By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo might have a serious issue on their hands...

I expect the 3DS to see a huge rise in sales this year and keep momentum going.

Wii U might not be the next Wii but sales should increase eventually. Plus, DS didn't start out all that amazing but we all know how that went.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i don't think so. i think Ninty will drop price soon with no shuffle, and well that's were my thoughts end.

Wouldn't dropping price not be a great move either? Are they making a lot on each console?

Why would a falling stock price affect their cashflow? Investors don't really 'invest' in a company except when stock is issued for the first time.

Where are you getting the idea that a missed projection leads to people getting fired? Nintendo and Sony have both been consistently missing all their hardware projections for all platforms for a couple of years now and nobody's got fired yet. It's not a good thing, but it certainly ain't earth-shattering.

And yes, I mentioned Sony just because you told me not to. :P My point stands regardless, though.

Also, I think it's well-known that Nintendo has billions of dollars to fall back on. At least, that's what everyone has been telling me for years now.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

TheJimbo1234 said:
the_dengle said:

That's weird, I recall Nintendo missing their targets for the 3DS and Wii pretty much every time they've given estimates the past couple of years. In addition, another major company I won't name as per your rules isn't coming anywhere near meeting their sales targets

Sources?

It's proving a bit difficult to dig up old financial reports among the haystack of very recent reports. What I have is this article from last year showing Nintendo dropping their sales projections for the 3DS from 16 million to 14 million; then, in Nintendo's 2012 financial report, they revealed that 3DS hardware sales were 13.53 million units. Wii sales projections were dropped from 12 million to 10 million, and wound up being 9.84 million. I don't recall any major changes in management last year.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

Why would a falling stock price affect their cashflow? Investors don't really 'invest' in a company except when stock is issued for the first time.

A good point - it changes the value of the company, and that makes it harder for the company to find investors/external sources of income.

savisn said:
I think this has largely been already priced into the stock but I would expect it will have a drop when full year is announced. 3DS and software are doing well although I didn't check to see how that stacks up against their latest projections. Keep in mind the market cap right now is only about $1B over the cash value of the company. It's hard to go down a whole lot from that especially with the IP they own.

The company has $12B in cash/cash equivalents and no debt. I think they can ride out this storm.

I don't think Japanese companies operate in the same way as Western companies do. There hasn't really ever been a hostile takeover in Japan that's succeeded as far as I could find in my limited research. So a proxy fight from the shareholders seems unlikely. Nintendo's management will look bad but I highly doubt it ends in anything other than promises of how they plan to turn it around.

benji232 said:
It is interesting that you are saying that Nintendo can't really count on wii and ds money, but wasn't it just last year that an article came out that Nintendo had 10.8B US$ in the BANK. This means, that's without counting all of their franchises, buildings, etc. They are good to go for years even if they fail miserably which we all know that wont happen. Or atleast, in the handheld market.

That is an insane amount of capital for any company to possess. With that much money they should be ok, but it will be hit due to the vast cost of developing new products.

It is very simple what the Wii U's problem is. No games have come out for it in months. This is where Nintendo dropped the ball. If someone doesn't buy a Wii U in December if it is in stock, that means one of two things. A game didn't release that the buyer values enough to justify the price, or the person doesn't have enough money at that time to buy it. Since no games have come out since late December, all sales have been from people that only now can afford to buy the system.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Stocks are traded for the benefit of the shareholders. Company really only participates via IPOs, secondary offerings, or nibble via share buybacks. Nintendo has very little outside debt and ample cash. Even if stocks are manipulated below book value, company is not going under as the OP implies. Companies regularly are taken private and delisted in leveraged buyouts, for example.

Nintendo's woes are more image related than economical as Wii U sales are projected to produce a loss each time a unit is made. As can be seen with 3DS, Nintendo was startled and scared into a frenzy, which resulted in now a banner 2013 in terms of software lineup. In the future, console after this, Nintendo will strive to have titles that are more easily ported and hardware that more easily allows cross platform ports or simultaneous release. This allows a bigger Nintendo userbase for 3rd parties, but more likely, allows Nintendo to have a much more reliable 1st party release schedule.

With Wii U, Nintendo is writing and riding its own fortunes. Their success with 1st party software will determine if Wii U can experience a 3DS like resurgence, a less than broadly appealing but profitable dedicated Nintendo IP machine, or an outright push for a new console in a few years time if performance stays bismal.

Stock wise, there is not much problem as the disppointing prices may prove disheartening to shareholders but the company itself faces no danger. Management change is always going to happen, success or not. I personally have a hard time seeing this 4th quarter doing Iwata in, as his 2013 "guarantee" on 100 billion yen profit already bought himself through this holiday season.

NYANKS said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i don't think so. i think Ninty will drop price soon with no shuffle, and well that's were my thoughts end.

Wouldn't dropping price not be a great move either? Are they making a lot on each console?

it would be like when Sony did it but without as big a loss. i think Ninty is out $40 for each console sold. it really depends on what Ninty wants to accomplish. do they want to increase sales, or make profit.

i think Nintendo can hold off on a pricedrop but i don't think they will.

i think it was said they make profit when 2 games are sold with every console.

TheJimbo1234 said:

(unless it has huge funds to fall back on).

They do. Many Billions (in US $), in fact.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046