By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Activision Upset at Black Ops II Wii U Sales, Says Nintendo Fans Are All Talk

SuperMarioWorld said:
I'm the biggest Nintendo and COD fan ever and I didn't even buy BO2 on Wii U. I usually play COD at night and I figured I wouldn't find any good online games after 9pm with the 800+ or so Wii U players online at one time. Also all my m8s I party up with in COD are on Xbox so I would have to be playing solo and that's really not my style.

You will always find games anytime. The community is small but not so small that you will never find games. Certain game modes are hard to get matches but all i do is post to miiverse and i usually get a few people to play with me. Its also the best version if you really do play at night. I lay down in my bed and play on the controller until i fall asleep most times.

Around the Network

I'm curious, I'm on BO2 right now on PS3 and there are 370,719 players online, can anyone with a Wii U post how many are on right now for them?

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

I think some Nintendo fans are under the mistaken impression that they are legion. The Wii was an anomaly, and not the beginning of a new trend. Nintendo is far more likely to return to its more consistent trend. Which is that the fan base of the platform shrinks by an appreciable margin. From the Original to the Super Nintendo saw a twenty percent decrease in users. From the Super to the 64 Nintendo saw a thirty three percent decrease in users. From the 64 to the Cube Nintendo saw another thirty three percent decrease in users. So if that trend continues, and we say that it is by thirty three percent again.

Then the logical conclusion is that the Wii U could end up selling all of fourteen million units, and that would pretty much end this debate once and for all, because third parties would abandon the platform long before Nintendo may be able to eek out those sales, and they wouldn't be coming back. Even if Nintendo announced that it planned to put out another console. I know this may come as somewhat of a revelation, but without third party support Nintendo is not enough of a presence in itself to force retailers to carry their consoles. Retailers just aren't going to carry any kind of console that is going to get a average of a couple games a month at most.

Whether you want to admit it to yourselves or not. Console brands do in fact go extinct. These off the cuff remarks about who needs third parties. Are a spectacular display or arrogance, and pure self indulgence. Who needs third party developers. Well you do if you want to see Nintendo hanging around through this generation, and maybe even making a appearance next generation. The math is pretty simple really. No third parties equals no Nintendo console. Nintendo has been shedding core players for a very long time, and those losses need to be redressed, and the only way that is going to happen is if the platform is viable for a wider audience.

The only way that is going to happen is if third parties find a strong market for their goods on the console, and for that to happen current owners need to start supporting them in earnest. The excuses are getting pretty damn thin now. There are a lot of games that aren't perfect on the other two consoles that still manage to sell well enough. A game not being perfect or preferential just isn't any kind of excuse. If you want fantastic games, or a fantastic level of support from third parties. Whining about it isn't going to get the job done. You are going to have to earn them, and that means buying their okay or good games in enough quantities to make them feel safe about putting forward the effort.

You shouldn't have to do these things. Nintendo should be the ones making this happen. If developers aren't giving them a fair hearing. Then maybe they need to finance some third party blockbusters. Microsoft has had to do it, and Sony has had to do it too. With as much cash as Nintendo has in the bank it would hardly be a any kind of supreme financial burden for them, but I think we all know that Nintendo doesn't work like that. So that just leaves in up to you the fans.

Buying good games, even if they are delayed, and even if they aren't optimized for the platform. Is just something that needs to start happening, and it needed to start happening two months ago. I don't know if the rumor is true, but doesn't it tell some of you something. When nobody. Not even the most dedicated fans are having a hard time believing that it is most likely true. This is the tipping point right here. Nintendo isn't doing so hot selling consoles right now, and that might as well be blood in shark infested waters. Developers are already skittish about the brand, but given the current economy, and now these flagging sales.

Dodece said:
[Wii U could sell 14 million units]

Hahahahahahaha. Sorry, couldn't make it past that part.

No online community, no console market share, no sales.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

The game isn't exactly gimped. Just some frame rate issues in first story and some jaggies. This is due to the game being rushed out, however overall it is very acceptable and I am happy Activision provided this port to Wii U.

Overall the multiplayer element of the game is miles ahead of the single player mode.

My mate has flown in this week and we been playing COD multiplayer, me on screen and him on TV (as I am used to the game already) and its been a blast playing like this not knowing where we are by peaking on split screen.

Im sure sale will pickup later. But activision shouldn't expect the same sales of cod as the 360 or ps3 versions

@cobretti2: thats a really good selling point. nintendo should have marketed it.

@dodece: i read your whole msg and agree. hopefully these kinds of rumors, posts, articles will change what needs changing. C'mon ninties lets buy some games!

I don't believe this article anyway but of course nintendo fans are gonna buy nintendo games over cod (or other 3rd party games) when released at the same time and I'll wager the average consumer could only afford one or two games at launch. Not everybody's rich ffs. I think they (activision) shouldn't give up based on one game, but they probably will (but like I said, I don't think this article is true anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised if all of this was true. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Black Ops 2 sold horrifically bad on wiiu.

Once again, more BAD news for nintendo. Good luck at E3....