By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What developer should nintendo buy?

IsawYoshi said:
Dodece said:
If recent history is any indicator buying big doesn't necessarily result in a good return on investment. Ideally they as in Nintendo should be looking for smaller developers that could fully pay for themselves in as little as two to three years. What Nintendo needs most of all are small developers that have demonstrated a vision that is not necessarily in line with what Nintendo traditionally offers to its audience. I would suggest the following.

Gearbox, Obsidian, Piranha Bytes, Splash Damage, and Telltale Games.

I would recommend these acquisitions to any Manufacturer. They have strong direction, future profit potential, and have a strong reputation with existing player bases. Nintendo could both make good money by acquiring one of these developers, and it would help to differentiate their current offerings.

Games sells systems though. Nintendo needs to sell systems, and a new iconic IP could help them. Someone like mistwalker would help nintendo get the japanese audience, and if they touched bethesda they would seal a lot of western fans. 

You are dealing in pure fantasy with these comments. Firstly Mistwalker isn't even a developer, but a co-developer. The only work they really do in house is story writing, and musical composition. The rest of the work they subcontract out to other developers. Mistwalker only creates ideas. They aren't the ones to make them into a reality. Secondly you are greatly exaggerating their importance in the Japanese market. The reality is that the studio brought two games to the 360 in Japan during a pretty bad drought as far as such games went, and it had no appreciable effect on the sales of the hardware. 

Bethesda on the other hand isn't even a independent studio. It is actually a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media, and Bethesda is their flagship studio. Not only are their single player games a hot commodity in the marketplace, but ZeniMax is placing a bet that the studios properties will translate extremely well into the massive multiplayer online space. It is a hard market to crack, but if they can manage to do that. In three to four years they would stand a good chance of having more then enough money to buy Nintendo out.

The company as a whole is probably worth a couple billion dollars as of right now, and once you factor in future earning potential. It could easily end up with a asking price of twice that or more. Nintendo has the cash on hand to make a go of it, but even the attempt could start a bidding war with other major players in the industry, and maybe outside of the industry. Yeah it is a straight up pipe dream.

I think you need to get reasonable about things, and give me list of developers another once over. Look into their games, and see what they have to offer up as profitable business ventures. Just look at the earning potential of Telltale games. They just made serious bank on The Walking Dead episodic games. They alone would probably bring Nintendo money, but they would probably also diversify the library on their platform. Which is what Nintendo desperately needs right now. Seeing as third parties aren't too keen on the idea of doing that for them.

Around the Network

Sega would go well if Nintendo I think.

Platinum, for sure.

If they were feeling crazy, buying Sega would be great for both Nintendo and Sega fans. Some Nintendo quality into those great Sega franchises would be amazing, I think.

If Nintendo bought a studio I think it'd have to be one that bolstered their games selection into genres Nintendo has traditionally not covered. I think everyone's already mentioned the main Japanese favourites, so maybe:

Obsidian: WRPG developer that could make fantastic games with a lil' Nintendo input

Insomniac: They may have a strong relationship with Sony, but they also have experience with multiple genres and have a strong history of console development.

Platinum Games

Around the Network

- CD Project RED
- Gearbox
- Rock Steady
- Capcom
- Square Enix (and teach them how to make good games again)
- Konami
- Platinum Games
- 4A Games (but it's a bit late)
- Codemasters