By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Just dumped close to 300 dvd cases- Could you part with your cases?

Suddenly, the special features and such of DVDs stopped mattering to me. I gave away shoeboxes full of DVD's to a co-worker back in 2012. I only kept certain ones like all of the Batman movies, my DC Comics animated films, The Matrix films, Star Wars, etc. Everything I own is stored on an HDD. I'm watching End of Watch right now.

I never felt like I would be happy with digital media for my music, movies, video games, etc. but now, only games take up storage space in my house and even that seems to be approaching the 50/50 mark. Well, maybe 70/30.

Around the Network

I dumped all my 200+ dvds and 300+ CDs.. i can access them all online and they just take too much space up.. My gf also asked me to get rid of my gamecube, ps1, dreamcast, ps2 games... which I did... kinda.. ended up bringing 300+ of them in boxes to my parents place and put them in their basement..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I dump my cases as soon as I open them :) I started it with the gamecube till this day. It felt wrong at first. But keeping them in licensed cd sleeves is so much nicer.. I had a huge collection of N64 game boxes that I thought would give me more money when I went to sell them. Once I found out it didn't I just looked at it like extra weight.

Good decision man.

I did, best decision ever.

Did you still have some of those old DVDs in cardboard? What did you do about those?

I myself couldn't, though I'm sad about how worthless they've become. :(

Around the Network

i used to love them but i'm growing to hate them. my CDs are in storage and i'm soo happy to have them out of my house. i'm moved to 100% digital with vita and contemplating 100% digital with next gen consoles.

for my dvd's if i could get them converted to an HDD and easily play them on my tv i would soo put them into storage.

I hate when people throw out their game boxes. It makes the value close to nothing, and I absolutly hate to see rare games like this.

SwansVanTerif said:
I hate when people throw out their game boxes. It makes the value close to nothing, and I absolutly hate to see rare games like this.

Agreed, for games, KEEP THE DAMN CASES!  DVD's, I wish I never bought any DVD's to begin with.

spurgeonryan said:
I have begun to wonder why I buy Dvds at all. To watch them a few times and then put them on a shelf for people to look at occasionally? For a collection?

Redbox is the way to go for me. I also realized that buying cheap on Amazon just means I will spend just as much in shipping. I think my days of buying movies is coming to an end. Do I need to buy games or is renting just as good? I rent any 360 games I play. Have been fine with it so far.

I would never throw them out. I like browsing through my movies, like listening to commentary tracks and watch behind the scenes footage. Looking at a wall full of movies on custom made shelves is much nicer then a hdd that could fail any day or a boring online catalog.

Doesn't Amazon have free shipping in the states? I always choose the supposedly slow free shipping and it's there in 2 days.

It's different for me for games. I threw out my pc game boxes a long time ago, way too much space all those old irregular sized big boxes. I did keep the jewel cases from inside the boxes but now I rather buy it again on gog.com instead of going through the trouble of installing them on windows 7.
This gen I have been trading in a lot of games since I'm pretty sure I'm never going to play them again, too much of a time investment.

With movies I never know when I feel like watching them again. I haven't decided yet what to do with all the dvd's I now also have on blu-ray. As long as I have space I'll keep them on the shelves. I'll probably store them in a box when I run out.

spurgeonryan said:
I still buy close to a dozen Vhs a month. So that is hindering my burning process as well.

I kept about 30 rare Dvds and my un-matched JCVD collection. If a game does not sell well, I would advise you keep the box, unless Game stop dumps the boxes. Then you just buy cheap.

where do you still find VHS? I haven't seen one since 2001

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)