By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the 360 lose to PS3 and Wii because of its lineup?

From day one (with the XBox) Microsoft has been focused on capturing the American Core Gamer audience at the exclusion of all other demographics ... I presume that they expected that these influential gamers would (eventually) bring in the masses.

Most of the people who own XBox 360 systems see the game line-up with all the games they want, in all the genres they care about, and a few token games in other genres and proclaim that "The XBox 360 has the best and most diverse line-up!" The reality is, if that were the case everyone would see it and the XBox 360 would be selling like hotcakes.

At the same time it seems like the PS3 was designed to be in direct competition with the XBox 360 for this small demographic, and they seem to share most of the same games (which are virtually identical across platforms) so I can't see either system "losing" in comparison to the other based on their line-up diversity.

Now the Wii is another beast ... Designed to appeal to a very broad demograph it should have the most diverse line-up; so far we have only really seen this diversity comming from Nintendo, and in order for it to have the most diverse line-up third party publishers will have to step-up their efforts.

Around the Network

It definetly will be in third place by the end of the console war. I really do not think the console will lose though because it already has established itself as a great console in the gaming industry. I think things are picking up with the system as far as games are concerned. There are alot of games that I prefer over some of my PS3 games. The Xbox name is here to stay.

PLAYSTATON NETWORK: BLOODLINEZ

i think it will be:

1.Wii
2.Ps3
3.Xbox360

and i think the difference will be relatively big.....

not only because of it's lineup, but also because it was released before the other two systems, so Sony and Nintendo knew what they had to face......

also, the Wii motion-controls and Ps3 Blu-ray disc are way more appealing to public than what the Xbox360 offers.... ;p

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

@happysquirrel

no more heroes has started the diversity in the Wii's lineup. (it may not sell super, it may not sell horrible, but its a good start to a great 08 for the Wii. plus wiiware will become a major factor if nintendo can advertise this correctly.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
daactualfact said:
@happysquirrel

no more heroes has started the diversity in the Wii's lineup. (it may not sell super, it may not sell horrible, but its a good start to a great 08 for the Wii. plus wiiware will become a major factor if nintendo can advertise this correctly.)

Trust me, I know ... I was just saying that we need to see a lot more diversity from third party publishers before I feel comfortable claiming that the Wii does have the most diverse line-up.

Around the Network

Leni, you are 100% right imo!!! Blu-ray's appeal will garner attention to the PS3, and motion controls for the Wii have already garnered attention for Wii and will only spread through word of mouth and media! (like always!)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

True Genius

@happysquirrel

wiiware will be diverse, but in a smaller sense. (because, a lot of developers are talking about making "casual" games for wiiware which will sell and appeal widely to casuals but may not as much to the core.)

True Genius

Because the 360 is the only console that has no identity. It tries to copy the Playstation brand and then when Nintendo was a hit again, they try to copy them also. It's only popular in America and some few select markets. But Nintendo is well known worldwide by all type of gamers/gender and the Playstation brand (male gender) too...

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

The 360 can keep up longer with hype of Gears 2. Gears 2 is the only game right now, that has a shot at console selling type success. They need to announce it's quarter at GDC and hype it like it was Halo 4, till then. That'll be their "we got a mega release too" thing that their fans can get behind.

Until that happens, yes 360 will be playing with a handicap once Brawl and GT5 are released, at least worldwide.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

jheco05 said:
Because the 360 is the only console that has no identity. It tries to copy the Playstation brand and then when Nintendo was a hit again, they try to copy them also. It's only popular in America and some few select markets. But Nintendo is well known worldwide by all type of gamers/gender and the Playstation brand (male gender) too...

I would say the PS3 is the console that doesn't have it's own identify.  The 360 has a hardcore identity, the Wii a casual one, the PS3 on the other hand seems to want to copy both (motion controls from Wii, Xbox Live from 360) and they always seems to be one step behind the 360 in everything they do.