By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How I See Next Gen Playing Out

Who Do You See Winning Next Gen?

PS4 343 58.53%

NeXbox 71 12.12%

Wii U 104 17.75%

They Will All Have ~33% Marketshare 66 11.26%

Total:584

well i've always said PS4, Nextbox, AND WiiU, would have even market share but i was indeed wrong.

Sony has EU on lock this time around, with likely very little resistance from Wiiu in JP.

WiiU will likely fight Ouya for 4th lol. WiiU will start to sell when Nintendo releases there big ip, but i don't think it will be sustainable.

nextbox will do well. NA i feel will treat nextbox and PS4 the same depending on exclusives and COD which the gap in that arena is closing. i'll just rap this up by saying the gap will be no more then 0-10m either way if Sony plays their cards right.

Around the Network

1. PS4
2. NeXbox
3. Wii U
4. The steam thing

platformmaster918 said:
psrock said:
I still can't visualized how the next xbox is going to be # 1 next generation. Is NA and UK enough to get them there?

pricing and release date (the 2 biggest advantages a console can have) went entirely in their favor this gen plus the cell plus PS3 launching against Wii plus Sony not having any system sellers till MGS4 yet they still will end up 3rd.  yeah I don't get it either.

To be fair, I need to see what they plan to release, but  the 360 is still expensive, yet people are expecting new xbox plus new  kinect to be cheap. I see huge start in NA, UK  but wont be able to keep up. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

@ Rol

Uh no, people knew all about the economy in 2007.  I mean it just happened to be the biggest focus of all the political talk in '07 and in '08, largely because of the election.  The news went on and on about it, as well.  Most importantly, real people started feeling its effects first hand.  Also, your statement doesn't really negate the fact that 360 sold less in '06, even with the better economies.

Fact is that the troubling economy didn't have an effect on video game sales until 2009. Analysts used to declare that the video game industry is recession-proof up until it was hit by it as well.

What the 360 sold in comparison to the PS3 doesn't really matter, because the point of relevance is the question if a $400 with almost no exclusive games can sell well. Since both of the aforementioned consoles struggled at $400+ price points during a good economy, there's no reason whatsoever to believe that new consoles at these price points won't struggle in this day and age. What games will be available that will make people say that they absolutely have to own these consoles?

Well, if the economy hit the consoles in 2009, I guess that didn't apply to the PS3, as it sold 2.8M more than it did the previous year.  And in 2010, it sold 900K more than in 2009.  In 2011, it sold 220K more than it did in 2010.  Only in 2012, thanks to the natural decline of the market at the end of the gen, did it start to see a decline YOY.  I think your problem is that you're looking at this from a Nintendo centric point of view.  I guess you think the decline of the Wii in 2009, even though it's always been cheaper, by 2.9M YOY had to do with the economy?  Nope.  It had to do with people starting to lose interest in the Wii.  Which is why when PS3 was still climbing in 2010, the Wii dropped another 4M YOY. 

The Wii U's problem has to do with interest in the HW, not the economy.  Interest is a 50/50 split between the attractiveness of the HW and the SW.  People may be interested in Nintendo's SW offerings, but like the N64 and Gamecube have shown us before, it takes more than that to make people buy your system. 

Sony and MS have everything to prove this gen. MS has to prove it wasn't a fluke, and they can compete.

Sony has to prove it was a fluke, and their comeback, is telling of the PS brands undying strength, and continued power and dominance that only wavered because of PS3's initial lack of software and price point.

at this point, it's all about price.

Around the Network

Its not always about winning it about the various companies making enough profit to carry on .I like having choice it makes gaming better for us all .too many threads on this site mainly from PS fans willing the demise of any choice .

HappyHenry said:
Its not always about winning it about the various companies making enough profit to carry on .I like having choice it makes gaming better for us all .too many threads on this site mainly from PS fans willing the demise of any choice .

agreed with everything but the bold. trust me it's equal when the fans making those threads own all 3 consoles. 90% of those threads are for conversation. the other 10% are to get a rise out of people.

platformmaster918 said:
psrock said:
I still can't visualized how the next xbox is going to be # 1 next generation. Is NA and UK enough to get them there?

pricing and release date (the 2 biggest advantages a console can have) went entirely in their favor this gen plus the cell plus PS3 launching against Wii plus Sony not having any system sellers till MGS4 yet they still will end up 3rd.  yeah I don't get it either.

My point exactly.  All of these problems seem to be addressed this gen. 

Price - Rumors all point to the price being $399-429.  This is a great price for the power and features you are getting, especially when compared to the $499 PS3.

Release Date - The PS4 and the NeXbox are both launching later this year.  So, at max the NeXbox will have a few weeks to a month headstart.  That is nothing compared to the 1 year head start the 360 got.

Cell - PS4 is going to have a MUCH more developer friendly HW compared to the PS3.  This will lead to multiplats that are equal to or, when combined with the better GPU, better than the NeXbox versions.

Games - It looks like Sony has got all the major, and a lot of the smaller, game companies on board from the start.  And we still have E3 left to learn what other launch window titles are going to be available.

Too soon to tell, but my $ is going towards the PS4 + Wii U combo, and it seems like the majority of my friends are going the PSX route. The indifference towards the Wii U is growing and more and more I get the sense people see it as a joke of a system (again in my area). It should be interesting, but for my region, I do not see the Wii U being either first or second. This gen it was slightly in favor to the Xbox 360, but if both consoles don't offer BC, release around the same time and Sony brings the goods then things could go in Sony's favor. Towards the end of the cycle the PS3 caught a lot of attention and now people are willing to give Sony a chance. Time will tell ....

EDIT

A major factor is the free online play. I hope Sony keeps it tiered. Premium service that requires a fee and basic that is gratis. A lot of people in my area are locked out from online play (XBL) due to inferior credit mechanisms and scarcity of cards for online play. This is a major reason why the PS3 has surfaced as an alternative to the Xbox 360 in my area.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

unless wii u does a complete turn around, its looking quite obvious that PS4 will win the next gen. i cant see the next xbox coming anywhere near! it would have to sell like 60-70m in UK and NA alone!