By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you wish Nintendo would go just a smidgen more Mainstream with their games?

BasilZero said:

They already tried with Star Fox and Metroid - and failed somewhat.

Make a new IP - FPS would be good at this point - do it while the genre still has some gas in it!

Too late. Open-world games are back in style.

Actually I would like to see more open-world games from Nintendo...

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

OP, I'm not sure what you mean by mainstream. Isn't mainstream what the Wii was? Casual gamers? You're probably referring to the popularity around big name titles like CoD, Mass Effect, Halo, etc. and their more realistic mature themes. Nintendo could do this, but that might not work as their user base probably doesn't want that and the user base that does probably doesn't want a Nintendo console regardless of a few new IPs, but I could be wrong and doing that might really help the Wii U look like an option.

The loss of third party support, which is what the Wii U is facing right now, is a mixture of lack of interest from the target market and Nintendo's choice of hardware. I think they made a poor choice in their architecture, design, and hardware capabilities. Wii's success rode on the wide adoption among casual gamers who have happily jump on the mobile bandwagon. Nintendo betting on their tablet controller was obviously the wrong move but they will still have many opportunities to change that over the years. Strong software support and updating functionality will determine the Wii U going forward, but as it looks right now Nintendo might have to go back to the drawing board in a few years time, no shorter than 3 years.

Even if Nintendo doesn't manage to attract gamers who would buy CoD everytime it comes out or similar titles, they really need to increase its install base so that those big titles and other more tailored ones from large publishers make it to the Wii U.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

spurgeonryan said:
Immortal said:
Don't see what you mean. Nintendo is considerably more mainstream than pretty much any other video game company. I do believe they should continue going in this direction, though.

When I say mainstream do you think I mean "casual"? Because that is not what I mean. I know they have gone that route before.

I mean just what I post in the OP chark. Games like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc. The games you see get most press coverage or advertisement for.

Oh okay. That's not a problem then. Nintendo just need to spend more money on marketing!

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

bananaking21 said:
define mainstream

This.

I thought Nintendo was pretty damn mainstream, what with their games selling millions and all. Wii could be the definition of a mainstream console.

NintendoPie said:
Isn't Nintendo always defined by "doing what other's don't"? (At least that's how Game Critics and Analysts describe Nintendo...) If so, I want them to stay away from mainstream as much as possible.

its just something like to say about themselfs after they did the Wii and DS

Around the Network

Nobody who likes games like Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed is going to buy a Nintendo console for 6-7 games like those when they can buy systems that are flooded with them.

bananaking21 said:
NintendoPie said:
Isn't Nintendo always defined by "doing what other's don't"? (At least that's how Game Critics and Analysts describe Nintendo...) If so, I want them to stay away from mainstream as much as possible.

its just something like to say about themselfs after they did the Wii and DS

I don't know if Nintendo say that about themselves, but I know Analysts and Journalists always say that about them.

spurgeonryan said:
Immortal said:
Don't see what you mean. Nintendo is considerably more mainstream than pretty much any other video game company. I do believe they should continue going in this direction, though.

When I say mainstream do you think I mean "casual"? Because that is not what I mean. I know they have gone that route before.

I mean just what I post in the OP chark. Games like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc. The games you see get most press coverage or advertisement for.

Oh, I see.

Hell, no, then.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

spurgeonryan said:

Do you? They can keep the cartoony stuff, but for games like Zelda, Metroid,F-Zero, etc.

Metroid has gone in the right direction, but could be much more.

Recent Tomb Raider game would be a good example. If they are not going to get third parties, then maybe they should do it themselves. Or do you like that they have more or less gone down their own path?

Buy up a few devs and expand the studios and start making some more mature games.

And for nintendo's own sake I hope that their next (original) wii u zelda will not have cartoony graphics, the sales would be lower then.

They already have.