By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats your favorite game of all time and why

Very consolecentric thread this one.
However mine would have to be Civ 4, nothing else gets close.

Honourable mentions are:
Medeval 2: Total War, Europa Universalis 2, Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday (yeah im a Paradox fan, not for everyone I know) and Dues Ex.

Funny really as I play consoles about 10 times more than PC's.

Zak and Wiki could well end up here though

<edit> sorry FF7 has to be up there as well. For the Materia more than the stary though

'You should try everything once in your life except incest, homosexuality and morris dancing' - Oscar Wylde (sort of)

Around the Network
Bursche said:
Earthbound. I grew up with this game and probably have beaten it over 20+ times. I dont have a Snes anymore, and emulators dont do the nostalgia justice so Im waiting for VC.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory: Although it is dying now, it is a great game that makes you play as a team. I have played it for like 4 or 5 years now and it never gets old with so many mods/maps and genuine balanced gameplay. I hate seeing it slowly die now though. I remember my clan used to have matches every saturday, every saturday, for 2 years straight.

Why would VC (which uses emulators anyway) have more nostalgic value than any other emulator?

As for my favourite game, I really don't know. I've probably finished 400-500 games in my time and I can't think of a single one which stands out far above the rest.

Probably Diablo 2 for Mac, i clocked a ridiculous amount of hours on that game, but for multiplayer action its gotta be Melee. But then theres UT04 which i go seriously addicted to a few months back.

melee !

Go. The purest strategy game created so far. Chess is a solid second. RTS games like Age of Empires and Starcraft are a distant third.

Around the Network
fkusumot said:

Go. The purest strategy game created so far. Chess is a solid second. RTS games like Age of Empires and Starcraft are a distant third.

This is absolutely, unquestionably the correct answer. Anyone who answers otherwise is wrong, and will be shot.

I prefer Chess to Go, but they're both at the top and I wouldn't be picky either way.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
^Chess Master?

I think you have the most unique gaming taste on the site, even more so than mine.

Loving Chess is unique? You and I run in different circles :p

Also, <3 weezy

It is when you put it as your favorite videogame. 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

super mario RPG. it's because I'm probably one of the only English people to have owned this game and it made me really appreciate how great the game was

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever made. No experience can ever compare to playing it for the first time. With a large, beautiful world, great levels, and excellent controls, this game defines greatness. No other game I have played even comes close to this one. This game is perfection. This game alone is a good enough reason to own a Nintendo 64.

I think that pretty much summed it up...

Super Mario Galaxy is the second greatest game ever made. No experience can ever compare to playing it for the first time (except for OoT). With heaps of small, beautiful worlds, great levels, and excellent controls, this game defines greatness. Only one other game I have played comes close to this one (the other one is actually better). This game is perfection. This game alone is a good enough reason to own a Wii.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

My elections would be:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time: no need to explain...

Super Metroid: Best 2D game ever by far, the swan song of the 16 bit era

Final Fantasy VII: Tough VI is far a better game, it marked the beginning of a new era.

If I had to rank them, the order will probably be:
1 Ocarina
2 Super Metroid
3 FF VII

The reason for this is that, while the 3 are total masterpieces, FFVII had not aged as good as Zelda or Metroid, it looks totally dated nowadays, while Zelda is still a blast to play (Im talking about gameplay here)

Wii60+DS owner

Long Time Nintendo loyalist