waste money making a new game when the old one is still being bought at FULL price, not so good for a fan of a series but its a great business move

Around the Network

Just look what happened to Guitar Hero. Nintendo protects their main franchises very well, and makes sure that people crave a new game before they make it. With the sheer number of franchises they got, I don't really see it as a problem.

They would then be milking their franchises and nintendo doesn't do that, is just the way they keep things new.

Nintendo does one thing far better than anyone else: manage franchises.

Think about how many other companies would have drove Mario into the ground by the mid 90s, or Pokemon by the early 00s. Nintendo understands there is so much of something the public will consume before they tire. By doing the 1-2 per system Nintendo keeps Zelda or Mario Kart special and relevant.

I'm honestly a little surprised by this topic as so many people seem to complain about "another [insert Nintendo IP here]" with each console cycle.

Well... Sonic 3 was so much bigger and better than Sonic 2, it had to be split into two games, with the 2nd half of Sonic 3 being called Sonic & Knuckles. There was even plans to make a cart that contained the complete edition of sonic 3 & Knuckles.

But despite sonic 2 selling as well as it did. Despite sonic 3 & knuckles being much better with added features, it didn't sell as much as Sonic 2. So, it's not all bad. I think Nintendo is doing fine without rehashing the same game over and over like Street fighter II, III and IV.

pokeclaudel said

Even if the first Zelda sold 5 million and the second only sold 3 million and the third sold only 2 million that's still 10 million copies sold using the assets.

Look at Twilight Princess and then look at Skyward Sword. Do they look like they share any assets?