By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Minecraft - How Long Have You Stuck with a Single World?

yo_john117 said:
Dosen't the PC version of Minecraft endlessly expand as you explore it? Either way that is a heck of a map size, I can see why a nether railway system is virtually mandatory at that point!

As for the 360 map size I say what we have is mostly big enough lol. Still takes forever to go anywhere via running. I wouldn't mind it if they increased it a bit (maybe doubled it at the most) but what I really want is for them to increase the ceiling build height. Right now it's at cloud level which IMO is far too low.

Technically, it IS endless, yes, but only because without cheats, it would be almost impossible to get to the edge of the world. See, there is always a 0, 0 mark, where you're at zero x-axis, zero z-axis (y-axis is for height). Once you get to x=12,550,820 or -12,550,820 or the same for the z-axis, the game pretty much breaks down. The physics fails at that point. But, basically, it means that your world can be approximately 25m x 25m squares. Pretty damn big. hehe The Earth has a surface area of about 510 million square kilometers, the game (if counting a square as a meter) is around 630 trillion square kilometers.

As for the height, aye, I imagine that could be a little annoying. With the PC version, they updated to the Anvil file format. So instead of only 128 blocks, you get 256. The bedrock is still at the same place, but the build limit became three times higher than before. Hopefully they let you guys have something similar.

Around the Network
CChaos said:
yo_john117 said:
Dosen't the PC version of Minecraft endlessly expand as you explore it? Either way that is a heck of a map size, I can see why a nether railway system is virtually mandatory at that point!

As for the 360 map size I say what we have is mostly big enough lol. Still takes forever to go anywhere via running. I wouldn't mind it if they increased it a bit (maybe doubled it at the most) but what I really want is for them to increase the ceiling build height. Right now it's at cloud level which IMO is far too low.

Technically, it IS endless, yes, but only because without cheats, it would be almost impossible to get to the edge of the world. See, there is always a 0, 0 mark, where you're at zero x-axis, zero z-axis (y-axis is for height). Once you get to x=12,550,820 or -12,550,820 or the same for the z-axis, the game pretty much breaks down. The physics fails at that point. But, basically, it means that your world can be approximately 25m x 25m squares. Pretty damn big. hehe The Earth has a surface area of about 510 million square kilometers, the game (if counting a square as a meter) is around 630 trillion square kilometers.

As for the height, aye, I imagine that could be a little annoying. With the PC version, they updated to the Anvil file format. So instead of only 128 blocks, you get 256. The bedrock is still at the same place, but the build limit became three times higher than before. Hopefully they let you guys have something similar.

Wow that is an insanly large map! I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time it would take to get from one side to another.

256 block build limit is definitely nice. I think we're still at 64 or 128 (probably 128 even though it doesn't seem to go that high). We actually have an update coming soon that adds a few things like spawn eggs and The End. There's also talks about a texture update in the future. I'm hoping the next update after the announced one adds all of the current PC items, increased textures, and doubled build limit and map size.

Hey what is the most impressive thing you've built? 

yo_john117 said:
Wow that is an insanly large map! I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time it would take to get from one side to another.

256 block build limit is definitely nice. I think we're still at 64 or 128 (probably 128 even though it doesn't seem to go that high). We actually have an update coming soon that adds a few things like spawn eggs and The End. There's also talks about a texture update in the future. I'm hoping the next update after the announced one adds all of the current PC items, increased textures, and doubled build limit and map size.

I wouldn't hold my breath for all of the PC additions so quickly. It took an awful long time for the PC version to get where it is now and I imagine they need to adjust things for the 360 version (especially balance), but eventually you guys should be able to get most, if not all, of the PC things to craft and use. As with all things gaming, patience is probably your best friend. *chuckles*

Hm. Well, I guess it depends on the definition of impressive. heh The World Tree is definitely the build that took me the longest and I feel pretty happy with that one, as well as my massive tower, but honestly? I think the thing I'm proudest of is the Nether Rail network. I've had to bridge five seperate lava lakes, using that 'creep to the edge and place your block method', for probably a hundred and fifty squares on one of them. It was huge. Cutting through mountains, trying to figure out the best way to get the level variations to work, having one of my launcher types stop working because of an update and having to place over a thousand squares of rail...that would probably be my most detailed build because you can't just wing it. You have to plan it really carefully or you waste rail and resources. Worst case, you'll cut through a block that sends you falling fifty squares onto a hard surface (lesser evil) or into lava (very agitating greater evil). That really took some doing to get right.

IsawYoshi said:
CChaos said:
Nice to see such quick responses! Anyone happen to know of any good upload places for pictures that don't have size limits? I'd love to show you guys my map.

@360 Players
Good that you guys are having fun with it! I haven't played it, but I've heard it's fun on the 360. I'm quite biased toward the PC version, I admit, because of the total lack of size limitations on the maps. My map actually takes a good two hours to try and sail across on boat. It's pretty crazy.

@IsawYoshi
Got any screenshots of your work? Sounds like that would be a pretty fun project.

@KungKras
Nice! So at least one long termer so far. I think I'll ask the same as Solaron and wonder if you have any screenshots? I'd love to see any you have. I've had a few long projects so far, the longest of which was creating a World Tree using only Survival mode. Far more thrilling to do massive builds in Survival than Creative, I've found. You actually get nervous and the blood starts pumping when you're standing on a one square wide scaffold seventy squares above the ground. Bit of a thrill. heh I've focused on three things: making impressive fortresses and homes, delving down into different dungeons and crevasses and exploring well out into the boonies. Makes for a very satisfying experience.

My computer crashed, and I lost all my work. I actually stoped playing minecraft because I realized how much I lost. But I can try to give you an image in your head. It was 201 blocks in diameter. The city was sorounded by a wall, around 60 blocks high at the highest, but for the most part 10 blocks, since I made it between some mountains. The wall had a 3 block wide room inside along the whole thing, and ten floors. The main tower basicly looked like the maain tower in minas tirith. There were also an enormous mine dug out by tnt under, to get all the material for the city.  

don't throw away the computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take out the hard drive and put it into a hard drive cabinet. That way you can use it as a portable hard drive.

You can find your minecraft world in  Users/username/appdata/roaming/Minecraft

I LOVE ICELAND!

CChaos said:
yo_john117 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for all of the PC additions so quickly. It took an awful long time for the PC version to get where it is now and I imagine they need to adjust things for the 360 version (especially balance), but eventually you guys should be able to get most, if not all, of the PC things to craft and use. As with all things gaming, patience is probably your best friend. *chuckles*

Hm. Well, I guess it depends on the definition of impressive. heh The World Tree is definitely the build that took me the longest and I feel pretty happy with that one, as well as my massive tower, but honestly? I think the thing I'm proudest of is the Nether Rail network. I've had to bridge five seperate lava lakes, using that 'creep to the edge and place your block method', for probably a hundred and fifty squares on one of them. It was huge. Cutting through mountains, trying to figure out the best way to get the level variations to work, having one of my launcher types stop working because of an update and having to place over a thousand squares of rail...that would probably be my most detailed build because you can't just wing it. You have to plan it really carefully or you waste rail and resources. Worst case, you'll cut through a block that sends you falling fifty squares onto a hard surface (lesser evil) or into lava (very agitating greater evil). That really took some doing to get right.

Heh, yeah I'm sure those updates are still quite a long ways away. 

When the game updates does the world you are currently on update too or do you have to start a new world?

Around the Network

I do not Know of this block limit. At least in a casual, peaceful world I hav e a lot more blocks in many structures. Are you talking about the number of blocks you can hold at one time in survival mode.?@yojohn or chaos?

chocoloco said:
I do not Know of this block limit. At least in a casual, peaceful world I hav e a lot more blocks in many structures. Are you talking about the number of blocks you can hold at one time in survival mode.?@yojohn or chaos?

The Block Limit is how high you can go into the sky before you hit the invisible ceiling.

Former something....

Blacksaber said:
chocoloco said:

The Block Limit is how high you can go into the sky before you hit the invisible ceiling.

Hmmm.... I see what they mean as the limit ends at the clouds. Though you can fly well above that. So far I do not feel limited b y the world size. It would probably take months of playing to expand outside of the area limit. *shrugs*

chocoloco said:
Blacksaber said:
chocoloco said:

Hmmm.... I see what they mean as the limit ends at the clouds. Though you can fly well above that. So far I do not feel limited b y the world size. It would probably take months of playing to expand outside of the area limit. *shrugs*

The build height limit wouldn't normall be a problem for me but I'm building a castle on top of a mountain so I only have 14 blocks of height before I reach that limit. 

yo_john117 said:

Heh, yeah I'm sure those updates are still quite a long ways away. 

When the game updates does the world you are currently on update too or do you have to start a new world?

Hm, depends. On a 360 world that's only 1000 blocks end to end, you might need to. When a chunk forms (usually 16 x 16), that's that, it's created. If you form all of the chunks in the world, there's nothing that can be new upon updating. So then you'd have to make a new world. But if you haven't formed all of the chunks, then no. This, of course, is only for new, naturally occuring blocks. For actual craftable items? Nope, you can use your old world.

Also, looking forward to seeing your castle!

Now that I've finished this dungeon I've been spelunking (four friggin' days to do it), I'm going to start looking for the site of my new build.