By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Joe Flacco's HUGE contract, is he overpaid?

Flacco is

getting paid what he deserves 8 17.39%

getting overpaid for his short term success 22 47.83%

not even a top ten quarterback 16 34.78%

Total:46
RolStoppable said:
Flacco had a really great run in the playoffs and won the Super Bowl, this allowed him to get leverage for a new contract. The NFL isn't blessed with outstanding QBs, so there are quite a few teams who would kill for a QB like Flacco. The Ravens pay him good money, so that he doesn't even consider leaving for another team.

Flacco is overpaid, but he is still young and not prone to injuries, so it's not that bad of a deal for the Ravens. I guess they were willing to pay that much, because it will keep their good offense intact while they are looking to adjust their defense due to Ray Lewis's departure.

Of course, if Flacco suddenly starts to suck, his salary will be a huge burden for the team. I don't see it happening though, because he has been consistent in his career.

The problem with this deal is that it pretty much guarantees they will not be able to keep their offense intact.  They are going to have to cut at least one of their wide receivers because of this deal.  My guess is Anquan Boldin is going to get cut because his cap number is $7.5 million dollars next year and he is turning 33.  Unfortunately, he also lead the team in receptions and yards.  That will hurt.

The Ravens were inbetween a rock and a hard place.  You either sign him for a bunch of money he doesn't deserve and will hurt your team in the cap, or you let him walk to free agency where somone else will bid for him and you have no good replacement available.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Munkeh111 said:

But does he not feel selfish demanding twice the money (on average) as the next best paid player?

And surely, with an average quaterback, but a good line, good receivers and a good running game you can succeed?

I think it's in the nature of most top athletes that they don't consider themselves selfish, but rather deserving of everything they get and more.

You would need an excellent defense on top of the things you mentioned in order to succeed. Keeping the opponent's score low is essential, because if the team trails, you need to rely more on the passing game. An average quarterback is prone to interceptions which are extremely costly in American football due to how possession of the ball is handled. Now when you add up how many good to great players a team needs to compensate for an average player on the quarterback position, it becomes clear why teams are willing to give a single player such a high salary.

True I guess, but Flacco isn't good enough to hold the team together without the other parts, though I guess he is the best they can get

mrstickball said:
Baltimore will never get back to the SB thanks to this contract.

He's just not that great. He has a great supporting cast, and can be clutch. However, when he's soaking up a huge percentage of the salary cap, how are they going to surround a good (but not great) QB with good talent?

I'm curious as to how you come to that conclusion when:

1. By all accounts, his deal is back-loaded, meaning that the cap hit for it won't be severe in the next couple of years. Meaning with a couple of extentions/restructures, yes, we could absolutely keep guys like Leach, Boldin and Jones.

2. The cap up sit to go up siginifcantly by 2014/15, and the Ravens may very well wind up restructuring Flacco's deal to make it work in the future. Either way, it's not going to be that world ending.

3. Even excluding the notion of future draft picks, the Ravens already have a strong nuclear of young guys on the offense that are going to be around for awhile, including but not limited to: Ray Rice, Torrey Smith, Bernard Pierce, Kelichi Osemele, Marshal Yanda, Dennis Pitta, (also most likely) Ed Dickson, and young receivers already on the roster like LaQuan Williams, Tandon Doss, David Reed, and Deonte Thompson.

The Defense is also obviosuly going to restock in the next couple drafts, and furthermore, as I said previously, top playters like Ngata, Suggs, McClain and Webb will all be back and healthy next season, meaning the D will be better than it was during much of the regular season in 2012.

So with a new (see: better) OC and offenseive system in place, with a full offseason to fully get rid of the crappy Cameron offense (finally), and such a good nucleus of young talent on both sides of the ball, I really fail to see how the Ravens are "never going to get back to another SB" with Flacco. Flacco may seem "just not that great" to some people, compared to other guys who have put up prettier stats, but, the one stat that matters most, WINS, he produces on a regular basis more than any other QB in the league in the last half-decade. Does he "win by himself"? Hell no. But no QB does. EVERY successful QB has a talented supporting cast around them, hence why they're successful. American Football is a team sport more than any other for a reason.

So I'm not saying that the Ravens for a fact WILL win another SB in the next few years under Flacco, but I'd sure give them a hell of a lot better chance than most teams.