By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So looking back, what was the best console last gen?

Machina-AX said:
Lots of people saying GC, I wonder why it didn't sell more.

Because it didn't had the PS2's casual appeal AND break-down rate. Don't forget the humongous library.

Around the Network
zackblue said:
Playstation 2, because it has the most variaty in games, and also had the best games of last genration.

Gamecube is secound, because it had mario, xbox only had halo and ninja gaiden. Therfore ps2 is the clear winner last gen in terms of games.

Ironic that you like the PS2 which had tons of Shovelware but don't like the Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Gamecube here, reliable hardware, great games like Zelda WW and Melee (that literally lasted all the years of the GC), and had the most fun with friends with it.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Tie with PS2 and Gamecube.

Oh by the way... I thought GC had the best rated games last gen (Metroid Prime and RE4)... did I miss something?

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
The Playstation 2 was easily the best.

Any other choice is absurd.

opinion =/= fact

GameCube>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS2 IMO. 

Machina-AX said:
Lots of people saying GC, I wonder why it didn't sell more.

Did you forget where you are, and the majority of the preferences here?

PS2 hands down, no question. 

It is an impossible question to answer. It comes down to what each persons definition of BEST is.

Best graphics/ best game play/ number of sales???

IMO it has to be the PS2. the others may have had a greater potential given the hardware/ exclusive IP's - but overall nothing came close.

Think for a few minutes about all of the games. Think of the graphical difference between early PS2 games to God of War II.

every genre was flooded. If sales and consumer dollars are any indication of what the "best system" was. Then it was a resounding PS2

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Best in absolute terms, or personal favorite?

Super Smash Bros. Melee is my favorite console game of all time, and I don't care about GTA or GT at all, so the Gamecube is probably my favorite. However, the PS2 definitely has a stronger library and wider appeal alltogether, even thought it has less games that I like.

For me it was the Gamecube. Even though it was the only console I had last generation, I think that if I had the other ones I would still prefer the Gamecube for having more games that fit my tastes.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!