By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720: EA & Microsoft to announce exclusivity deal at April reveal – rumour

Veknoid_Outcast said:
D-Joe said:
Hynad said:

Veknoid_Outcast said:
[...]

It makes more sence for MS to doing both,and they will.

It's even worse you already read the news but still reply something like this.

Why does it make it worse? I stated that Microsoft would be better served to invest in first-party software. I did not state that it will NOT invest in first-party software. I fail to see the problem.

Well, as a gamer, we are better served by having more first party games. A deal with EA is the strongest possible business arrangement. Games are expensive to develop and take time. If for the cost of developing a few AAA exclusives, MS can lock up the biggest publisher on earth, it's a no-brainer. Let's face it, AAAs are nice, but even an underwhelming CoD installment will easily outsell a critically acclaimed new IP by an order of magnitude.

Around the Network

From the actual CVG article: "Due to the necessities of multiplatform development and publishing, it is likely that such a partnership will not extend beyond exclusive downloadable content, or staggered release dates. An outright exclusive EA game on the Next Xbox would be unlikely, and certainly a major coup for Microsoft if such a deal were to be secured."

Rob Crossley is denying on Twitter that he has even heard any talk about exclusivity of games.

I hope its true and both fail

007BondAgent said:
D-Joe said:
zhao3gold said:
Microsoft, could you please stop this fucking timed-exclusive deal? As a Xbox fan, I want to see the real exclusive games only availabe on your console.

I know,Sony announce exclusive DLC of Destiny is okay but Microsoft can't do that,right.

difference between 1 game, and money hatting an entire compny

Sony money hatted entire studio's to win the Bluray/HD-DVD format war so they can hardly cry about it being done back to them.

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:
C'mon, EA is not that dumb.

Actually accepting huge money bags from Microsoft makes a lot of sense for EA. 

Neither the PS4/720 will have huge userbases this fall (more precisely 0 to start with), so it's not such a big deal to them for at least the first months if all EA fans are channelled into one platform (the 720) instead of the two.

It's not like the PS4 is the PS3 where it has 70 million users that EA would be ignoring, this is ignoring maybe a userbase of 4-5 million for the first few months ... not even ignoring really, if it's about staggered exclusives. 

QFT

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

I would expect MS to do something to get some exclusive content. If you look back to the XBox360 launch, Bioware and Mistwalker were studios that helped to round out the games lineup with some rpg/adventure titles. Those studios are no longer XBox exclusives. If Gears of War goes multiplat, there is little left besides Halo, Forza and Fable (which isn't at its high point). Getting an exclusive agreement for Bioware's next game could fit well with XBox's existing fan base.

However, as has been said already, expecting EA to go XBox exclusive is a bit much. Especially the sports games. FIFA, the NFL, they demand their brand reach as many customers as possible. Titles like Battlefield, too, don't make sense. MS would really have to pay EA all of the revenue it would have gotten from other versions. It really would make more sense for MS to look into buying EA.

ironmanDX said:
pokoko said:
Truly exclusive games are out of the question, of course. There is no way Microsoft is going to given EA enough money to cover revenue lost from not releasing PS4 versions.

They could just buy EA?!?

Exclusives aren't out of the question if they're new IP's. Games like FIFA are way out of the question though. I'm not sure why people are surprised, it's a typical M$ move and they've done it before and will do it again. EA aren't stupid, they'd have some form of compensation in the deal. Not to mention if it is timed exclusive for next gen only they really wouldn't lose money because no body owns a ps4! If they could sell %70 of the games and get a massive amount of compensation, they'd come out in front. It is a business after all.Microsoft sells more consoles, they sell the same amount of games (eventually) and get a massive amount of money too?

Stupid move if you, yourself are in fact stupid.

Hold on a moment.  What's with that last line?  Is that a personal insult over a videogame discussion?  Never mind that it doesn't actually make any sense, but was it really called for?

Go ahead, though, and believe that EA is going to invest millions into a new IP and half it's value by making it an exclusive.

D-Joe said:
Hynad said:
D-Joe said:

They did not have more studios than Sony for this gen,that's why they created many studios for next gen.

Yes, they've had more studios than Sony. And they still do. Yet, they pumped way less content than their competitors.

At least, try wikipedia before replying. Or, you know... read some news?

They didn't

Sony had more studios than MS in this gen.

10 MS studios right now for this gen+FASA and Ensemble=12

Sony have 13 studios+Incognito,Liverpool,Zipper=16

+ Bungie (owned by Microsoft until they became independant in 2007), Carbonated Games (closed 2008) and ACES Game Studio (closed in 2009), among others I'm forgetting. 

pokoko said:
ironmanDX said:
pokoko said:
Truly exclusive games are out of the question, of course. There is no way Microsoft is going to given EA enough money to cover revenue lost from not releasing PS4 versions.

They could just buy EA?!?

Exclusives aren't out of the question if they're new IP's. Games like FIFA are way out of the question though. I'm not sure why people are surprised, it's a typical M$ move and they've done it before and will do it again. EA aren't stupid, they'd have some form of compensation in the deal. Not to mention if it is timed exclusive for next gen only they really wouldn't lose money because no body owns a ps4! If they could sell %70 of the games and get a massive amount of compensation, they'd come out in front. It is a business after all.Microsoft sells more consoles, they sell the same amount of games (eventually) and get a massive amount of money too?

Stupid move if you, yourself are in fact stupid.

Hold on a moment.  What's with that last line?  Is that a personal insult over a videogame discussion?  Never mind that it doesn't actually make any sense, but was it really called for?

Go ahead, though, and believe that EA is going to invest millions into a new IP and half it's value by making it an exclusive.

It wasn't to you. Some people said it would be stupid for EA to do it so I was calling EA stupid if they didn't. My mistake. I didn't explain that point well enough.

If true it would be a complete Megaton for MS

MS moved a minimum of 10 million consoles this gen due to timed exclusives in both retail games and DLC. It's more tyan worth while for them to pursue it next gen especially huge franchises such as the ones EA owns