By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

Ljink96 said:
Just like Nintendo's Wii U. The company obviously has to preserve space for their initial programs and future programs. They PS4 has 8GB but only 4GB are useable. The Wii U has 2GB but only about 1GB is useable.

At MAX it has 3GB unused but that is very,  very, very unlikely. It is probably closer to 2GB but some rumors have it as low as 512MB.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Ljink96 said:
Just like Nintendo's Wii U. The company obviously has to preserve space for their initial programs and future programs. They PS4 has 8GB but only 4GB are useable. The Wii U has 2GB but only about 1GB is useable.

At MAX it has 3GB unused but that is very,  very, very unlikely. It is probably closer to 2GB but some rumors have it as low as 512MB.

There has been no confirmation whatsoever from Sony on how much can be used for games.  So why all the guessing games.  

Aldro said:

1. Better textures
2. More textures
3. More animations
4. More NPC's
5. More randomness
6. Larger worlds
7. More techniques (better types of lighting, DOF, AA)

In short, games will be made to accommodate less constraints. They will look fucking beautiful.

1, 2 & 3 is especially good for Naughty Dog :'D

I feel like your the only one that has actually made a list on what 8GB will allow.  Most just shrug it off and make it seem like it won't make a difference.  

nnodley said:
JoeTheBro said:
Ljink96 said:

There has been no confirmation whatsoever from Sony on how much can be used for games.  So why all the guessing games.  

Almost all the other rumors have turned out to be correct so this isn't a guessing game.

his is good news. We haven't even begun to see what the PS4 is capable of.

Around the Network

The other thing the 8gb could be useful for is a feature that essentially is like alt+tabbing on computer.

This allows it to be a much more "Media" center friendly device than the PS3,

disolitude said:
This is good news for the whole futureproofing of PS4.

But before people start saying this is an immediate game changer and how Killzone would look 5X better if they had 8GB ram to work with...please ask me how much RAM a game like Battlefield 3 uses, completely maxed, and running on 3 screens on PC at 5760x1080 resolution.

Hint - its less than 4 GB.

This... seriously....

I think it's great moving forward so I hope that with these kinds of specs, developers can start pushing hardware further.

What I hope to see out of Sony's move with the RAM/CPU/GPU is that developers can more easily utilize the hardware than they could with the PS3. With the more traditional PC hardware, that it can allow for a greater push forward for both consoles and PC.

Bring on more utilization of the hardware and the hardware I say!

Less shoddy PC versions would be nice too. Not only that, how about more advanced settings built into the settings menu, like FOV settings! I can dream can I?

Ljink96 said:

Stop spouting nonsense. Last we heard, 512Mb were used for the OS and 3.5 for games. If the RAM was doubled then we can only assume that 1GB is for OS and 7GB for games. 

Doesn't a ridiculous amount of Fast RAM such as this mean that Load times will be a thing of the past? I would imagine that every game will always run buttery smooth, no load times, no frame drops.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Well I'm going off the name of this topic smartypants. So it's still considerably less than expected. I really don't care what happens to PS4 anyway as of now.