By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many of you still use Eplorer?

I've always been interested in a browser named Maxthon but haven't got time to try it out. Here's a comment from some guy from PC World:

Taken from http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135732-page,4-c,musicvideosharing/article.html

Maxthon

Considering that many people have moved their permanent residence to the Internet, you'd think folks would want better digs than Internet Explorer. Sure, there's Firefox; it's sort of the DIY log cabin that Linux devotees build themselves because, you know, Microsoft is evil. There's Opera, too--I have no clue why people use it. And then there's Maxthon, the Rodney Dangerfield of browsers--if Dangerfield looked like Brad Pitt and thought like Frank Lloyd Wright.

One possible reason Maxthon can't get no respect is that it originated in China and has never been properly marketed in the United States or Europe. But the people who have discovered it, as I did a couple of years ago, love it because it packs an arsenal of tools for blazing your way through the morass that the Web can become.

Maxthon, of course, has tabs--it had them before IE and Firefox did. But here's one example of why its tabs work better: When you reopen Maxthon, you're presented with a list of the tabs what were open when you last closed it, and you can pick up where you left off easily. Tabs can be renamed, locked in place, scooted around, tiled, constantly refreshed, and saved in groups that you can later recall in toto.

Other tools translate dozens of languages, let you edit a Web page to eliminate parts you don't want to appear in a printout, and zoom images or the entire screen.

A treelike history helps you find your way back to a certain page. The browser also lets you suck all the images off a page or collect notes and search with multiple engines. There's no way I can tell you all the things that have made me a die-hard Maxthon user. It's free. Try it yourself.

Around the Network
Game_boy said:
SamuelRSmith said:
I run the most uberist browser of all. Opera.

I think it's quite funny that alot of people always seem to put up a fight when they're asked to switch to either Fx or Opera, yet when they do, they very rarely go back.

Opera isn't free software*. Firefox Iceweasel is. Other than that I see no real differences. Therefore FF > Opera.

*Free as in freedom

Explain what you mean a bit better please? If it is just open source then it is a moot point. While people get all hog wild about it, Opera still has as many features as Firefox does and I think still has a few more. I know some of them were going to be added either with 3.0 or some other update.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I use FF but the rest of my family still uses IE. FF is much better.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Game_boy said:
I use Iceweasel.

@epsilon72: I didn't like Konqueror or indeed KDE3 at all. I use GNOME. I'll have to see how a KDE4 Kubuntu turns out before deciding whether to use that.

KDE4 will be my desktop of choice once the KDE team fixes the huge amount of bugs/things-that-are-missing in 4.0.0. Besides the broken stuff it really is nice and shows a lot of promise. Right now though I am using fluxbox, and I'd recommend only trying KDE4 out on a livecd or vm for the moment.

(and why don't you just use firefox? it's pretty much the same thing..)

@gnizmo - I use it for java stuff, since my system is x86_x64 and I compile my own 64-bit firefox (java doesn't like 64-bit firefox). It does have some problems, such as abnormally slow .gif rendering and no native side mouse button support, but otherwise it's not that bad now. (it uses a lot less memory and loads faster than firefox does)

@Game_boy - Epiphany ain't too shabby either, if you're using a gnome environment.  It's nice and quick.

KDE4 is looking really nice so far. I am looking forward to the final release. I might give Konqueror another whirl as an experiment but I am over all not optimistic for it. Opera runs on debian based systems so I will probably stick with it.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

I use Firefox and IE, a few sites I visit don't work well with Firefox.

Gnizmo said:
KDE4 is looking really nice so far. I am looking forward to the final release. I might give Konqueror another whirl as an experiment but I am over all not optimistic for it. Opera runs on debian based systems so I will probably stick with it.
Haha, flash doesn't even work in my 64-bit konqueror 4.0 (did work in 3.5.7), so you might want to wait to try the latest version until that is fixed if you have a x86_64 system

I've tried opera on previous distros, but not since I switched to Gentoo.  Maybe I should give it a whirl...

woodpd said:
As a developer, Firefox kicks arse. The developer toolbar extension rocks along with all the other cool extensions. Render it right in Firefox and it'll probably be OK on everything else. For all those websites that were made by crap developers and say IE only, you need a right smacking.

It's always refreshing to see people posting who give bad recommendations.  Firefox has the best tools and the most forgiving layout engine which makes it the most tempting browser to focus on yet also the worst browser to focus on.  Sites that would look perfect in Firefox may look slightly off in IE7 and completely broken in IE6.

been using firefox since it first came out

i started using firefox in like late 04 early 05, almost everyone i know uses it, including my mom and she's computer illiterate