By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real reason why 3rd party games do not sell well on Nintendo hardware

mrstickball said:
Very wrong.

Let's take the Wii for example - using Metacritic's top scores for 3rd party Wii games:

Rock Band 2 - 1.00 Million Units Sold
Xenoblade Chronicles - 0.83 Million Units Sold
Rayman Origins - 0.42 Million Units Sold
Resident Evil 4 Wii - 2.13 Million Units Sold
Okami - 0.52 Million Units Sold

Those are the top 5, 3rd party games on the Wii. Two were over 1 million units. That's absolutely horrendous for games that have a >90 Metacritic score.

You can defend it all you want, but even the fantastic Wii titles like Xenoblade have pitiful sales worldwide. Had Xenoblade been an HD affair, it would have likely sold 3-4 times as many copies, worldwide.

The Wii/WiiU caters towards a specific crowd. That specific crowd does not buy large amounts of non-Nintendo core titles. Comparatively, the 3DS/DS appeal to almost everyone, and 3rd party sales are generally better among top-tier titles.

not really interested in partaking in this ridiculous debate b ut serious why the hell do people still think xenoblade is a third party game? when the studio that made it is owned by nintendo and was published and funded 100% by nintendo?

Around the Network
cyberninja45 said:

For the uninformed let me enlighten you, it is a well established fact that nintendo games are some of the highest rated and acclaimed games in the industry and they are some of the highest selling also. If you cannot figure it out by now the correlation between high rated and high selling isn't a mere coincidence. 

But what about ps360 owners who buy alot of these games?

So then why do third party games sell well on Nintendo handhelds?

By your logic, Nintendo handheld games are average then.......but a lot of handheld games are ports/remakes of console games. So does that mean that the Nintendo console games are average too?

----

What about gamers who own multiple consoles? I own a Wii, a 360, and I plan to buy a PS3. Why am I not picking up No More Heros for Wii, but instead playing Fallout?

----

What about Games like Grand Theft Auto, Uncharted and Mass Effect? Uncharted has recieved higher review scores then Zelda, and same with Mass Effect and GTA. Do they not count? Are you omitting these games when you say Nintendo is best?

----

Fail

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

NightDragon83 said:
1: Nintendo games are always the best sellers on Nintendo consoles, though there are some exceptions.

2: Ever since the N64 days 3rd parties have halfheartedly supported Nintendo consoles, and many of the biggest 3rd party titles have been left off Nintendo consoles altogether during this time like MGS and GTA for example. And yes, I know MGS appeared on the GC as a port/remake of the first MGS, and GTA appeared on DS in Chinatown wars... not the same thing as having a flagship game in the series launch on a Nintendo console.

3: Nintendo themselves. Unlike Sony or M$ who have no problem sharing the spotlight with major 3rd parties and their software, Nintendo does not actively push or advertise major 3rd party games on their consoles. Sure, occasionally they'll throw gamers a bone like "rescuing" Bayonetta 2 from certain doom, and actually signing a deal for some exclusive 3rd party games like they did with Capcom during the GC era (most of which were promptly ported to PS2).

4: Nintendo's audience. This also ties in with #2, because while SEGA, Sony and M$ have all gone for older gamers, Nintendo has always targeted younger gamers and families. Not a bad thing back in the NES/SNES days, but a terrible business decision in today's market with the majority of gamers in their 20s and 30s and who constantly crave cutting edge technology and new and challenging gameplay experiences rather than the same-old that Nintendo continues to offer on their consoles.

So basically there's only one reason that 3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo hardware... and that reason is Nintendo.

1. This goes with my point that most nintendo games are high quality games.

2. This is the same as my point that most 3rd party games are either terrible or cash grabs.

3. Because MS and Sony need the 3rd party games to sell their consoles so they will promote them on alot, ps360 would not sell on 1st party alone.

4. Yes nintendo does cater to a wider audience.But do you think the gamers that buy metroid, zelda and xenoblade are children 7 and under or families?

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

hunter_alien said:
No... the quality of Nintendo 1st party is subjective, so your argument falls flat.
The truth is that the established 3rd party fanbase is nowhere to be found on Nintendo consoles. Since the SNES they never had a stable 3rd party relationship, and that is the bigger truth. The quality of AAA 3rd party games is more than enough to rival and even surpass Nintendo. I think myself and the majority of gamers agree on this one

Quality maybe subjective to an extent. But are you honestly telling that most nintendo games are not highly rated?

Yes there are some very high quality 3rd party games, most of them just don't grace nintendo platforms.

Degausser said:
How did Mario Party 8 sell nearly 8m copies then?

Although Mario party maybe not the type of games traditonal gamers play, for what it tries to be it is a very good party game. Although I only played the first few on N64 so I do not know how the quality is now.

Around the Network
cyberninja45 said:

This is a no apologizes thread on why most 3rd party games do not sell well on nintendo platforms from a true gamer.

To put it simply most 3rd party games are just plain terribly made or just cash grabs from publishers. I will use Call of Duty as an example, why the hell would any real gamer buy the same game every year it just makes no sense, COD is total cash grab from activision ever since after MW. Most true gamers realize this,unfortunately not enough, and stay away from the franchise, I myself was a huge COD fan up until MW 2 then I realized "Ok this franchise has reached it limits for me".

But what does that have to do with nintendo gamers?

For the uninformed let me enlighten you, it is a well established fact that nintendo games are some of the highest rated and acclaimed games in the industry and they are some of the highest selling also. If you cannot figure it out by now the correlation between high rated and high selling isn't a mere coincidence. Unlike what you may have been led to believe from the internet most  true gamers in the real world seek out the best games for their money so naturally they seek nintendo games, and if you are accustomed to playing games made by nintendo you won't spend your money on Cash-ins or Terrible games its as simple as that.

Simple they do not have or play  nintendo games so they don't know any better.

But what about the wiiU its selling terrible even nintendo big franchise like NSMBU cannot keep the sales momentum?

As I already said unlike what the internet may make you believe  most true gamers do not buy cash-ins and yes NSMBU is a cash-in by nintendo

Translation: I'm an elite gamer. I know real games while the rest of you suckers don't. If you don't like the kind of games I like, you suck and deserve to play your terrible games because you don't know what "real" gaming is as defined by me.

Is that it?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

mrstickball said:
Very wrong.

Let's take the Wii for example - using Metacritic's top scores for 3rd party Wii games:

Rock Band 2 - 1.00 Million Units Sold
Xenoblade Chronicles - 0.83 Million Units Sold
Rayman Origins - 0.42 Million Units Sold
Resident Evil 4 Wii - 2.13 Million Units Sold
Okami - 0.52 Million Units Sold

Xenoblade is a 1ST PARTY TITLE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Soft

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Very rarely have I ever bought a third-party game on any of my Nintendo consoles.

The rare exceptions would be Mortal Kombat Ultimate 3 on SNES, RUSH 2 on N64, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on GameCube, and I think I bought maybe one or two for Wii but I honestly can't remember what it may have been. It's possible all of my Wii software is first/second-party only.

But suffice it to say, from the people I know that are Nintendo fans, since the PSone era through to the present day, and especially since GameCube, most Nintendo fans that want a third-party game will tend to buy a PS or Xbox to play it on.

Just the nature of the beast. Nintendo consoles are amazing because Nintendo creates amazing games that you can only get on their systems, but it's a blessing and a curse. It's very difficult to justify buying Call of Duty when there is a new Zelda, Smash Bros, or 3D Mario out. I will always opt for the Nintendo sequels.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Pristine20 said:
cyberninja45 said:

This is a no apologizes thread on why most 3rd party games do not sell well on nintendo platforms from a true gamer.

To put it simply most 3rd party games are just plain terribly made or just cash grabs from publishers. I will use Call of Duty as an example, why the hell would any real gamer buy the same game every year it just makes no sense, COD is total cash grab from activision ever since after MW. Most true gamers realize this,unfortunately not enough, and stay away from the franchise, I myself was a huge COD fan up until MW 2 then I realized "Ok this franchise has reached it limits for me".

But what does that have to do with nintendo gamers?

For the uninformed let me enlighten you, it is a well established fact that nintendo games are some of the highest rated and acclaimed games in the industry and they are some of the highest selling also. If you cannot figure it out by now the correlation between high rated and high selling isn't a mere coincidence. Unlike what you may have been led to believe from the internet most  true gamers in the real world seek out the best games for their money so naturally they seek nintendo games, and if you are accustomed to playing games made by nintendo you won't spend your money on Cash-ins or Terrible games its as simple as that.

Simple they do not have or play  nintendo games so they don't know any better.

But what about the wiiU its selling terrible even nintendo big franchise like NSMBU cannot keep the sales momentum?

As I already said unlike what the internet may make you believe  most true gamers do not buy cash-ins and yes NSMBU is a cash-in by nintendo

Translation: I'm an elite gamer. I know real games while the rest of you suckers don't. If you don't like the kind of games I like, you suck and deserve to play your terrible games because you don't know what "real" gaming is as defined by me.

Is that it?

Why does it annoy other people that 3rd parties do not sell well on Nintendo systems anyways? Unless you're affiliated with the 3rd party, I'd say you're just looking for shit to fling.

On a side note, people who come from other platforms saying how Nintendo users should purchase 3rd party games is as obnoxious as an American going to India and saying "Why don't you eat hotdogs here?"

OdinHades said:
Glorious Nintendo Master Race?

If you ask me, Sony First Party titles nowadays are much better than what Nintendo has to offer. But that's just me. And since I'm not a Nintendo gamer, I have obviously no clue at all, because all Nintendo gamers are true gamers, the only ones who know what makes a good game... or... somethin'...

At least that's about what I get from the OP... :

Well in this gen I have played most 1st party offerings from both Sony and Nintendo and in my opinion nintendo was better, except from a graphical standpoint obviously.

Its like how I once explained it to someone:-  If you have someone that drives a BMW only and they told you this car handles the best out all the luxury cars, then you have another person who drives a Mercedes, Audi and the exact same BMW the other one drove and they said the mercedes drives the best,  although each person will have their preference whose word would you take?