By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What developer should nintendo buy?

Dodece said:
If recent history is any indicator buying big doesn't necessarily result in a good return on investment. Ideally they as in Nintendo should be looking for smaller developers that could fully pay for themselves in as little as two to three years. What Nintendo needs most of all are small developers that have demonstrated a vision that is not necessarily in line with what Nintendo traditionally offers to its audience. I would suggest the following.

Gearbox, Obsidian, Piranha Bytes, Splash Damage, and Telltale Games.

I would recommend these acquisitions to any Manufacturer. They have strong direction, future profit potential, and have a strong reputation with existing player bases. Nintendo could both make good money by acquiring one of these developers, and it would help to differentiate their current offerings.

Games sells systems though. Nintendo needs to sell systems, and a new iconic IP could help them. Someone like mistwalker would help nintendo get the japanese audience, and if they touched bethesda they would seal a lot of western fans. 

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
Could've bought Bungie to fill their online FPS gap.

they would give them some more western games. You think they could have bought them, but they couldn't buy them now?

TheKingofRedLions said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Could've bought Bungie to fill their online FPS gap.

they would give them some more western games. You think they could have bought them, but they couldn't buy them now?

Well, Bungie talked about Destiny being part of a 'ten year vision' or something which translates in the real world as 'ten year contract with our new overlords Activision'.  

IsawYoshi said:

The reason that I don't think that it will be enough is that nintendo is going to continue to make mario games, that's just the way it is. The ead groups are going to be doing what they have been doing, making games in old franchises and a few new. The new MOAR dev's. Also: Image. If they could say that they bought bethesda they would get a lot more attention than if they said that they expanded ead.

@Bolded: That's what I was saying. If Nintendo just stopped making 20 Mario games per system and started to take more risks, expanding would be enough. Nobody is holding a gun to Iwata's head saying "make more Mario or I'll shoot" Nintendo isn't owned by anyone higher up. Nintendo might be limiting Retro if anything. Your saying that expanding won't work because Nintendo won't change. I'm saying Nintendo needs to change and buying another developer won't nessacerally do anything either because they will be under Nintendo just like Retro. 

Buying Bethesda would give Nintendo more attention just because it would be a big buy but it will still come down to games. Who's to say Nintendo can't make a WRPG on their own?

Mensrea said:
They shouldn't buy any studio, they should get some high quality talent, and build another western studio like they did with Retro. Retro is IMO the most talented developer Nintendo has, they need to use that same strategy to build another studio ALA retro.

Oh and buy Mistwalker just to get a hold on JRPG market.

EAD Tokyo?

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
Cold-Flipper said:

IsawYoshi said:

The reason that I don't think that it will be enough is that nintendo is going to continue to make mario games, that's just the way it is. The ead groups are going to be doing what they have been doing, making games in old franchises and a few new. The new MOAR dev's. Also: Image. If they could say that they bought bethesda they would get a lot more attention than if they said that they expanded ead.

@Bolded: That's what I was saying. If Nintendo just stopped making 20 Mario games per system and started to take more risks, expanding would be enough. Nobody is holding a gun to Iwata's head saying "make more Mario or I'll shoot" Nintendo isn't owned by anyone higher up. Nintendo might be limiting Retro if anything. Your saying that expanding won't work because Nintendo won't change. I'm saying Nintendo needs to change and buying another developer won't nessacerally do anything either because they will be under Nintendo just like Retro. 

Buying Bethesda would give Nintendo more attention just because it would be a big buy but it will still come down to games. Who's to say Nintendo can't make a WRPG on their own?

Yeah, sure, but nintendo is going to make 20 mario games per system. If they didn't they might have had enough, depending on what games they were to make. I still think that a mix would be the best thing to do. It would make them able to push out games like X faster, and it would make the gamers more interested again.  

IsawYoshi said:

Yeah, sure, but nintendo is going to make 20 mario games per system. If they didn't they might have had enough, depending on what games they were to make. I still think that a mix would be the best thing to do. It would make them able to push out games like X faster, and it would make the gamers more interested again.  

Again, why does Nintendo have to release 20 Mario's per system? Nobody is making them. The majority of Nintendo fans would much rather have a revival of Starfox, Wave Race, F-Zero and others. If Nintendo stopped making tons of Mario, it would be possible. You keep saying that Nintendo will always make tons of Mario and that's the problem. My point is, if Nintendo gave less attention to Mario, and gave more to other IP's they wouldn't need to spend money on buying developers. 

We have the same idea, just different ways to get it done. Your way keeps the annual Mario releases while working on other IP's too. My way cuts out some Mario games, while saving Nintendo money. Games like "X" would get done faster if Monolith hired more people. 

Level-5, since they have been most successful on Nintendo's handhelds.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Cold-Flipper said:
IsawYoshi said:

Again, why does Nintendo have to release 20 Mario's per system? Nobody is making them. The majority of Nintendo fans would much rather have a revival of Starfox, Wave Race, F-Zero and others. If Nintendo stopped making tons of Mario, it would be possible. You keep saying that Nintendo will always make tons of Mario and that's the problem. My point is, if Nintendo gave less attention to Mario, and gave more to other IP's they wouldn't need to spend money on buying developers. 

We have the same idea, just different ways to get it done. Your way keeps the annual Mario releases while working on other IP's too. My way cuts out some Mario games, while saving Nintendo money. Games like "X" would get done faster if Monolith hired more people. 

Oh, I don't want them to make all dem mario gamez, but they make money from it, so they will continue to do it. But is it enough. Here, look at the sales of mario tennis on 3ds: 0.67m.    http://www.vgchartz.com/game/63449/mario-tennis/ 

The last story: 0.49m.    http://www.vgchartz.com/game/42967/the-last-story/

Now think about how complex that game is compared to mario tennis. It probably costed a lot to make it.

As I say, do what you say, but also invest in developers. Then you can satisfy all people. Nintendo has enough money to do so, and they need to secure the future

Platinum games would be a great buy for Nintendo
I also think SEGA would be a pretty nifty purchase for any of the big 3

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)