By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3's Last 8 core 1st party retail games Average 79 Metacritic - We need to talk

I don't see the problem here, most of them aren't even first party and most are experimental new games and it's widely known that 2012 was a bad year for Sony exclusives. Didn't even add Ni No Kuni even though 6 of those games aren't first party either. Plus during the end of a console cycle especially this long one games tend to score lower. Why are so many people trying to put a spin on this like it's really bad? Do some comparisons to the competition and it will blow your mind.

Around the Network
maximrace said:
Sony boys in full defence because their so great exclusives don't score that good ;)

Strange that you came to that incredible conclusion yet failed to realize that those same "Sony boys" want the lower scored Move titles included as well.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

CGI-Quality said:
maximrace said:
Sony boys in full defence because their so great exclusives don't score that good ;)

Oh, how this may come back to bite if Gears: J is hammered by reviewers. ;)

Why that? I have never said gears will be great. It's just irritating that sony fans always bash the other products and say ps is the best while in fact it isn't like this list proves.

pezus said:
JWeinCom said:
pezus said:
JWeinCom said:
pezus said:
JWeinCom said:
This seems about right. Sony is an above average developer, but not an amazing one. Most of their games are good (which these scores reflect) some of the are very bad, and a few are amazing.

Sony isn't a developer.

Nintendo with 77 the same then (all games). Good.

Last 8 retail games published by Nintendo: 76.

Are people expecting an average above 80 or 90 or what?

I guess I meant developer in the broader sense of conglomeration of developers.  Or publisher if you like.  W/e.

What were the last 8 retail games published by Nintendo?

http://www.metacritic.com/company/nintendo?filter-options=games&num_items=30&sort_options=date

You will excuse me counting 3DS+Wii+WiiU games because there haven't been that many recent ones on Wii/WiiU:

Brain Age: Concentration Training - 73
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 92
NSMBU - 84
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - 70
SiNG Party - 59
Nintendo Land - 77
Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 75
(Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive!) - 63 but seems to be a retail release of a digital game
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - 82

Last 8 retail games: 76.5 (74 if you count the retail release of the digital game (like JayWood does himself for PS games)

Average career score: 77

I don't think Razor's Edge should be included.  It's a revision of a game that was originally made without any input of Nintendo.  If you want to include Brain Age and Sing Party, you'd have to include games like Wonder Book and Sports Champions 2.  Define the games however you like, but you have to be consistent.

Well it was published by Nintendo. Ratchet and Clank was made by a 3rd party dev too. Including Wonderbook and Sports Champions 2 wouldn't change much since they're both around 70.

But, fine, I'll look for two-three more Nintendo games and I'll include the retail digital game to be consistent. Is Pokemon a core game?

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 92
NSMBU - 84
Nintendo Land - 77
Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 75
Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive! - 63 
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - 82
Pokémon Black & White 2 - 80
Inazuma Eleven Strikers - 59

Avg: 76.5! Lol, basically the same as before.

There is a difference between a game that was developed by a third party, but was funded and made completely under Sony's watch with a Sony owned IP, and a port of a game that was made with no input from Nintendo until after the game was already a finished and shipped product.

Inazuma is a questionable one because it was only published by Nintendo in Europe.  In Japan, it was published by Level 5.  I can't say it's wrong to include it, but personally, I wouldn't.  It's the same kind of thing as Ninja Gaiden, where Nintendo had nothing to do with the game till they put it in a box and shipped it whereas Sony was presumably involved in the other games from inception to completion. 

I'll leave it to others to decide whether or not it should be included.  If people decide not to include it, the average jumps up 78.875.

To do it the simplest way and just add the most recent games with Sony or Nintendo listed as a publisher...

Anyway, that's my opinion on what should be included.  Feel free to disagree.  Don't have the time or energy to argue about it.

At least they got exclusives, shiiiiit......

Around the Network

Bah most of those games are underrated gems (Starhawk). And deriving fun from Sly 4 is dependent on if you like your platformers old school or not, so either way some people would be disappointed even if it didn't harken back to its old self. That's why I don't bother with metas.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

maximrace said:
CGI-Quality said:
maximrace said:

Why that? I have never said gears will be great. It's just irritating that sony fans always bash the other products and say ps is the best while in fact it isn't like this list proves.

What about this list? (Courtesy of a VGC user, cant remember his name)

Theres nothing to talk about. Commercial reviews are a joke and you shouldnt take them into account when choosing a game to buy.

Aldro said:
maximrace said:
CGI-Quality said:
maximrace said:

This list makes more sense when you actually compare to the competition instead of just looking at new experimental games and just purposefuly picking the lowest game scores.

Aldro said:
maximrace said:
CGI-Quality said:
maximrace said:

Well played. Now we have context.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS