By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Joe Flacco's HUGE contract, is he overpaid?

Flacco is

getting paid what he deserves 8 17.39%

getting overpaid for his short term success 22 47.83%

not even a top ten quarterback 16 34.78%

Total:46

Flacco is being overpaid. i think he's a top 10 QB. just number 10 though.

top 5 in no order.
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Eli
Payton

top 10 in order
Matt Ryan
J. Cuttler
Matt Schaub
Russell Wilson (i know first season but he put on a clinic)
Flacco

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

top 5 in no order.
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Eli
Payton

top 10 in order
Matt Ryan
J. Cuttler
Matt Schaub
Flacco

I'd put Matthew Stafford up there.  Even though his tds/int ratio wasn't as impressive as the previous year he still threw for 4,976 yards without much help outside of Megatron.

mtu9356 said:
firelink said:
Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Eli, Ben and Drew - these guys can single handedly carry their team. When the Ravens are in a rut, Flacco just heaves the ball. You never see him throw a sharp ball into triple coverage. You never see him throw many slants, passes to slot receivers, barely catchable side-line drives. Ask Flacco to make the pass to Holmes in the Steelers vs Cardinals Super Bowl. He wouldn't be able to.

What he can do? Barely make passes. He has one of the worst completion percentages in the league, not an "average" one. He consistently fumbles when under pressure. He consistently makes bad throws under pressure. In the playoffs alone this season, he threw the ball badly 7 or 8 times right at the opposing player, but for some reason CBs and safeties can no longer catch. If Torey Smith and Boldin weren't there to bail out Flacco's heave-and-pray attempts, the Ravens would have been done in Denver.

Give credit to the guys working around him. There are QBs who have to carry most of their offense, and they do it well. The Ravens's offense has to carry Flacco, and you can tell any time Smith and Boldin are adequetely covered. Those are the games Flacco has some of the worst ratings in history in.

I wondered if I was the only one.  During the playoffs the announcers constantly praised Flaccos long ball as being the best in the league, but all I saw him do was heave the balls deep.  He just doesn't have the power some of the others have.

The announcers during the Superbowl were laughably bad, they kept saying that Kaepernick had an elite arm.  Seriously, I was like get off this guys d**k.

Sorry folks, but you obviously weren't actually watching the playoffs then. Because he made a LOT of clutch mid-range passes to Boldin, Smith and Pitta.

And as for "all he can do is heave balls"....that's funny, because his deep passes seem to more often than not be on the mark. Seems to me that's called "accuracy". He also threw into mutliple coverage, in the red zone, AND to Boldin on mid-range passes for clutch first downs.......

He may not be Drew Brees (who I've long been a fan of and believe is THE best QB playing today). But the degree to which some of you are selling him short is absoltuley absurd. It's funny that I hear this bullshit about "Oh Flacco would be nothing without his receivers making catches". Like............fucking DUH? You could say the exact same thing about Brady, Brees, Rogers, Manning, or ANY other great QB in American football history. Yes, a QB needs great WRs to make great plays on the passes they throw. I would have thought that was common logic. But the fact that he threw 11 TDS (would have been 12 if not for uncalled blatant PI on Torrey Smith in the second quarter of the SB), and ZERO INTs, againt some pretty good defenses this past post-season. No, he didn't "Win all by himself", but neither did any of those other guys any of you just mentioned. Drew Brees doesn't "carry a team all by himself". It takes his Oline giving him time to pass, his receivers actually MAKING catches, etc. And quite frankly, in Cam Cameron's vanilla offense, it's no wonder he didn't put up 4000+ yds. and make a Pro Bowl.

But really, he's got the only stat that truly matters. He wins. He's won more playoff games (or for that matter BEEN to more) than Brees, Rogers, Ryan, Romo, Cutler, Rivers, or Schaub. There is no way that Matt Ryan is a better QB than Flacco. He operates in a pass first offense, especially this past season. Flacco actually has a run game and Baltimore runs a balanced offense. Ryan has won ONE playoff game, and only barely. Flacco has won in the post season every year of his career, and he's done something that some of those guys likely never will, won a SB. And to try and pretend that that playoff run had little to do with Flacco, is pretty absurd. He has played well in the playoffs the past three years in fact, and if not for a dropped pass by Lee Evans, this might've been the second SB he'd won in as many years. Just saying.

I really don't get the point of hating on how much Flacco is getting paid. It's the ridiculous nature of the beast. He won't be the "highest paid" for very long, and the number will keep going up and up and up. That's just today's NFL, like it or not. But Flacco is a winner, much more so than some of the QBs some of you guys have claimed are "better" than he is. And he will continue to be a winner. That's all you, as a fan, could ask for.

mtu9356 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

top 5 in no order.
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Eli
Payton

top 10 in order
Matt Ryan
J. Cuttler
Matt Schaub
Flacco

I'd put Matthew Stafford up there.  Even though his tds/int ratio wasn't as impressive as the previous year he still threw for 4,976 yards without much help outside of Megatron.

so take Flacco out and put Staford at 10. hmmmm. i felt bad for the lions this season. they need to get Staford some help out their. i felt bad for Matt cassel to.

i'm a fan of 4 out of the 10 teams in that list. 2 top 5's and 2 top 10's.

While Joe Flacco is the only QB in the history of the league to win playoff games in each of his first 5 seasons, and just won the Super Bowl, I don't think he's even close to worth that much money. His statistics are quite average in the regular season, and he was seen as holding back the Ravens as recently as a couple months ago. If you're the highest paid QB in the league, you shouldn't be seen as a weakness in your team. If Raheem Moore doesn't horrendously misplay a hail mary in the divisional game, I doubt Joe Flacco would've gotten anything better than the franchise tag. Also, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger both won multiple Super Bowls, but neither became the highest paid QB in the league after winning their Super Bowls. So no, he's not worth it.

Human contact, the final frontier.

Around the Network

He is a bit overpaid but is still miles better then the bum that plays a few miles from where I live Tony Romo.

DevilRising said:
mtu9356 said:
firelink said:
Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Eli, Ben and Drew - these guys can single handedly carry their team. When the Ravens are in a rut, Flacco just heaves the ball. You never see him throw a sharp ball into triple coverage. You never see him throw many slants, passes to slot receivers, barely catchable side-line drives. Ask Flacco to make the pass to Holmes in the Steelers vs Cardinals Super Bowl. He wouldn't be able to.

What he can do? Barely make passes. He has one of the worst completion percentages in the league, not an "average" one. He consistently fumbles when under pressure. He consistently makes bad throws under pressure. In the playoffs alone this season, he threw the ball badly 7 or 8 times right at the opposing player, but for some reason CBs and safeties can no longer catch. If Torey Smith and Boldin weren't there to bail out Flacco's heave-and-pray attempts, the Ravens would have been done in Denver.

Give credit to the guys working around him. There are QBs who have to carry most of their offense, and they do it well. The Ravens's offense has to carry Flacco, and you can tell any time Smith and Boldin are adequetely covered. Those are the games Flacco has some of the worst ratings in history in.

I wondered if I was the only one.  During the playoffs the announcers constantly praised Flaccos long ball as being the best in the league, but all I saw him do was heave the balls deep.  He just doesn't have the power some of the others have.

The announcers during the Superbowl were laughably bad, they kept saying that Kaepernick had an elite arm.  Seriously, I was like get off this guys d**k.

Sorry folks, but you obviously weren't actually watching the playoffs then. Because he made a LOT of clutch mid-range passes to Boldin, Smith and Pitta.

And as for "all he can do is heave balls"....that's funny, because his deep passes seem to more often than not be on the mark. Seems to me that's called "accuracy". He also threw into mutliple coverage, in the red zone, AND to Boldin on mid-range passes for clutch first downs.......

He may not be Drew Brees (who I've long been a fan of and believe is THE best QB playing today). But the degree to which some of you are selling him short is absoltuley absurd. It's funny that I hear this bullshit about "Oh Flacco would be nothing without his receivers making catches". Like............fucking DUH? You could say the exact same thing about Brady, Brees, Rogers, Manning, or ANY other great QB in American football history. Yes, a QB needs great WRs to make great plays on the passes they throw. I would have thought that was common logic. But the fact that he threw 11 TDS (would have been 12 if not for uncalled blatant PI on Torrey Smith in the second quarter of the SB), and ZERO INTs, againt some pretty good defenses this past post-season. No, he didn't "Win all by himself", but neither did any of those other guys any of you just mentioned. Drew Brees doesn't "carry a team all by himself". It takes his Oline giving him time to pass, his receivers actually MAKING catches, etc. And quite frankly, in Cam Cameron's vanilla offense, it's no wonder he didn't put up 4000+ yds. and make a Pro Bowl.

But really, he's got the only stat that truly matters. He wins. He's won more playoff games (or for that matter BEEN to more) than Brees, Rogers, Ryan, Romo, Cutler, Rivers, or Schaub. There is no way that Matt Ryan is a better QB than Flacco. He operates in a pass first offense, especially this past season. Flacco actually has a run game and Baltimore runs a balanced offense. Ryan has won ONE playoff game, and only barely. Flacco has won in the post season every year of his career, and he's done something that some of those guys likely never will, won a SB. And to try and pretend that that playoff run had little to do with Flacco, is pretty absurd. He has played well in the playoffs the past three years in fact, and if not for a dropped pass by Lee Evans, this might've been the second SB he'd won in as many years. Just saying.

I really don't get the point of hating on how much Flacco is getting paid. It's the ridiculous nature of the beast. He won't be the "highest paid" for very long, and the number will keep going up and up and up. That's just today's NFL, like it or not. But Flacco is a winner, much more so than some of the QBs some of you guys have claimed are "better" than he is. And he will continue to be a winner. That's all you, as a fan, could ask for.

Having a more balanced attack should actually help a quarterback completion % and passer rating (could also lower the passing yards and tds though).  Play action pass can really help a qb out ask Kaepernick/Alex Smith.  It really keeps the defense on edge not knowing what to expect.  Flacco also had the ability to dish it to a top 5 back in Ray Rice which is a huge bonus not many have. He had 61 receptions last season and 76 the year before.

Chris Hu said:
He is a bit overpaid but is still miles better then the bum that plays a few miles from where I live Tony Romo.

LOL, agreed.  He's one of the least clutch quarterbacks of all time.

Baltimore will never get back to the SB thanks to this contract.

He's just not that great. He has a great supporting cast, and can be clutch. However, when he's soaking up a huge percentage of the salary cap, how are they going to surround a good (but not great) QB with good talent?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

the_lonely_gamer_123 said:
While Joe Flacco is the only QB in the history of the league to win playoff games in each of his first 5 seasons, and just won the Super Bowl, I don't think he's even close to worth that much money. His statistics are quite average in the regular season, and he was seen as holding back the Ravens as recently as a couple months ago. If you're the highest paid QB in the league, you shouldn't be seen as a weakness in your team. If Raheem Moore doesn't horrendously misplay a hail mary in the divisional game, I doubt Joe Flacco would've gotten anything better than the franchise tag. Also, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger both won multiple Super Bowls, but neither became the highest paid QB in the league after winning their Super Bowls. So no, he's not worth it.

this but mainly this

just thought i'd mention Sanchez QB rating is a 66.6, and Tebows rating is 84.9