By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Confirmed: Games promote real-life violence

badgenome said:
LemonSlice said:
So she's wasting money and time playing bingo AND being part of a pyramid scheme? She's a double sucker.
I wonder what would have happened if they were playing COD and one was trying to sell Final Fantasy cologne.

This would happen:

I love how two of the games this guy's holding up take place hundreds of years ago.  As if he thinks jumping on top of a bell tower in colonial Boston or riding on horseback to the nearest saloon have some kind of present-day influence on people.  Jesus... get rid of all politicians.  Wipe them all off the board, clean slate.  That's what we need.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network
Screamapillar said:

I love how two of the games this guy's holding up take place hundreds of years ago.  As if he thinks jumping on top of a bell tower in colonial Boston or riding on horseback to the nearest saloon have some kind of present-day influence on people.  Jesus... get rid of all politicians.  Wipe them all off the board, clean slate.  That's what we need.

It doesn't need to be in the same era to be violence. Violence is violence.

happydolphin said:
Screamapillar said:

It doesn't need to be in the same era to be violence. Violence is violence.

Haha alright.  Surely you see my point, though.  That lassoing people or climbing old bell towers and jumping into hay carts aren't exactly things people realistically do nowadays, even if there were any correlation between playing video games and people walking into a school and shooting children.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Mummelmann said:
Black Friday also promotes violence.

Are we putting Black Friday in the same league as games because the sales at Black Friday are no joke. 

Screamapillar said:

Haha alright.  Surely you see my point, though.  That lassoing people or climbing old bell towers and jumping into hay carts aren't exactly things people realistically do nowadays, even if there were any correlation between playing video games and people walking into a school and shooting children.

Yah :) But I agree that excessive violence and sex in video games is an issue in general, your point made me smile.

Around the Network

i always knew it would come to this.

Lesson: never get between a gamer and his/her game. Clearly this over zealous avon lady was too fixated on selling her product that she failed in her basic market research about the best way to market to gamers. She read that in-game advertising is really effective, but didn't realise that only applied to electronic games.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

happydolphin said:
Screamapillar said:

Yah :) But I agree that excessive violence and sex in video games is an issue in general, your point made me smile.

Yeah, for sure.  I think that basically, bad parenting is an issue.  Letting eight year-olds play Black Ops II over voice chat against people in their 20's shouting profanities and getting pleasure from making head-shots.  With the parental controls built-in to every device that plays video games, there is little room for excuses.  Parents need to not buy kids M-rated games if the kids are too young to know the difference or if they exhibit signs of aggression.

Kazus said:
Mummelmann said:
Black Friday also promotes violence.

Are we putting Black Friday in the same league as games because the sales at Black Friday are no joke. 

Maybe it should be dubbed "Black & Blue Friday"?

Screamapillar said:

Yeah, for sure.  I think that basically, bad parenting is an issue.  Letting eight year-olds play Black Ops II over voice chat against people in their 20's shouting profanities and getting pleasure from making head-shots.  With the parental controls built-in to every device that plays video games, there is little room for excuses.  Parents need to not buy kids M-rated games if the kids are too young to know the difference or if they exhibit signs of aggression.

Yeah, I agree. I find that the rating system continues to lower the bar year after year, making an E game or a G movie contain more violence or suggestive themes than before.

But even adults are ingesting a lot of violence nowadays, which really wasn't the case before, and I believe it is not good for the fabric of our society in general over the long run. It mostly feeds a negative cycle in our society. It's hard to preach when some of these games please me and are hard to put down, though I know deep down that violence in games and movies isn't something I'm generally for, especially not in today's dose. Most popular games today are highly violent and it's a bit scary to be completely honest.